2007 Merc Sprinter rear pads - how difficult? (1 Viewer)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Whilst we were away the Brake pad warning light came on, I'm sure it's the rear as recently had new pads and discs in the front. First question how difficult is this job to do?. Second question apart from going to a main stealer how can I be sure that I am buying genuine Merc pads as I believe there are a lot of Chinese fakes of said items.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Chances are its the newly fitted front pads which are causing the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Hi @FJmike

I bought our brake pads from our local Mercedes commercial dealer. From the chassis number they made sure I was buying the correct ones, I bought the wear sensors and holding clips at the same time. The parts cost was the same as buying them online - but I knew they were not Chineese fakes!

I got them fitted by a local garage, to fit both front and rear it took them one hour.

It did not look tricky to fit them, you might need something to compress / expand the caliper - the labour cost was £42 Inc vat. As it would have taken me all day to do it I was happy to pay!

Good luck.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Unless you are a competent mechanic, I would leave well alone, let your local recommended garage do it, you will need a suitable hydraulic jack, ditto axle stands , a torque wrench and piston retracting tool probably, plus endless patience, I saw many VERY bodged up brake repairs in my time in the trade, putting them right afterwards often made things more expensive/difficult. I saw some right horrors.!
Also, there are some good quality non genuine pads out there, often much cheaper, some of the pads manufacturers use are not made by them anyway, I have fitted loads of them in my time.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Done 85K in Europe in our MB sprinter 616 van and had quite a bit of maintenance done in the UK and over there. Given a choice now I would call into a MB commercial dealer in any European country rather than bring it home to be fixed. MUCH cheaper.

Dick

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Had mine done on a 4 ton Rapido merc, disc's and pads all round as they were well pitted and not as sharp as I thought they should be and I was coming up to touring Spain for the winter so wanted them to be perfect.... could have done them myself but needed capable jack and stands and it was early December so wet and cold outside plus I thought they would be a bit of a bugger as they've not been done for ages so got the garage to do them.... I was right, they were a bugger said garage...£425... what a difference it has made as I found out the other week when I had to do an emergency stop and re-arranged my stuff in the van...:eek:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
There are some very good you tube videos on Sprinter brakes. If you confident you could do it yorself. Worth a look.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Make sure your discs are not (split) it happens had to have the lot replaced when I went to Morocco in 2014 Merctrux are Normally ok, ps you can't really tell until you take everything to bits. Get it MOT'd, for the sake of £50 you'll know whether all's ok!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Based on how much I paid over yesterday for front and rear brakes servicing, it must be very complicated :)(y)

not fully analysed the bill yet and it did include MOT and messing around with the side repeater lights

it will also depend on exactly what parts were needed, but over £800 :(

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Suspect you've had new discs and pads David, but of course you do know that Mertrux Mechs are charged out at a higher hourly rate than your GP :rofl:

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Due to a high work load and not enough hours in the day I decided to pay to have discs and pads fitted, as it turned out £70.00 labour was well worth it, it would have taken me all day. So thank you everyone who contributed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back