2014 - MOROCCO .. All posts here now please.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
ok, seem's the Morocco 2013 thread just wont die and the forum is getting split a little as there are now also 2 morocco 2014 threads running.. :Doh:

I will start the ball rolling again for 2014 and state our plans.
We hope to be leaving UK first week of January and head down to Algeciras, possible short stop over in Benidorm if we get time and at least an overnight at Bella Vista so we can meet again with Rudi the site manager to finalise the meet there in March.
Ferry over to Morocco on or close to 15th January and we will be spending 4-6 weeks there.

Others from the 2013 group I know are planning to go and they will no doubt post here soon.
Some are planning to spend Christmas and New year in Benidorm, so if others want a meet up then camping Villasol in Benidorm looks to be a good spot this winter.

Andrew and myself have also approached Marjal, where we had the 2012 meet, to try and obtain a deal for funster who may be traveling down on route to Morocco, the Bella vista meet or Spain in general.. This is not confirmed as yet but I will post once I have full details.

If we now make this the prime posting thread we can maybe start to form some some of list of who and when people plan to travel. Newbie can then maybe get hooked up with some of the more seasoned travelers....

MOROCCO 2014 HERE WE COME.. :thumb::thumb:

Hi,
We are off to Morocco in 10 days time for a two week trip. As we are based only 45 minutes from Algeciras we will get a full fortnight in Morocco. We are travelling alone but have made several trips before but not in a motorhome. The route is flexible as we would prefer to "suck it and see".We would appreciate any recommendations on good sites - we do not wild camp.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi,
- we do not wild camp.

You will be when you see the state of the campsites :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, Some of the women folk were really dissapointed at first and wanted to check into a motel at one stage !! The first 2 campsites we stayed at were very basic and toilet block facilities were the same or worse.... Dont get me wrong there are a few "european" standard sites but most are not...
Some of our best memories are of "guardian" parking areas and the free camping at Tagazoute beach.. The car park in the middle of Marrakech at €6 a night does not sound very welcoming BUT again was one of the highlights, within a few hundred meters of the capitals centre and main attraction the Square....

Enjoy the trip... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,
We are off to Morocco in 10 days time for a two week trip. As we are based only 45 minutes from Algeciras we will get a full fortnight in Morocco. We are travelling alone but have made several trips before but not in a motorhome. The route is flexible as we would prefer to "suck it and see".We would appreciate any recommendations on good sites - we do not wild camp.

Suggest you arm yourselves with "All the Aires in Morocco" from Vicarious Books, among others, we found it very helpful. Enjoy your trip, keep posting here many will be looking for current info.

Regards, Bryan/Anna

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi,
We are off to Morocco in 10 days time for a two week trip. ....... would appreciate any recommendations on good sites - we do not wild camp.

Camp sites - Atlantic Park (8/10) N 30 ° 35'15 "W, 09 ° 45'04" , Moulay Bousselham (6/10) at the edge of the lagoon -
N 34 ° 52'05 "W 06 ° 17'34" , Camping Blue Ocean (5/10) in Mohammedia N 33°44'12 - W 7°19'24, Camping International (5/10) El Jadida N 33°14'24" - W 8°29'19". Camping Relais - Marrakesh (7/10) N 31°42'24 - W 7°59'24.

If you can wild camp try Tagazoute Beach or Essaouira car park next to main square.

Being a local, maybe meet up with Tonka and myself for a coffee at La Bella Vista 13th / 14th Jan? :thumb:

Andrew

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Much to be done in preparation for the trip. Been considering buying Garmin Morocco on .SD card for my Nuvi1490T but seems a lot at £74.99. Any cheaper options about........ or just buy a paper map maybe :ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Much to be done in preparation for the trip. Been considering buying Garmin Morocco on .SD card for my Nuvi1490T but seems a lot at £74.99. Any cheaper options about........ or just buy a paper map maybe :ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan

A fiver for a paper map gets my vote, in fact it arrived with the Vicarious Books Marocco book.

The Android free map app does have a Morocco map but it's not up to much.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Regards, Bryan

Hi Bryan, I keep my old Tomtom 700 for the simple reason that model although old has a huge memory. It is possible to download Moroccan maps free of charge from the "alternative" web sites, if you get my drift :winky:.
Because of there age the 700 is regarded by some as being old fashioned, so therefore they can be picked up from the bay at around £30.
I have full door to door from the top of Norway down to Istanbul as well as all of Morocco on mine.
If you dont want to go down this route, then the Michelin red map is as good as anything. I would recommend the Michelin map anyway.

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012

Regards, Bryan

Hi,
I have the Michelin map and downloaded the Morocco map from Garmin. The paper map is all you need for point to point but if you want to do any town driving you will need the sat nav. It also pin points petrol stations, shopping areas, police stations and any other services you may require. I think I paid about 100 euros a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sat Nav. !!!

