2008 Ducato front suspension (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Has anyone had to replace the front suspension strut on a 2008 Ducato with a Rapido A class body. At low speeds I can hear a groan from the front not a continuous sound, rather like something moving and releasing itself. this is only when I steer, left or right but it does not happen above say 5/6 MPH. Otherwise everything feels right and drives perfectly but there are two possible I think, either its the top suspension mount or its the plastic hose with the slit in which goes around the bottom of the Spring where it sits in the lower cup.

It seems to me this is going to be expensive because the Garrage, who have yet to exam in the vehicle say if the strut has to be removed quite a lot of the dashboard Will have to come out. They say that was the case with a Hymer A class but to b honest the bottom of the dash in my Rapido looks just the same to me as a panel van.

Any thoughts on the matter particularly from those who have had similar issues would be appreciated.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Might just be a dry bush. Does it also do it when driving in the rain??

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sounds more like a power steering issue than a strut, does it do it when stationary if you turn the steering?

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for your replies, yes it does it in the rain although we din't get much of that on our last trip, and also when stationary turning the steering left or right. I have given the bushes I can see a dose of WD40 without effect. when moving, unless crawling it doesn't do it all at all. I wonder if thats because there is less effort needed to steer when moving as opposed to stationary

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It seems to me this is going to be expensive because the Garrage, who have yet to exam in the vehicle say if the strut has to be removed quite a lot of the dashboard Will have to come out. They say that was the case with a Hymer A class but to b honest the bottom of the dash in my Rapido looks just the same to me as a panel van.

Any thoughts on the matter particularly from those who have had similar issues would be appreciated.

It will depend on whether you have any doors into the cab area. When I had the springs uprated on my Pilote the passenger side was easy because the door allowed easy access to the glove box area which had to be removed to get to the top of the strut mounting. The Drivers side however was not so easy as there was no door and the space was filled with lockers and a cover over the gas bottle compartment this had to be removed to enable access to the area behind the fuse panels to get to the top of the strut.
If you have a 3ltr you may consider uprating the springs at the same time to improve ride and handling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back