Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've spent the afternoon happily working on a number of little jobs. Fixed 3 and found 4 more:ROFLMAO:
The worst one, though, is one of inner rear tyres is missing a strip of tread about 1 inch wide but going nearly all the way round the tyre:Eeek:
I really don't want to drive it far and I don't carry a spare so does anyone know a good supplier of Goodyear 22.5 inch tyres and even better, someone who will come out and fit it?

Cheers
Doug

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
HiQ are the equity on Goodyear tyres GB they should be able to help what model of tyre is it G ???.

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Model? I knew I should have taken more info!
It's a Goodyear 255/70 R 22.5.

Regards
Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Thats the size you will need the model type or name on sidewall eg G???

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for the assist. Looks like another 20 mile round trip in the morning!

Regards
Doug

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ive not checked but there were some of that size in our classified adds on here
Geo

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Geo,
I'd seen them but they're only 235 and I need 255. Need the wide tyres for the cornering ::bigsmile:

Cheers
Doug

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Where ever you get it fitted dont forget to point out balance marks on rim to line up with red or yellow dot on tyre, I made a post on here about correct RV tyre fitting methods
Geo

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Geo

Thats something I didn't know amongst a zillion other MH facts (oops). Could you point me in the right direction as I will need new tyres this year and where to source them?

Ian
Three Green

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Heres the full post Ian
Rv Tyre Matched Mounting (Fitting)

Link Removed
Geo

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Took my Monaco to ATS Euromaster today and he said the tyre didn't need replacing:Eeek: In his opinion it's worn oddly but isn't illegal or dangerous. Still for peace of mind I'm going to change it.
Spoke to a few companies and it's beginning to look as though the G159 Goodyears are obsolete but I can get the same sizes from Hankook, Cooper and Dunlop.
Money is tight at the moment so I'm thinking of taking one of the front tyres and using it to replace the inner rear and put the new tyre on the front. Does that make sense? Financially and safety-wise?
While the Dunlop at £315 fitted is more expensive than the others I think that's the tyre I'd prefer. Does anyone have any experience of Hankook or Coopers?

Regards
Doug

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It does make sense to fit ex front tyres to rears, but when you are twinning them on the rear you need to make sure the tread depths are similar. Less than 3mm diffrance is the normal recommendation.

Dunlop are owned by Goodyear and make good tyres, but I would personally go for Michelin every time.

Richard...

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi, Thanks for that Richard. I'll check out Michelins as well.
Your comment about matching tread depth struck a cord. We had new wheel bearings fitted to the front hubs and an all round brake overhaul a few months ago. When they did it they did say they'd moved the tyres from front to rear. I'm wondering if they mismatched the tread depth.
Oh well, too late now.

Regards
Doug

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Whatever new tyres you buy make sure you ask how much the dealer will pay you for your old tyre casing.
Goodyear and Michelin are the most sort after casings and you will get a good payment that you then can offset on the new tyre price.
For info HiQ are the equity of Goodyear and ATS the equity of Michelin but some totally free independants can do good deals.

The G159 can also be regrooved to a depth of 3MM and 6mm wide and its an all axle tyre so this is worth checking out first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
After a bit of ringing round we found ATS Euromaster as a national supplier were very competitive. They offered to come out and fit on site but the tyre didn't get delivered to them. We were then told about Tructyres in Winchester. They had the right size tyre in stock and again I thought the prices were pretty good. Unfortunately when I go there they couldn't get the trims off!
Following Buccaneers advice I asked everyone about the value of the carcass. No-one wants it! One garage said that they'd charge me to dispose of it. I am tempted to keep it as most of the tyre depots have said it's ok.

Regards
Doug

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Doug

Probably like me you didn't get a spare tyre with your Monaco. Well, I have bought a spare tyre (just the cover, not the rim) and am about to fit it just inside the Genny door where it will be protected and won't increase the weight too much.

That way you could at least replace your 'dodgy' tyre if it let go on you in some awkward place:thumb:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
I used to work for Goodyear but its over a decade ago now,tyre casings from Goodyear and Michelin were very sought after if not damaged and even then a 22.5 would be worth about £30.
Here's a link to a casing company.
Services
Re regrooving I still have a regrooving manual fof most of the G series but it seems these are now obsolete.

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
has any one had a puncture in france or spain in an american rv and got a new tyre fitted without to much hassle, and if so who did you ring , or has anyone got any advice on this ive got nowhere to carry a spare

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Ron

Back in 2006 we had a blowout in Spain but that was on the rear of the Allegro managed to get to a services and change the wheel (we had a spare) it was August and I lost about 2 stone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: in the process.

We were staying in Javea and went to a tyre dealer and manage to buy 2 new tyres for the Allegro for about £180 9 ahd to wait a week) which I did not think was that bad, I had the two fitted and was able to put the other spare tyre (the one that had not blown)under the bed so I then had effectively 2 spares if I needed them.

I have the same problem as you with my Monaco as there is nowhere to store the spare tyre I persuaded the American dealer to give me however was also told that the front and back wheels are different anyway!! Do you know if this is true??

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Are the tyres different front to rear? Well they could be! Tyres are available as driven, steering or all-rounds. I've been told that the all-rounds don't wear as well as the others but as they're designed for 250,000 miles I don't think that's likely to be a problem :ROFLMAO:
The Goodyears I've got fitted at the moment are all-rounds which make the most sense to me. Unfortunately I can't get hold of the new G169 so I'm going to have to fit a Bridgestone on the front.

Cheers
Doug

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Are the tyres different front to rear? Well they could be! Tyres are available as driven, steering or all-rounds. I've been told that the all-rounds don't wear as well as the others but as they're designed for 250,000 miles I don't think that's likely to be a problem :ROFLMAO:
The Goodyears I've got fitted at the moment are all-rounds which make the most sense to me. Unfortunately I can't get hold of the new G169 so I'm going to have to fit a Bridgestone on the front.

Cheers
Doug

Hi Doug

I was told by a quite learned Monaco man that the front and back wheels themselves are different not the tyres something to do with the dish of the wheel anyone know if this is true?

Regards Pat

OP
OP
Thepips

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Doug

I was told by a quite learned Monaco man that the front and back wheels themselves are different not the tyres something to do with the dish of the wheel anyone know if this is true?

Regards Pat

:Eeek: I hope not! They swapped the fronts and rears over at the last service!
Maybe it's specific to models but it would explain why they don't supply a spare wheel.

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back