Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
Martin,

Has the van already been fixed by the Autotrail factory at Grimsby or is this its first trip there.

If the Autotrail repair fails to remedy the problem then you'll most likely be able to consider rejection - but not until the company has had a chance to repair it first.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Might it be an idea to contact Trigano direct to detail your problems or ask autotrail for a company contact at the head office the other trigano brands do not seem to have the same level of problems

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000 DFH
Exp
since 2013
One of the worst decision i made was buying an Autotrail Delaware (2015 Model) and brand new, so so many problems i lost count. It went back to the dealers so many times i had more mileage on it from repair work than i actually did using it. In the end i had enough and just after 12 months of owning it i decided to get shot of it, that was one of the best decisions i made. Make no mistake you will have issues no matter what MH you buy but it is how these issues are addressed and how frequent they are that to me makes the difference.

If i was in your shoes and i could reject it then I would have no hesitation as these issues will not be the end of it, and if like me you need to keep your blood pressure down then getting rid of it will most likley save your life :)

Just my opinion having owned the same MH aside from "S" on it.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
It's terrible to hear about your woes, especially as autotrail are meant to be such a quality high spec item.

Here's the latest factory tour video. About 3.30 mins in they get to the inspection stage, but makes me wonder if they employ blind people to conduct the final inspection.

Also, I don't see any stage inspections to ensure those areas that are hidden out of sight to the final inspector are to the correct build standard.

Why not add a comment on YouTube and help grab their attention along the way. I added my own on their last video about the quality of work hidden away behind cupboards and fittings.

Hope you get it all sorted out and soonest. Would be kind of nice to see them step up to the mark, state it's a Monday production and here's a replacement vehicle.
Not exactly a hive of activity is it!, them folks in Grimsby are really small as none of them seem to show up on the factory tour, or maybe they just take long tea breaks..

Reminds me of a factory tour I once did in Belgium, it seems on our day the staff were all being addressed by a big cheese in an adjacent building, so the poor sod doing our tour, which was planned by the UK importer to encourage us to become customers had to try and explain how the various parts of the production worked, without anything or anyone moving, she tried her best but eventually it was abandoned and we all went for a skinful of beer, we bought the products anyway, amazing what Belgian beer can do.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
Not exactly a hive of activity is it!, them folks in Grimsby are really small as none of them seem to show up on the factory tour........
Yep, they are small. This is a picture of the Autotrail Frontier construction team at Grimsby.

Umpa.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
That’s twice as many as I thought though lol
Bless em', they only have very small hands so are incapable of gripping a standard size mastic gun, hence the reason why no waterproof mastic is applied to Autotrails these days.

:D

OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
I'm sorry to hear of your bad news Martin but I'm not entirely surprised - Autotrail has fallen off the quality cliff over the last few years hence the reason why the 'Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club' (AUOC), on Facebook is expanding at a rapid rate.

Try this thread out (link below) as a reference point. Ignore the finance bit and just read the process. This is all fully documented on AUOC so it would be worth you joining as there are hundreds of other Autotrail Owners who have experienced faulty vans too.

All the best,

Andrew

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rejecting-a-2-yr-old-moho-via-black-horse-finance.178920/
Hi Andrew,

Will join up, Van has now been at the A/T factory for 4 working days with no updates!!
I think a few more owners need to look at there vans in a little more detail!

Martin.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
Hi Andrew,

Will join up, Van has now been at the A/T factory for 4 working days with no updates!!
I think a few more owners need to look at there vans in a little more detail!

Martin.
Hi Martin, it will be interesting how this resolves itself and in what timeline too.

Good luck mate,

Andrew

OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
To anybody following this thread!

Our van has now left the a/t factory! ( Paul Stubbs customer service manager for a/t told us via email he would inform us when the van would be returned) but he must have forgotten!!
The van is now heading back south ( only know this as the tracker company are following it!) spoke to the supplying dealer tonight and even they are not aware that has left the factory! or what repair has been carried out if any.
It is not heading directly to us so wonder if it might be going to the a/t landfill site which must be almost full!!
About to be another Autotrail unhappy owners club member.
:mad::mad::mad:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016

Our van has now left the a/t factory! ( Paul Stubbs customer service manager for a/t told us via email he would inform us when the van would be returned) but he must have forgotten!!
The van is now heading back south ( only know this as the tracker company are following it!) spoke to the supplying dealer tonight and even they are not aware that has left the factory! or what repair has been carried out if any.
It is not heading directly to us so wonder if it might be going to the a/t landfill site which must be almost full!!
You best be quick with your membership Martin as we're only accepting 50 new members per day:D:D They'll be an available slot for you a week Monday.

Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

It might be interesting to write to Mr Stubbs asking how the van repair is getting on ;)

OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
It might be interesting to write to Mr Stubbs asking how the van repair is getting on ;)
Mr Paul Stubbs has told us by email tonight that our van has been repaired!! and apologies for not telling us!!
Cant wait to see what sort of repair they have done! as we stated, only a complete new floor would be acceptable!
so maybe this it what has been done (NOT)!
We will reject and go public on the outcome if not 100% satisfied.
(y)
Looking forward to joining the waiting list for membership of the AUOC.:)

Feb 26, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika 712
Exp
We had a Pilote 716 with a faulty electric bed. Used to stop working and nothing you did could coax it into action. Then for no reason it would start. On the three occasions it went to a Dealer it was always returned with no fault found. Someone else now has the problem. Life's to short to keep taking it back for repairs. Bite the bullet and get shut while it still has all its wheels on. Spending money on Solicitors, Barristers and Expert Advice will cost more in the long run you might as well put it towards something better and move on.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
I've just been on the AUOC site and there's yet another rejection case ongoing involving a 2-week old Autotrail EKS with a 28-point fault list.

One of the faults highlighted is a golfball-sized hole in the front overhead pod.

How the feck does that happen.:eek:

Supplied by Marquis.

Last edited:
OP
M

Martin W

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi,

Our van is back home repaired!! we and the dealer have no idea what has been done to rectify the problem of the de laminated floor! A/T have NOT told the dealer how they have repaired it.
Our dealer has been absolutely brilliant in dealing with this problem but i feel A/T have even let them down.

Many thanks to Nicky and Richard at Marquis for all your help and support during this trying time!

YES,:dance: THANK YOU TO MARQUIS

Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The dealer I use (Simpsons), have 25 unsold 2018 A/T,s in stock, next month they will have to take 25 more as part of their contract, nobody is buying them.!, they cannot discount them as the profit margins are tight, I see a contract termination looming.

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
In the UK there are still some companies ( not just in the RV world ) that think that the way to keep the longevity of the company is to

1) dispute the need to rectify but then do it grudgingly

2) do the bare minimum compared to what would actually delight the customer

3) Assign rectification work to a low status under resourced department so that it ensures ( through no fault of the staff involved personally ) a slower and less communicative and BARE MINIMUM RUSHED section underwhelming the customer on a long delayed and substandard job that will need to further additional work when the customer receives the MH back and says - Whats all that glue i cant get off in the shower tray/ locker and a cupboard door is now loose - but it wasn't when I gave you the MH 4 weeks ago.

4) The head of the company together with the head of Sales and Marketing come up with the 'super' idea of going to great lengths to minimise the publicity of said problems ( having already reduced the cost of these problems by under resourcing the rectification department), thus taking their eyes of the INTRINSIC STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS INHERENT IN THEIR SYSTEMS and so by not focusing on systemic process faults ACTUALLY MANUFACTURE BRAND NEW FAULTY VANS ( to the tune of say 18% ) so as to make sure that the under resourced rectification department will have plenty of work over the coming months

5) Spend EVEN MORE MONEY than you have in the past on brochures so that they are thicker and glossier than before so as to keep the stream of new customers coming ( because the cheaper to get repeat business is starting to dry up)

6) After some time and a systemic reduction in sales and a WIDELY KNOWN reputation for shoddy vans - the Owners swoop in and Fire half the management and lay production workers off as Sales are down so costs have to be reduced.

Let me illustrate a different companies approach 3 years ago.

We were tuggers ( I know I know don't stone us - we were young and naive 50 somethings we didn't know any better then) and we towed with a KIA Sorento. It was a great car - great for towing - We bought it from the caravan dealer that had received it as part exchange with a caravan as they were buying a motorhome. The point is we not only didn't buy it from KIA we didn't buy it from CAR dealer. It was a 2006 and this was 2013 so it was 7 years old. Because i'm no mug and I have a friend whos a mechanic I trusted him with the service. HE DID THE SERVICE PROPERLY for a lot less than a main dealer would charge - I knew everything was bang on but downside of this is there is no dealer stamp, but hey ho you save £270 a time on every service.

