2018 Ducato 2.3td regular engine fan noise (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
hi guys, hoping you can help. I have 450 miles on my 2018 Ducato 2.3td, and right from day one I noticed lots of intermittent fan noise, sounds very much like the radiator fan, it does this when cold, so it’s not when getting too hot, it cuts in, runs for maybe 10 seconds and stops, 30 seconds later, it’s on again. I assumed it was normal so ignored it (maybe it is normal?) until today I was dropping it off at a new parking place, and my relative was in the car in front, it was them that commented as they could hear it while I was driving behind (perhaps they meant at the traffic light)
Seems a bit random. I ‘think’ it does it with the air con on, didn’t notice it with the air con off.
Does anyone recognise this as something that theirs does ?

I have a work van, which has the same engine, but without air con, and I don’t notice the noise, is it some fan on the air con possibly ?

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Yes, mine does it if I have the AC on (even if the engine is cold the fan kicks in), no idea why - mines an older Ducato though (2010) - confused me for a while as well.

RgdsJim

Jim

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thank you guys, seems it likely to be normal then, good news

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Exactly the same with my last van. It is very annoying but normal

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sounds very much like the radiator fan, it does this when cold,

as I have been informed...

If it is in the process of doing a DPF re-gen, the fan will keep running even when engine is cold..

I don''t know this until the fan on my Skoda Octavia was running after a very short journey, less than 3 miles, and engine not even up to normal temperature.. I read the above information on a Skoda forum

WHY DOES MY TDI COOLING FAN RUN AFTER SHUTTING THE ENGINE OFF?
April 30, 2012· by Georgetown Volkswagen· in Tech Tips. ·

It’s cold outside; you went for only a short trip up the road, the engine is not even warm yet but when you shut the engine off and get out you notice the cooling fans buzzing away like they do on a hot summer day. This can’t be normal, right?

This is a common concern with new Clean Diesel owners and rightfully so. The thought of walking away from your Volkswagen with the cooling fans buzzing away leaves most people with images in their heads of dead batteries and tow trucks. Rest assured—this is in fact normal operation. The after-running of the cooling fans is deliberate and can sometimes last up to 16 minutes after switching the engine off. The after-running process prevents excessive engine compartment temperatures caused by the diesel particulate filter regeneration cycle. The cooling fans may continue to run even after driving less then 3.2 km.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is extremely interesting Jim and thanks for sharing**, but on my van at least, this was definitely the AC fan, as it doesn’t do it when the AC is off.

** I assume that this applies to all VAG group diesels and possibly others

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
hi guys, hoping you can help. I have 450 miles on my 2018 Ducato 2.3td, and right from day one I noticed lots of intermittent fan noise, sounds very much like the radiator fan, it does this when cold, so it’s not when getting too hot, it cuts in, runs for maybe 10 seconds and stops, 30 seconds later, it’s on again. I assumed it was normal so ignored it (maybe it is normal?) until today I was dropping it off at a new parking place, and my relative was in the car in front, it was them that commented as they could hear it while I was driving behind (perhaps they meant at the traffic light)
Seems a bit random. I ‘think’ it does it with the air con on, didn’t notice it with the air con off.
Does anyone recognise this as something that theirs does ?

I have a work van, which has the same engine, but without air con, and I don’t notice the noise, is it some fan on the air con possibly ?

I have around 600 miles on the clock and can't say that I have noticed but will check.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I wonder if what you're hearing is the air con compressor kicking in and out (which is what it does when you have the air con on) rather than the engine cooling fan?
The engine cooling fan should only kick in if the engine gets very hot. But the air con compressor on/off cycle happens all the time as soon as your turn the air con on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wonder if what you're hearing is the air con compressor kicking in and out (which is what it does when you have the air con on) rather than the engine cooling fan?
The engine cooling fan should only kick in if the engine gets very hot. But the air con compressor on/off cycle happens all the time as soon as your turn the air con on.

that is what I thought until I read about the DPF re-gen cycle ..

the engine fan runs even when the engine is stopped and NOT up to temperature if it's in the middle of a DPF regeneration cycle ..

Air con compressor cannot kick in and out after engine is stopped..

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
That is extremely interesting Jim and thanks for sharing**, but on my van at least, this was definitely the AC fan, as it doesn’t do it when the AC is off.

** I assume that this applies to all VAG group diesels and possibly others

Mine does it IF the AC is on**

** no idea if VAG group diseasels do it though as mines a Fiat ;)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It doesn't seem very likely that the ECU would force a DPF regeneration after only 450 miles. That might indicate a faulty sensor that is misleading the ECU into believing that the DPF is nearly blocked so I would get it to a Fiat Professional garage to have a look at what is going on. It should be a warranty item.

My 2017 2.3 Euro 6 has only run the fan in the engine compartment on one occasion after switching off, but this was after a lot of stop start driving in heavy traffic on a warm day. So nothing odd about that given the circumstances, although the loud noise level of the fan takes some getting used to. I keep the aircon on all the time and the compressor makes much less noise - barely noticeable on mine.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It doesn't seem very likely that the ECU would force a DPF regeneration after only 450 miles.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/diesel-particulate-filters

Active regeneration

Many cars don't get the right sort of use for passive regeneration to work so car manufacturers build in ‘active’ regeneration where the engine control software senses that the filter’s getting blocked and injects extra fuel into the engine to raise the exhaust temperature and trigger regeneration.

Active regeneration will be initiated every 300 miles or so depending on how you use your car and will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. But it’s a problem if your journey’s too short and the regeneration doesn’t finish.

