Tour Guide Wanted 2022 Europe Road Trip - Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
It’s been 10 years since our last trip
We would like to do a road trip for 6 weeks next summer, thinking of arriving via the tunnel, to Amsterdam via Bruges then down to Italy (maybe) through Germany and Austria.
Pretty much a blank canvas we will have our bikes with us to explore some of the towns along the way, Id like to revisit Fussen where I went with the school over 50 yrs ago.

suggestions please

thanks all

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
In resources there is link to one of our Germany trips which included Fussen.
It took 3 weeks from the tunnel.
For my style of travelling, I wouldn’t want to cover so much ground as you are suggesting. Hopefully you have years and years to go Motorhoming so save some bits for later.
Press download on this page, and it links to a dropbox file.

OP
OP
Underpar
Aug 7, 2020
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
For my style of travelling, I wouldn’t want to cover so much ground as you are suggesting. Hopefully you have years and years to go Motorhoming so save some bits for later.
Hi

thanks for that it’s saying I’ve no permission to download?
Kevin

OP
OP
Underpar
Aug 7, 2020
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I’ll try again later might be an internet connection

OP
OP
Underpar
Aug 7, 2020
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Perfect thankyou

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The romantic road through Germany incorporates many lovely towns on the way. Rothenburg my favourite. It ends up in Fussen. I would definitely tour the Moselle valley from Koblenz to Trier on the way, it’s a beautiful tour with many aires/ stellplatz en route.
Phil

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not what you want to hear, but my advice is just follow your nose, too much planning sometimes makes it that you might bypass somewhere interesting just to keep to your schedule, we have been doing tours of Europe for 12 years now and never know where we are going to be beyond the next couple of days, just go with the flow.
Have a final destination in mind by all means but don't regiment how long it's going to take you to get there.
Our final destination is usually somewhere in Italy then work our way across the top of Spain and come back up through France but never been the same places more than once unless we want to. (y) :Smile:

OP
OP
Underpar
Aug 7, 2020
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Thanks Chaser, how long does it normally take you to get to Italy?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks Chaser, how long does it normally take you to get to Italy?
As I say, it varies as to what we are doing, but we like to go to ventimiglia market just over the border from Menton, on a Friday, so if we go on the Sunday train we can get there for then in 5 days, quite easy, but usually get sidetracked and make it 12 :doh: :Smile:

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We did a route through to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein etc. and also to do some bike rides along the Bodensee.
This link might work, but I can't guarantee it.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We learned our lesson on our very first European trip. I was trying to show my wife many of the places I frequented as a coach driver.
But when we got back, we asked ourselves what we'd seen - the answer was miles and miles of tarmac!
Since then we've "planned" shorter trips, usually with either a theme or an overall destination but hardly ever have we had time limits involved - we just go with the flow.

Link to our various trips in the signature.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have not been to Europe yet but hoping to next year. I like the idea of themes to give the inspiration for planning but what themes. Sorry if I sound as though I lack imagination but like the original question am looking for starters for ten. Ideas appreciated.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We always seem to end up in a church or a cathedral,neither of us is religious we just like stunning buildings.
Also food and drink can be a running theme for us always like to try new things.
It’s a shame that live music or theatre has been so restricted the last year as that is a great one if you can combine everything together and then get to enjoy some local Talent like fado in Portugal Etc etc.
Anything can be a theme it just has to be something that you love Or appreciate.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have not been to Europe yet but hoping to next year. I like the idea of themes to give the inspiration for planning but what themes. Sorry if I sound as though I lack imagination but like the original question am looking for starters for ten. Ideas appreciated.
Is there anything that you are particularly interested in! We often plan a trip around a classic car event such as Classic Pau, Classic Monza, Classic Le Mans etc. Or maybe Tour de France.
We might just decide to see the Gorge du Verdun in southern France, the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain.
Now we are more experienced, we just go! Every town, village etc has something to offer.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Is there anything that you are particularly interested in! We often plan a trip around a classic car event such as Classic Pau, Classic Monza, Classic Le Mans etc. Or maybe Tour de France.
We might just decide to see the Gorge du Verdun in southern France, the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain.
Now we are more experienced, we just go! Every town, village etc has something to offer.
We have based a couple of trips on French Beau Villages and one on the German Romantic Road.

We drove round the Gorge de Verdun several years ago, in February in the snow! Well worth it. Glad we did it when you could see down into the gorge. I don’t think it would be as good when the vegetation is thicker.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We did a tour some years ago on the theme of the Cathars and the Occitan. We travelled down to the Languedoc to Carcassonne and explored the Cathar Castles and their tragic history, especially in Beziers .also took in the Canal du Midi and dipped a toe in the Med at Agde.
(Languedoc means the Language of the Oc)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We would like to do a road trip for 6 weeks next summer, thinking of arriving via the tunnel, to Amsterdam via Bruges then down to Italy (maybe) through Germany and Austria.
Pretty much a blank canvas we will have our bikes with us to explore some of the towns along the way, Id like to revisit Fussen where I went with the school over 50 yrs ago.

suggestions please

thanks all

It might depend on when you are likely to be able to do another trip for 6 weeks or more. If I had 6 weeks I'd consider driving down to Greece, taking 2 weeks to get there, 2 in Greece and the option of 2 weeks back or an extra week in Greece and one week to get back.

We've not done that route but had 3 weeks down to Croatia, around and back. We would happily go back... And spend more time in Bosnia and then south to Greece.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
book the channel crossing then flip a coin left or right out of calais
Our very first trip after moving back from New Zealand was a 3 month trip around Europe and that's exactly how we started with a night at the CCC site at Folkestone before taking the chunnel and a coin toss on left and right out of the tunnel.

We had 8 weeks to get to the alps for a birthday celebration with some friends but no set itinerary and wandered around was the best trip we had.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
There is a good camper stop on the edge of Fussen, by some supermarkets, that is walkable into the town. To give you some idea of times we would come off the ferry in Zeebrugge about 0930 then first night just into Germany at Kyllburg. Second night just south of Ulm in Germany then Fussen the next day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back