2011 Ducato jumping out of 5th & 6th Gears (1 Viewer)

nellyR

Free Member
Jul 31, 2017
Funster No
Coming back from Cornwall my 2011 ducato based motorhome started jumping out of 5th and 6th gears, i decided to pull over. The AA brought the motorhome all the way back up home ( 370miles). The local FIAT dealer has found that 5th, 6th Gears are damaged, bearing need replacing as do the 'sycronmeshes' . The latest news is that oil distribution pipe had smashed and was stuck in the lay gear. The motorhome has only done 13000 miles. Fiat don't want t know due to the age of the motorhome
1.Has anyone else suffered these types of failures?
2. Is the dealer having my eyes out??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with that amount of damage it may be more cost effective to buy a refurbished gearbox. better still find a decent one from a scrap yard, now called a vehicle dismantler

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Coming back from Cornwall my 2011 ducato based motorhome started jumping out of 5th and 6th gears, i decided to pull over. The AA brought the motorhome all the way back up home ( 370miles). The local FIAT dealer has found that 5th, 6th Gears are damaged, bearing need replacing as do the 'sycronmeshes' . The latest news is that oil distribution pipe had smashed and was stuck in the lay gear. The motorhome has only done 13000 miles. Fiat don't want t know due to the age of the motorhome
1.Has anyone else suffered these types of failures?
2. Is the dealer having my eyes out??
It sounds realistic. The synchromesh is the part that forces gear speeds to synchronise before the connection between one gear and the next is made as you change gear. In other words it synchronises gear speeds before allowing them to mesh. Hence the name.

If gears are damaged an adjacent bearing can be damaged by ingesting metal particles.

Little containers, filled by oil splashed about by rotating gears, use pipes to distribute oil within the gearbox to parts that may otherwise not be reliably lubricated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nellyR

Free Member
Jul 31, 2017
Funster No
Just got the report back from the garage..... the plastic oil feed sleeve within the gearbox failed, possibly leading to lack of lubrication.... Possible cause of the failure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back