Free Member
Jun 14, 2016
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
V-Line Van conversion
Exp
For over 10 years
hi all, is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on battery charging? I bought my new van 4 weeks ago and it's been parked inside and on ehu since then. When I went to start it up today ready for our first journey the alarm by the control panel was on and the vehicles battery is as flat as a pancake. I tried the dealer (Davans of Weston) but no reply from the workshops. Any ideas what I've done wrong?

OP
OP
S

StevieP

Free Member
Jun 14, 2016
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
V-Line Van conversion
Exp
For over 10 years
Thanks for that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@StevieP - this has a different PSU to mine but the principle looks the same. Have you checked that the charger power switch on the PSU is 'on' - see page 16 of your manual. In fact, read that section and see if you can resolve the problem yourself!

Also, looks like the PSU has a battery select button so I'm not sure that the charger will charge both vehicle & hab batteries automatically.

Perhaps you have a constant drain on the vehicle battery e.g. alarm?

OP
OP
S

StevieP

Free Member
Jun 14, 2016
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
V-Line Van conversion
Exp
For over 10 years
Hi Bill. I've read and re-read the manual and am confused over the psu terminology. I have a control panel over the door which turns on interim power for lights water pump etc. Inside a cupboard I have a solar panel controller which has a switch with 3 positions ( vehicle, off, and leisure). As this switch was in the off position do you think that it caused the flat battery? I just presumed it only directed the solar energy but maybe it directs the ehu.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Bill. I've read and re-read the manual and am confused over the psu terminology. I have a control panel over the door which turns on interim power for lights water pump etc. Inside a cupboard I have a solar panel controller which has a switch with 3 positions ( vehicle, off, and leisure). As this switch was in the off position do you think that it caused the flat battery? I just presumed it only directed the solar energy but maybe it directs the ehu.
Turn the knob to 'vehicle' which will charge the vehicle battery - when you're not using the van
Switch to 'leisure' when you're using the van and the solar panels will charge the leisure batteries

OP
OP
S

StevieP

Free Member
Jun 14, 2016
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
V-Line Van conversion
Exp
For over 10 years
does that mean that the vehicle battery will not charge on ehu?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
sorry - I don't know - you need to talk to someone who has a v-line. However, if it doesn't automatically charge both vehicle & habitation batteries when on hook up then I think you do need something like a battery master as @DiggerJon suggests. On my Apache the solar and the EHU keep both batteries topped up automatically so I don't have to worry about such problems.

Note @StevieP - my MH is 4 years old so I would not expect AutoTrail to have gone 'backwards' with the technology - hence I suspect it will do everything you need it to but it's just a case of getting the settings correct! A talk with a v-line owner or your dealer should resolve the situation.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem but I assure you it will be resolved very quickly. Do not take this as an insult, but it amazes me how many people buy a new or used motorhome, don't bother reading the user manuals then come on here posting a problem that would have never have happened had the manual been read first. Not to worry, you are definitely not the first person to come on here with that problem.

The Autotrail has the Sargent system installed and while I few on here state it's no good, I have found mine to be brilliant and it has never let me down.
My motorhome is now 5 years old and I suspect your system is even better. It's quite possible to have the EHU plugged in as you have. However, if the kill switch is still in, on the PSU or the 240V circuit beakers are tripped, no electricity will be going to your on board charger and I would check this first. Your on board charger should be automatic, sensing both leisure and cab battery and diverting current to which ever battery calls for it.
As for the Solar Panel, clearly this is switched off. This is fine if your supply is coming from your EHU and if not I would direct to the leisure batteries as the cab batteries should not normally be used for habitation services. (Make sure when not on EHU you select leisure battery from your control panel.
Best of luck solving this problem and enjoy your new motorhome.

OP
OP
S

StevieP

Free Member
Jun 14, 2016
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
V-Line Van conversion
Exp
For over 10 years
Ok that's great help. I am just used to my old Laika that charged both, so I will have to look into the battery master at some point. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back