2007 Ducato 130 odd electrical issues (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
It's the braided earth strap from gearbox to chassis that causes problems and often needs replacing.
I think I've eliminated that after testing with a jump lead. The whole thing seems pretty dry to be honest. The fuse boxes, the rusty junction, everything. Given the rain we've had I was expecting damp everywhere but I haven't found any.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
Try this, it might help.
Take the covers off the steering column and trace the wires from the affected stalk to the multi pin connector and check all connections there.
Itcwont be a fuse problem as all the circuits you mentioned are all individually fused. The common link is the earth lead. Fiat have an earth problem, with crusting on the terminals (dissimilar metals together) and may just need the terminals cleaning.

BazM

Free Member
Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carioca 656
Exp
Possibly a dodgy relay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Well, I've fixed it. (Woohoo!!!)

I decided to try and test the multifunction switch on the steering column so I removed the covers. Couldn't get at the terminals in the junction because they face forwards and couldn't get a probe in there accurately. But with that switch disconnected I turned the ignition on and still had the same problem. So it's not the switch. Connected all that back up and decided to strip the fuse box down again. I just bought some decent contact cleaner so I sprayed every part of every connection (male and female connectors).
Then I completely removed the fuse box and managed to gingerly separate it from the back section and sprayed contact cleaner on that plug and socket too. Finally, I very, very gingerly parted the two halves of the final section to reveal the circuit board.
Under close inspection there appeared to be very slight possible corrosion around one of the solder points on the board so first I sprayed it with pcb cleaner, then when that didn't remove all of it I used a squirt of contact cleaner.
Left it to dry thoroughly, reassembled and connected it all back up. Tried the ignition - fixed!

Whether it was the stuff on the circuit board or just cleaning the connector plugs again I can't say. Just pleased it's working.

The stuff on the circuit board was very very minor and needed 2 pairs of glasses to see properly, but it appeared to connect at least 3 tracks together from a central point.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Looks like Tribbtravs suggestion was closest to the mark so he's the winner of a pint! I'll have to drink it for him though until we get to meet some time :cheers:

Had a bit of a scare when I first reassembled everything and tried the ignition. Had no sign of life on the dash at all but the engine would turn over without starting. Thought I'd fried the circuit board at first but when I check the connections leading into the fuse box, the ones at the rear weren’t connected properly. Fixed that and away she went.

Cheers

Alan.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the hints guys. My eyes aren't good enough at that range to see any problems, so I think the best I can do is cut the tape holding the loom together and try to find any damage by feeling the wires. Hopefully none of them are live while the ignition is off.
You cannot receive a shock from 12v!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ever touched an electric fence?
I've actually peed on one. (It was a dare - I was 12 years old at the time) It wasn't something I'd want to repeat. But an electric fence works in a similar way to car ignition. It may be powered by a 12v battery but at the business end a fence outputs 10,000+ volts.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When much younger and working as a truck mechanic, I was re-attaching a negative battery lead to 24v HGV circuit. I accidently touch the metal side of the battery box with the spanner thus causing a dead short, I finished up in hospital with a badly burnt hand. Have respect for ALL electricity! I still have the scars 50yrs later.

Nov 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta
Hi, hope you're all well in these trying times.

As we're all locked down, we decided to wash the van this weekend and then pretend we were away in the back garden.

I started the van as I needed to move it to get at both sides. It's not been started since January and I'm pretty sure it has heater plug problems. It started eventually however.

The problem is, the wipers, washers and rh indicators are all operating, without me touching anything. I started removing fuses once I found out which does what and where they're hidden. Can't find a fuse for the indicators and can't find the relay either even though I can hear it.

While playing with the stalk hoping the problem might magically disappear, I turned main beam on, which would then not turn off!

This leads me to suspect something under the cover of the steering column but have neither the knowledge or inclination to start playing around in there.
Anyone had similar issues and found an easy fix?

The van is an Auto Trail cheyenne se 640.

Cheers

Alan
I have experienced the exact same problem today! Did you get sorted? Hoe?

Feb 27, 2023
Funster No
MH
Ducato Bavaria T72ST
Well, I've fixed it. (Woohoo!!!)

I decided to try and test the multifunction switch on the steering column so I removed the covers. Couldn't get at the terminals in the junction because they face forwards and couldn't get a probe in there accurately. But with that switch disconnected I turned the ignition on and still had the same problem. So it's not the switch. Connected all that back up and decided to strip the fuse box down again. I just bought some decent contact cleaner so I sprayed every part of every connection (male and female connectors).
Then I completely removed the fuse box and managed to gingerly separate it from the back section and sprayed contact cleaner on that plug and socket too. Finally, I very, very gingerly parted the two halves of the final section to reveal the circuit board.
Under close inspection there appeared to be very slight possible corrosion around one of the solder points on the board so first I sprayed it with pcb cleaner, then when that didn't remove all of it I used a squirt of contact cleaner.
Left it to dry thoroughly, reassembled and connected it all back up. Tried the ignition - fixed!

Whether it was the stuff on the circuit board or just cleaning the connector plugs again I can't say. Just pleased it's working.

The stuff on the circuit board was very very minor and needed 2 pairs of glasses to see properly, but it appeared to connect at least 3 tracks together from a central point.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Looks like Tribbtravs suggestion was closest to the mark so he's the winner of a pint! I'll have to drink it for him though until we get to meet some time :cheers:

Had a bit of a scare when I first reassembled everything and tried the ignition. Had no sign of life on the dash at all but the engine would turn over without starting. Thought I'd fried the circuit board at first but when I check the connections leading into the fuse box, the ones at the rear weren’t connected properly. Fixed that and away she went.

Cheers

Alan.
Hi Alan, I have exactly the same fault as you! When you say you stripped the fuse box, do you mean the BSi under the dash or the main one under the bonnet?
Ady

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi Alan, I have exactly the same fault as you! When you say you stripped the fuse box, do you mean the BSi under the dash or the main one under the bonnet?
Ady
Hi Ady, it was the one under the dash on the right by the drivers door..
Good luck!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi Ady, it was the one under the dash on the right by the drivers door..
Good luck!

On my 2007 Ducato, there are a few more fuses at the bottom of the pillar just behind the front seats, you might want to check those too as I have always considered it a vulnerable place to put fuses re, condensation, damp etc?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back