2017 And Still Can't Get Radio To Exceed 20 Minutes Play.... (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Why can't they treat us like adults ? Set the default power down to 20 minutes for those that need it, but when they put an option in the menu to remove that, at least have the courtesy to allow us to increase the power down time.

Ticked or un-ticked, mine shuts down after 20 mins and after switching it back on 3 times, it goes in to code error and I have to switch the ignition on to reset it.

They've gone to the effort of putting me decent quality speakers in, so I don't want to go down the standalone DAB route :mad::mad:

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Why can't they treat us like adults ? Set the default power down to 20 minutes for those that need it, but when they put an option in the menu to remove that, at least have the courtesy to allow us to increase the power down time.

Ticked or un-ticked, mine shuts down after 20 mins and after switching it back on 3 times, it goes in to code error and I have to switch the ignition on to reset it.

They've gone to the effort of putting me decent quality speakers in, so I don't want to go down the standalone DAB route :mad::mad:

Mine does exactly the same.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The instructions to change from 20 mins to no timer are poor. I took several attempts before working it out and even now could not explain what was stopping it changing.
Perseverance will work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
They must have changed things in the last few years, on our 2012 Boxer you can choose Camper mode in the menu which gives you 180 minutes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When we bought ours the dealer had the radio fed from the habitation batteries, wouldn't cost much to get it done.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Mine also is wired to the Hab; Battery which is supplied from the Solar panel's, when "off grid", In theory permanent Music!.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have a switch in the hab area.. came wi MH as standard fitment
It over rides everything and turns cab radio on - or off when parked up .. stays on until i turn it orf!.. (y)

And it a Knaus and not a Hyner ;)

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The standard cab set up cuts the radio off after 20 mins to protect the starter battery.
If rewired for a Moho set up it will stay on, but that's up to the Moho manufacturer to do it properly.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The way around this is easy if you can use a multimeter or have the wiring instructions for you radio (that will be available on the web).

There will be two live 12 volt feeds to the back of the radio. One always on (this is to retain memory functions such as presets). The other is only live when the ignition is on (radio switches off after 20 mins if this is not live)

Simple fix, join the two wires together and have them both on the permanently live feed. Perfectly safe although bear in mind the radio will run until your battery is flat if you don't turn it off.

Dick

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Dunno if these destructions are any good? Bit long-winded........ The ??? marks are supposed to be parentheses " " !!!

Changing the radio cut off time.

* Turn radio on using central ?power? button
* Within 15 seconds, simultaneously press ?FM AS? and preset button ?2?. Each
time this pair of buttons are pressed, the display will alternate between
?NORMAL POWER MODE? and ?CAMPER POWER MODE?
* Ensure that ?CAMPER POWER MODE? is displayed, then press ?MENU?
* Using the ?UP? and ?DOWN? button now changes the display to show various
adjustable items. Cycle through the options until ?RADIO OFF? and a number of
minutes is shown on the display. This will take approx. two presses of the ?UP?
button or seven presses of the ?DOWN? button.
* With ?RADIO OFF? shown on the display press the ?LEFT? or ?RIGHT? button. Each
press of either button will alternate the number of minutes shown between ?180?
and 180
* With ?180? showing on the display the setting is complete and three hours of
radio operation should be possible. Press the ?POWER? button to exit the menu
and return the display to its usual view.

Please note that in ?NORMAL POWER MODE? the same subsequent steps detailed above
can be followed, to choose between ?20 mins? and ?0 mins? of radio op

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Dunno if these destructions are any good? Bit long-winded........ The ??? marks are supposed to be parentheses " " !!!

Changing the radio cut off time.

* Turn radio on using central ?power? button
* Within 15 seconds, simultaneously press ?FM AS? and preset button ?2?. Each
time this pair of buttons are pressed, the display will alternate between
?NORMAL POWER MODE? and ?CAMPER POWER MODE?
* Ensure that ?CAMPER POWER MODE? is displayed, then press ?MENU?
* Using the ?UP? and ?DOWN? button now changes the display to show various
adjustable items. Cycle through the options until ?RADIO OFF? and a number of
minutes is shown on the display. This will take approx. two presses of the ?UP?
button or seven presses of the ?DOWN? button.
* With ?RADIO OFF? shown on the display press the ?LEFT? or ?RIGHT? button. Each
press of either button will alternate the number of minutes shown between ?180?
and 180
* With ?180? showing on the display the setting is complete and three hours of
radio operation should be possible. Press the ?POWER? button to exit the menu
and return the display to its usual view.

Please note that in ?NORMAL POWER MODE? the same subsequent steps detailed above
can be followed, to choose between ?20 mins? and ?0 mins? of radio op
I found those instructions earlier, but they're old. My radio doesn't have a central power button or FM AS, after which I stopped reading. Thanks anyway !

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, it is only manual now and operation of the ignition makes no difference to the operation
So if I persevere, the radio will eventually get sick of me and give in ?.... At 20 minutes a go, it's quite time consuming, but probably worth it if it works sooner, rather than later.

Failing that, I need a sparky ;)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
So if I persevere, the radio will eventually get sick of me and give in ?.... At 20 minutes a go, it's quite time consuming, but probably worth it if it works sooner, rather than later.

Failing that, I need a sparky ;)
Unless the radio is very different @wingman instructions are correct but it was understanding the correct buttons that was the difficult bit.
If I remember correctly it took me about three months to work out the correct sequence :eek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a switch in the hab area.. came wi MH as standard fitment
It over rides everything and turns cab radio on - or off when parked up .. stays on until i turn it orf!.. (y)

And it a Knaus and not a Hyner ;)

Ooooh nooo , it's not a Hymer :D

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Unless the radio is very different @wingman instructions are correct but it was understanding the correct buttons that was the difficult bit.
If I remember correctly it took me about three months to work out the correct sequence :eek:
I'll be eternally grateful if anyone has already sussed a working sequence for this model....

image.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My understanding is the standard radio fitted to the x290 can't be extended. Perhaps some day they will issue a software upgrade....

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My understanding is the standard radio fitted to the x290 can't be extended. Perhaps some day they will issue a software upgrade....
They've obviously added the ability to 'tick' or 'un tick' the option, just to wind us up in that case :LOL:

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Your radio is different to my 2012 unit but when you untick the box do you press enter to save the setting?
No, once it's ticked or unticked I just navigate away from it and that setting stays. It's the enter key that puts the tick in the box and pressing enter again removes it.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
No, once it's ticked or unticked I just navigate away from it and that setting stays. It's the enter key that puts the tick in the box and pressing enter again removes it.
Sorry but it looks like the newer ones operate differently to mine.
I have checked mine to find it offers 'radio off' at 00 or 180 minutes.
When set at 00 it operates with the ignition switch and also can be switched on manually without the key in but switches off every 20 minutes.
When set at 180 it only works manually and the ignition operation makes no difference. It should then only stop after 3 hours or unless manually switched off.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I fitted a second radio in the habitation area. It has the advantage that I can use the USB connector to charge my mobile phone overnight if I don't have 240v hookup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back