2017 Autotrail Delaware S problems (1 Viewer)

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi,
Has anybody else had any problems with there delaware or similar?
We have owned 6 motorhomes which have all had problems but nothing like this one!
In its short life it has already had to go back to the factory to have various repairs carried out including repairs to the side panels re sealing of external seals.
Since then on a recent trip we encountered water running out of the roof! ( Dealer cant find a leak!)
We also have the new style dometic fridge which is so loud we turn it off at night so we can sleep!
My question basically is are we on our own or have autotrail standards started to slip?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Martin,

The quality of Autotrail motorhomes is questionble at times and they need to pick up their game IMO.

Our first Autotrail (MY 2016) was a bloody nightmare and the list of build quality faults was huge. We got rid of it within a few months of ownership. It's the best thing we did.

How old is your van?

All the best,

Andrew

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Hi, Martin
We have a 2015 Delaware and have had a few problems including washroom door seal splitting x2, cracks in
rear top panel where it joins the roof, joints where overcab meets side panel not sealed properly.
It was in the dealers earlier this year for the cracks repairing but they only bodged them so they are back
again. Then the person I was dealing with at the suppliers proved to be totally useless and said the repairs
they carried out weren't guaranteed so I would have to pay myself. This resulted in an email to the owner
of the company and he agreed to repair it.
We visited Motorhome Show in October and looked at the latest Delaware, we were surprised how much they
have been cheapened. In the bedroom no large Heki skylight that's gone, no pelmets and curtains,no clothes
wash storage. no dressing table. In the kitchen area the illuminated back splash behind the sink has gone.
I'm sure if I had looked for longer I would have found more items missing.
In recent years they have increased the price substantially whilst at the same time removing value from the
motorhomes.
Where on the roof is the water coming from, that could cause a lot of damage more so if it freezes.

Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Im sorry to say , we looked at them and then bought a Globecar as we didn't like the build quality.

OP
OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

Its a 2017, and the water was running in from behind the control panel housing above the door and where the overhead cab meets the coach built side!

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Overcab joint near side.jpg
Hi,

Its a 2017, and the water was running in from behind the control panel housing above the door and where the overhead cab meets the coach built side!
This is where the sealant wasn't applied properly on our van.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi,

Martin,

I think Ray may have solved your cab-to-hab ingress problem but there is still the first point - the control panel.

Are you able to access your van now. If so, grab a step ladder and look on the roof space which is directly above the control panel. Are there any aftermarket bits on the roof in that location, i.e. solar panel wires, tv aerials, mounting points for aftermarket gear etc.

All the best,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
View attachment 201543
This is where the sealant wasn't applied properly on our van.

One more point. If there is a water ingress point in the area above the CP then it may also be flowing to the front of your van under the roof lining. Lots of vans do have a slight forward incline in their design so this may well be causing you the second ingress issue.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i feel for you i really do as my 2015 Delaware was a nightmare from start to finish, loads of issues around cracks, cab sealant non existent, damp in back garage, cowlings cracked. I had so many issues i sold it back to them but our new rapido to be fair is also causing a issues but this is mainly down to the dealer not playing ball (they are now but it has taken a long time). Autotrail just dont seem to care about quality anymore, i was told it was to be expected which was like red rag to a bull. Waste of time going to Autotrail you need to go to the dealer as they are the ones you have the contract with, if it were me and new i would play the "not fit for purpose".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't help with the general bits as I've only ever owned Hymers but the fridge is either the burner is not lined up properly, it only locates of a couple of small steel lugs and if it's not central under the chimney it roars and sounds like a blast furnace. If it's not that it needs a new burner.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm posting all our woes here, it might get the message across to some I hope.
Read the message and feel free to add.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
2017 and already been back to the Autotrail Factory to fix the problems and still not up to standard. Have you considered rejecting it under the sale of goods act?

At times like this its worth spending a few Ā£ā€™s to discuss the problem with a solicitor who deals with these types of things.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

It looked to me as if the young lady pushing the broom was the best skilled employee amongst them.

The application of the mastic beading was the worst I've ever seen.

No wonder their vans are so shoddy.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It looked to me as if the young lady pushing the broom was the best skilled employee amongst them.

The application of the mastic beading was the worst I've ever seen.

No wonder their vans are so shoddy.
I know, how shocking was that and they filmed and displayed it like it's something prestige.

OP
OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Perhaps the poor sealing is to let the water run OUT of mine:xangry: , thanks for your replies so far and keep them coming!
Would still like to hear from anybody with the dometic RFM 8505 fridge fitted, this is the fridge with the pull out draw below the main compartment.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Perhaps the poor sealing is to let the water run OUT of mine:xangry: , thanks for your replies so far and keep them coming!
Would still like to hear from anybody with the dometic RFM 8505 fridge fitted, this is the fridge with the pull out draw below the main compartment.

Have you examined the roof yet to see if there are any aftermarket entry points within the vicinity of the CP.

Also, have you sent an enquiry about your fridge to dometic customer support?

Cheers,

Andrew

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Wierd, they must be the only manufacturer producing Motorhomes by that method no wonder they have so many problems. If they are going to apply the sealant like that why not save more money and not bother with any.
They said they had inspectors all down the line, do they employ bind ones?