During active regeneration you may notice:

• Cooling fans running
  • Faster engine idle speed
  • Automatic Stop/Start doesn’t work
  • Increased fuel consumption
  • A hot, acrid smell from the exhaust.
  • The engine sounds different
more from the RAC

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/diesel-particulate-filters/

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Almost certainly the fan is cutting in to draw air across the air conditioning condenser, this is the case on most, if not all, modern vehicles, without which the air conditioning will not work to it's full extent and there is a possibility of overheating occurring.
Certainly if the air conditioning is switched off and fan cuts in it may well be for a DPF regeneration but doubtful on a newish vehicle.
Some vehicles will have 2 fans, 1 for engine cooling and a condenser fan which works only with air conditioning on.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It doesn't seem very likely that the ECU would force a DPF regeneration after only 450 miles.

I've seen a few reports that average distance between active regens is around 400-450 miles on the Euro 6 engine. My Euro 5+ averages 800-850 miles.

AdrianJ

Free Member
Sep 6, 2019
Crewe
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
I have the same problem on my 2019 Peugeot Boxer. It’s definitely the Air Con fan in the engine bay and only come son when air con button is pressed and engine switched on or running.
Tried asking Peugeot but they have no clue and suggested I check the fluid levels which os nothing to do with air con. :(

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Some vehicles without aircon will only have one fan , some with aircon will also have one fan , but in that case the fan will be triggered by coolant temp sensor , or operation of aircon . The reason that it operates with aircon is down to the vehicle cooling may be within parameters and insufficient air is passing over the aircon condenser for it to operate at peak efficiency . This has become more critical over years as the emissions levels have to be lowered, it therefore requires the aircon to be at peak efficiency , so the engine is not being loaded for longer periods, also partly as a result of change of refrigerant (also less efficient ) . Years ago some used to run the aircon fan continuously from the moment it was turned on (usually in a twin fan setup) . This due to electrical load would also increase emissions. HTSH .

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
thanks for the information, interesting indeed :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It’s the air con fan that kicks in constantly. Had it on our 2013 Peugeot and our latest 2018 Fiat. It’s normal and nothing to worry about.
When the DPF regenerates under normal circumstances, ( ie, no dash warning light) it takes about 15 minutes to complete. Sometimes if you stop the engine while it is still on the regeneration cycle, or has just finished, the engine cooling fan will continue running for a while, sometimes for a few minutes.
Again, it’s normal. Our Fiat seems to regenerate the DPF every 400 miles or so, especially when we are just pottering about. You can tell by the engine note changing slightly, it seems a bit clattery till it finishes.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I have a Subaru Legacy estate that I use for carrying my music gear to gigs and as a runabout when it snows/freezes (it’s All Wheel Drive) as my Mercedes refuses to go out in it. It has two fans, one of which comes on immediately if the Aircon is switched on and goes off if you switch the Aircon off. I’m assuming that yours is similar reasoning and is as it should be.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a loud and vibrating fan cut in a few times shortly after driving off on our last van a 2014 2.3 150, never found out what it was, it only did it a few times.
Current van is 2017 2.3 150 done 22,000 miles its never done it. The engine fan has cut in after stopping a few times, on a hot day (30+) or after a long trip.
We always run with the aircon on, never turn it off.

AdrianJ

Free Member
Sep 6, 2019
Crewe
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
Exp
Thanks for all the tips and knowledge share.

The fan is definitely the aircon one and there is another for the radiator.

The fan comes on for say 15 seconds then goes off then repeats the whole time the aircon is switched on so I'm not sure its the DPF as I would have expected it to run for longer, will try and get it into the nearest Peugeot dealer and get them to check it.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mazda bongos have 2 dual speed fans, when the ac is on the fans come on low speed this is intentional to deal with the extra load of the ac compressor. The high speed only at e trezme tempeeratures. The bongo cooling system is quite complex and the fans (if on before ignition switch off) will continue to run untill a temperature limmit is achieved. There is a probability the fiat engine uses a simular approach.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks for all the tips and knowledge share.

The fan is definitely the aircon one and there is another for the radiator.

The fan comes on for say 15 seconds then goes off then repeats the whole time the aircon is switched on so I'm not sure its the DPF as I would have expected it to run for longer, will try and get it into the nearest Peugeot dealer and get them to check it.
Did you take it to a dealer and did they tell you it was normal?

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just a related issue.
Nothing wrong with my 2008 2.3 130hp but I noticed a dull thrum when cruising at about 60mph on the motorway. Started suspecting bearings all over the place etc.
Turned out it was the aircon system (standard Fiat can style) , switching off aircon kills the sound.

Anybody else noticed this?

Like everybody else at slower speeds the aircon cycles on and off.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Just a related issue.
Nothing wrong with my 2008 2.3 130hp but I noticed a dull thrum when cruising at about 60mph on the motorway. Started suspecting bearings all over the place etc.
Turned out it was the aircon system (standard Fiat can style) , switching off aircon kills the sound.

Anybody else noticed this?

Like everybody else at slower speeds the aircon cycles on and off.
It's possible that your air con is lowish on refrigerant and compressor is scavenging. More likely bearings in compressor clutch are worn, when aircon turned off less stress less thruming.

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It's possible that your air con is lowish on refrigerant and compressor is scavenging. More likely bearings in compressor clutch are worn, when aircon turned off less stress less thruming.
Could be.
I only had it re-gassed 2 years ago but it was nearly empty, possibly a very slight leak?
Worked fine last year.
I’ll get it checked later this year.

I assume the clutch is electromagnetic but of course there will be a bearing on the permanently driven pulley side of the clutch.

Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just remembered, the aircon drive belt if I am correct is stretch belt, ie. no tensioner.
So I can rule out excessive belt tension overloading a bearing perhaps.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I think it is the pet dragon living under the bonnet??Always know when a ducato is pulling in to park near us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back