Fast forwarding to 2016 ( its in brilliant shape but getting on a bit) we suddenly started to experience a 90% loss of power, have to pull over stop the engine then restart and carry on , after many of these random virtual stallings and the second time it happened in the middle lane of the motorway with the van on the back I felt it needed sorting. To cut a long story short I was advised to book it in at the main dealers.
To clarify KIA asked me to take my 10 year old Sorrento that was not sold by them to me which I had had serviced NOT at KIA but by my mate to have it check for a possible delamination of the inside of the petrol tank that had affected a batch of production some years before.

I knew that if it was that it would need a new tank, a new pump, all the pipes to the engine replacing , New High Pressure fuel injector pump and new Cylinder head jets which are £150 each and ALL have to be replaced 'in case'. As it would be around £ 2800 with labour I said to the dealer - DONT DO IT JUST INVESTIGATE as I might just scrap it than pay £3000.

3 weeks later Garage phoned and said - Right come and get your car its done, whereupon all the blood leaves my head and something else nearly leaves the other end of my body. I the explain a little loudly about CHECK IT CHECK IT not DO IT jeez.

The Main Dealer then says its ok sir its at no cost - 10yr KIA Sorento, not bought new, not serviced with a record - is fixed for free because KIA paid the dealer to do it.

Day after I get a call at home from KIA - " hello sir was everything ok is it to your satisfaction and any problems and I mean ANY problems ring us back" I said that I was very pleased but I had to say I was surprised, with the age and lack of service record that they did it. He said it was a known batch problem originating in production some years previously, and at KIA our cars don't fail and it should never have happened and you shouldn't have been in this situation so KIA fix anything we made with an issue so you can relay on KIA.

NEEDLES TO SAY -I'M HERE NOW SAYING KIA - they're brilliant - I had a serious problem and i'm still sat here saying they're great - because - well THEY'RE BRILLIANT

THAT'S HOW YOU FIX THINGS , THAT'S HOW YOU MAINTAIN YOUR REPUTATION, it cost KIA £2800 , to me it meant a colossal deal -
It could have ended our touring - no touring car. To KIA it wasnt that much money - BUT their bomb proof reliability has been maintained.

Sorry for going on. But just saying thats customer service and support.

May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The dealer I use (Simpsons), have 25 unsold 2018 A/T,s in stock, next month they will have to take 25 more as part of their contract, nobody is buying them.!, they cannot discount them as the profit margins are tight, I see a contract termination looming.
I think that’s how the motor trade works, they have to agree to take X amount of vans and not always the model that you work like.

Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I think that’s how the motor trade works, they have to agree to take X amount of vans and not always the model that you work like.
I know how the trade works, having been in it all my working life, Just saying that A/T are not selling well, but all their (Simpsons) other brands are selling well, apparently A/T will not listen to any feedback room dealers as to their build quality or anything else, not happening , ever.
Oh, and by the way, the prices of new models are rising next year as well!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
That sounds about right(y). Our local dealer (only a small outfit) has two dozen MY18 AT vans in stock while the likes of Brownhills have about 50 remaining, possibly more including pre-registered vans.

I think 2019 is going to be a very challenging year for AT and its dealer network.

May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know how the trade works, having been in it all my working life, Just saying that A/T are not selling well, but all their (Simpsons) other brands are selling well, apparently A/T will not listen to any feedback room dealers as to their build quality or anything else, not happening , ever.
Oh, and by the way, the prices of new models are rising next year as well!
I did not say it was good or right, just that’s how they seem to work. I guess it’s just the big boys tells the little boys what to do . Nothing changes.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Ducato Maxi PVC
Exp
Sep 2016
Hi,

Our van is back home repaired!! we and the dealer have no idea what has been done to rectify the problem of the de laminated floor! A/T have NOT told the dealer how they have repaired it.
Our dealer has been absolutely brilliant in dealing with this problem but i feel A/T have even let them down.
Hi Martin,

If I was you I would be spending a few quid on contracting an independent vehicle inspector to check your van.

We did this for a new 4x4 truck which we purchased back in 2008 and it was the best money that we've ever spent. The vehicle was rejected a week later.

Something sounds fishy to me.

All the best,

Andrew

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services