Sat nav !!!

Just follow the sun or a donkey or another motorhome... :Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Don't you mean a camel !

Only ever seen the camels, in fields, on the beach, walking through our campsite. BUT the Donkeys are everywhere and got more road sense than the taxi drivers.. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you really dont need sat nav . follow the coast down just always head to the sea . casa and rabat its the easiest route to take .and you see enough . at safi as you come down the hill turn right towards the port then again follow the sea . there are parking places if you just want to look around . wild camping spots all the way down the coast almost anywhere .
between rabat and casa you need to be on the white road by the sea on the michelin map. its so easy .
really follow the coast forget the main roads . much nicer . use the motoway if you want between larache and kenitra . only as its easy .stay by the coast its fantastic .

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You do all realise that Bryan has already beed there and done it.. So is aware of the maps etc..... Maybe just wants the sat nav as a back up.. I like to use mine to show the road speed more accurate in km's....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use the little roads and you wont want to go fast . so much to see .
far nicer to never go fast. put a cotton reel under your pedal.
follow the coast keep the sea on your roght . dont need even a map. just keep the sun in your eyes .

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You do all realise that Bryan has already beed there and done it.. So is aware of the maps etc..... Maybe just wants the sat nav as a back up.. I like to use mine to show the road speed more accurate in km's....

Erm...so has Alan, "been there and done it" quite a few times along with quite a few others. I was always taught that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Am sure that we all realise that Bryan has been to Morocco before, but am sure he will be more than happy to listen to advice from other North African travellers.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

Regards, Bryan

This is the one I bought last year for $19.95 and it worked fine (at least as well as any satnav works!): Link Removed

If 20 bucks is too much you could try this one for free: Broken Link Removed I did see some report on Tripadvisor where someone was struggling to get it working which put me off trying it. Of course he could have been a numpty (like me) so if you are a bit geeky it may be worth a try. The only thing is, even if you get it installed is it any good? You'll only find out when you get to Morocco!

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Erm...so has Alan, "been there and done it" quite a few times along with quite a few others. I was always taught that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Am sure that we all realise that Bryan has been to Morocco before, but am sure he will be more than happy to listen to advice from other North African travellers.

Hi Dave...I am aware of the experience you guys have on Morocco and we are just novices... The way I was starting to read the answers it seemed to be tracking off course as If posters were sending answers to someone doing a first trip....
We are all up for some extra advise, only thanks to you and the others who originally posted did our trip become possible... I left last year for just a trip and came back very enlightened and with a new set of friends.. :thumb:

oh.. and the new experience of Turkish delight hot chocolate... :winky::ROFLMAO:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for all replies. As Dave (Snowbird) said, all information, sat nav or otherwise, is most welcome. Last year we were part of the "tail enders" a mini group of 3 vans and were reliant on one of our group with sat nav to find camp sites on arrival at towns/cities. For part of the upcoming trip we anticipate going solo and just want to have all the toys:winky:
Thanks Mike, I knew that one of our group had downloaded successfully but forgot it was you otherwise would have asked you direct. Have looked at web site and will probably give it a go.

Regards, Bryan

PS: It was an unfair burden on "Gaudi " to be front runner all the time, another reason, if needed, to have up to date sat nav..... belt and braces philosophy.

B

Last edited:

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
We are heading to Morocco for the first time in December.So reading all posts and threads available . I find the info on th forums good we used lads of information before we went overland to Greece last winter the advice was invaluable .. So I am sifting throught all the Moocco info now . Keep it going guys.. Val

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Only ever seen the camels, in fields, on the beach, walking through our campsite.

You want camels ? I do you a good deal. Finest camels in Africa. To you Effendi only 1000 Drms.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 29
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 27
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 28
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There will of course be several that will be making there first trip to Morocco and any advice am sure will be appreciated by them. There are some that have spent many years travelling in North Africa, but still learn something new each time they go. What may to some people seem like the obvious, to someone taking there first trip it can be a very daunting experience. There are still posts on fun about where to park up in Dover and to seasoned European travellers it may just be the same old, but that is why we are here, to give advice to the newby. Fun is notorious for going off track with many threads, that's why its fun and interesting. If I look back in different threads that have been started and count how many times I have answered the same question in the same thread it would drive some people crazy, but that's part of fun. VWalan is one of the most travelled members on here and although sometimes he does wander off a little, something to do with his age and living in Cornwall, his experience in Moroccan travel is second to none and should not be dismissed out of hand. Keep a lookout whilst travelling down the coast road you may just catch sight of Alan or myself parked on some beach. One things for sure, you wont find us on some campsite.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have to say to me this is what the fun forum is all about all the different degrees of knowledge we have and the willingness to share information and look out for one another when necessary Mr Motothome/Tonka/Malcolm Bolt/Suggy and all the others who made last years adventures come alive for us, and the experience / knowledge and willingness to share of Snowbird and vwallan (who I would love to meet) money just can't buy this kind of thing.