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
That sealant application was dreadful,Someone should make this a major issue with Autotrail.

OP
OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi Andrew,
Yes and no obvious entry points on the roof that look dodgy all well sealed!
As for reporting the problem to dometic, yes we have and they say the noise from the fridge is acceptable despite sending them a recording of the noise at its worst! they obviously do not have a motorhome so do not understand the problem!
I think the advice in a previous reply might have to be the next step. Solicitor!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As for reporting the problem to dometic, yes we have and they say the noise from the fridge is acceptable despite sending them a recording of the noise at its worst! they obviously do not have a motorhome so do not understand the problem!
On my last van from new I had the noisy burner (8505 Fridge Freezer) and the fridge was worse at cooling than the normal poor Dometic standard, got a local service guy out and he changed the burner (with my help useless twit). It cooled better and was a lot quieter but still a bit noisy. While in Greece fridge failed to light the ignition wires near the buner had tracked out and burnt through. I had to take the burner out to repair it used self amalgamating tape worked a treat. Anyway after putting the burner back in the fridge ran even cooler and was very quiet, I obviously got the burner lined up better.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew,
Yes and no obvious entry points on the roof that look dodgy all well sealed!

G'Day Martin,

I was wondering if you saw my thread the other day regarding a leak on my new van (4 months old).

The roof is incredibly well engineered but it was the aftermarket solar panel fitment which caused a water ingress issue.

It looked fine when I originally inspected it but it wasn't until the water came in that I changed my mind:xgrin:

That said, there is the question about why you should have to put up with this crap on a new van. I like your legal course of action idea.

All the best,

Andrew

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
From RV FT ... I went for an AT 840d tag ..2008 .( few years ago now) . Nice van ... I thought .... !!!! . Build quality appalling.... Electrics via the sergeant box (replaced 3 times) ..Water ingress in the shallow garage ... Cracked / split outside wall on offside lounge window frame .... Water ingress via windows X2. ....... On inspection behind the bling ... Screws not drilled into bulkheads supporting seatee & more ...
Didnt have that long & Px for AT Cheyenne ...on Mercedes 3 lite auto ... which was purchased for the Mercedes auto ...
Wish I hadn't ... Had that for six months with much the same issues ... PX for Burstner tag .... lovely ....
During my brief ownership of AT vans I have to say I was not impressed & calls etc to At were , should I say , rubbish in regard to my complaints ... Both vans were just 3 years old & one owners ... My main gripe was all the swarf left in between the double floors ... They can't be bothered to hoover it all up & as ya can imagine there's a lot of it .... Called AT ... Their response ... Sorry !!! A one off ... Yeah right ... On the Cheyenne. MERCEDES BASE..... exactly the same ... Now that's poor ...
Some owners lov em & have really good experiences with them ... However if ya look a bit beyond / below cupboard .... floors .. piping ... etc ya can see the poor build quality ... ( then )
My 840d tag actually froze up ... with heating on .... On inspection .... Water pipe was run under the floor.. OUTSIDE with very weak & flimsy foam covering around the pipe ...
Hello! !! Doh ... I boxed this in & used a foam insulation filler . Job done ....
Must admit I couldn't fault the Burstner ... Never froze up etc ... & now I've down sized to the Rapido. .. ( ya can check .. what have you done to yre motorhome threads ) for my improvements .... But having worked on the van it's the same build as a Burstner. .. So I'm well pleased with it ...
Just saying ..... But that's my experience & I hope my txt has provided some thought for the AT Company .....
However they sell thousands a year so that can't all be bad ...

JerryW21

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Hi,
Has anybody else had any problems with there delaware or similar?
We have owned 6 motorhomes which have all had problems but nothing like this one!
In its short life it has already had to go back to the factory to have various repairs carried out including repairs to the side panels re sealing of external seals.
Since then on a recent trip we encountered water running out of the roof! ( Dealer cant find a leak!)
We also have the new style dometic fridge which is so loud we turn it off at night so we can sleep!
My question basically is are we on our own or have autotrail standards started to slip?
Our 2017 was a complete shambles from day 1. Shower door falls out whilst driving, cupboard doors not fitted properly and fall off completely, fridge door covers fall off, fridge door has to be forced open, toilet door hinge fell apart, awning gearbox broke after using it twice, awning material fitted back to front, it seems everything is lose never driven such a noisy motorhome, never again will we buy AutotrailšŸ˜”

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our 2017 was a complete shambles from day 1. Shower door falls out whilst driving, cupboard doors not fitted properly and fall off completely, fridge door covers fall off, fridge door has to be forced open, toilet door hinge fell apart, awning gearbox broke after using it twice, awning material fitted back to front, it seems everything is lose never driven such a noisy motorhome, never again will we buy AutotrailšŸ˜”

If you access the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club and go back 2-3 years then you'll see that the Autotrail Delaware has been reported many times for its horrendous build quality issues.

It's a van and a brand that I would well and truly avoid at all costs.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues though - a very sad state of affairs but not at all uncommon with this manufacturer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back