Dave if you and Pat are on a beach somewhere Ed and I will find you ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well if your down this way in the summer get in touch . usually space for at least one camper in the front . but space will be found for more . not far from eden project .half a mile off the a30 at roche .
i have stopped going to maroc recently but might go ,depends on the weather . am enjoying very slowly travelling in spain . keep your eyes open you cant miss my tryck . very often with purple bobs daf . very bright purple .
but anyone need a nights stop in cornwall get in touch .

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::thumb:
Hi Bryan, I keep my old Tomtom 700 for the simple reason that model although old has a huge memory. It is possible to download Moroccan maps free of charge from the "alternative" web sites, if you get my drift :winky:.
Because of there age the 700 is regarded by some as being old fashioned, so therefore they can be picked up from the bay at around £30.
I have full door to door from the top of Norway down to Istanbul as well as all of Morocco on mine.
If you dont want to go down this route, then the Michelin red map is as good as anything. I would recommend the Michelin map anyway.

Hi,
You most probably know this but just for the benefit of others, you can fill in the vehicle importation form on line which saves a lot of time at the border. The following link is worth reading
Broken Link Removed
I dont want to preach to the converted!

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Morocco Plans

I know other members have close or similar plans........

For us currently, La Bella Vista Spain around the 13th/14th Jan 2014 (meet with some others as discussed and some first timers if they wish too) 15th Jan drive to Macdonalds Algericas 36.181959,-5.439622 (lol) again meet with others travelling to Morocco, buy tickets for the ferry, Lidl shopping.

Catch 10 - 11am -ish ferry next day (16th) and drive to Asilah, Morocco (wifi and acclimatise) it's a 40 mins drive. Next day El Jadida (camp site) 4hrs drive, following day maybe Essaouira (car park) another 4hr drive, from here I expect people will start to go their own ways (if they have not already do so!) meeting up at different sites during our various travels.

Apart from the above thoughts, we have a rough plan where we are thinking of travelling but nothing is set in stone. Like last year, other lone travellers or as a party will do different stops / trips whenever it suits them as we will do, staying in contact via telephone, skype, text or via the forum.

Not sure how many of us will be finally going but think it's probably best and safer for 3 or 4 vans to drive together at any one time meeting up at agreed stops if there is a larger group of vans.

It's going to be FUN! :Cool:

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
morocco2014

We would love to join fellow funsters on the 2014 jaunt to Morocco. We are heading off to France/Spain (still undecided which ferry route to take) in the next week or so for a slow meander down towards Algeciras via the Med coast and then across to Morocco soon after Christmas.

We will keep watching eye on this thread, in the hope that we can meet up with fellow funsters.

Andy & Debbie
hello there we would love go with a group from jan onwards we are flexible with the dates so we shall keep in touch with the forum marjohn:Smile:

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
morocco 2014 love to join a convoy

ok, seem's the Morocco 2013 thread just wont die and the forum is getting split a little as there are now also 2 morocco 2014 threads running.. :Doh:

I will start the ball rolling again for 2014 and state our plans.
We hope to be leaving UK first week of January and head down to Algeciras, possible short stop over in Benidorm if we get time and at least an overnight at Bella Vista so we can meet again with Rudi the site manager to finalise the meet there in March.
Ferry over to Morocco on or close to 15th January and we will be spending 4-6 weeks there.

Others from the 2013 group I know are planning to go and they will no doubt post here soon.
Some are planning to spend Christmas and New year in Benidorm, so if others want a meet up then camping Villasol in Benidorm looks to be a good spot this winter.

Andrew and myself have also approached Marjal, where we had the 2012 meet, to try and obtain a deal for funster who may be traveling down on route to Morocco, the Bella vista meet or Spain in general.. This is not confirmed as yet but I will post once I have full details.

If we now make this the prime posting thread we can maybe start to form some some of list of who and when people plan to travel. Newbie can then maybe get hooked up with some of the more seasoned travelers....

MOROCCO 2014 HERE WE COME.. :thumb::thumb:
hello there me and my wife would love to join you on a trip to morocco2014 we are quite flexiable with the dates etc we shall try and follow the forum on which way to go about it where you leave from and get of the ferrie and and rallys and meeting
many thanks marjohn:Smile::thumb:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Following a visit to family/friends in southern Spain we should be crossing on 8/9th Jan or thereabouts. Unless the weather in the north is good we will head straight for Taghazoute. (Slowly of course as is our way)

Last edited:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
An alternative take on Brian's comment above

Shall we have white, YES