2005 Mercedes 316 CDI base (Autotrail) ? (1 Viewer)

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Can anyone offer any advice on the Mercedes 316 CDI based Autotrails?

I've been looking at Fiat Ducato's but the Mercedes has caught my eye. I understand that, like many vehicles of this age, rust can be an issue. I know I need to be mindful of damp in anything that I look at but was wondering if anyone can give me any pros or cons of this as a base vehicle? A million courier drivers seem to have made them work hard!!
Many thanks.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
posted in your other thread as wellšŸ˜Š
Had a 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696 g a lovely van engine will pull for ever however it did roll about a bit on the merc chassis.
when we sold her they told me a likely place for damp is around the joint of the superstructure to the cab particularly under the bench seats either side, they did find a little but nothing that worried them as they would rectify it before selling on.
we were lucky as the merc cab had hardly any rust But area bit prone to itšŸ˜Š
good luck with your search if you find a good one it will last a long time built much better than the new generation of vans.šŸ‘šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the strong engines and I've read how they are powerful enough for the job. I've also seen reports about the the 'body roll - I guess that's one of those things that a new owner won't know if that is an acceptable issue until you've lived with the vehicle for a few miles.

Good tip about the the water ingress around the cab join as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have a 316 A class 56 reg, manual. Now done 72K, all that has failed has been the starter motor last year and had to regass the air-conditioning. Find that it is great for pulling 4000kg. It's a bit noisy compared to more modern engines I suspect.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
We have a 316 A class 56 reg, manual. Now done 72K, all that has failed has been the starter motor last year and had to regass the air-conditioning. Find that it is great for pulling 4000kg. It's a bit noisy compared to more modern engines I suspect.
Do you think that the 'noise' is specifically relating to the 316 or do you think it might me due to the enclosed cab of the A class Hymer?

I have always been tempted by the older "Classic" Hymers as they seem to be very well made but have read that they are very slow and over about 45 can be incredibly noisy!!

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have a 2005 hymer starline 655 2.7td. Just turned 32000mls. Iā€™m getting it breathed on for another 40bhp and 80torks I had a rimor. 316 that was breathed on and was a fantastic powerhouse. Iā€™m in the highlands so running about here all the time itā€™s fine. Iā€™m half deaf šŸ§ so the noise is not a problem šŸ‘šŸ˜·šŸ„ƒ

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ah but itā€™s a lovely sound when you put the power onšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Do you think that the 'noise' is specifically relating to the 316 or do you think it might me due to the enclosed cab of the A class Hymer?
I'm not sure having never owned a Sprinter van. It has sound insulation under the bonnet put in by Hymer but I have thought I should add more. It does about 25mpg going at 65mph but it can easily do 70+ on the autobahn but tends to gobble diesel.
I'm interested in your chipping fat haggis and especially that you have done it before presumably without problems? Did it help with fuel economy?

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I have always been tempted by the older "Classic" Hymers as they seem to be very well made but have read that they are very slow and over about 45 can be incredibly noisy!!
Ours is noisy. Iā€™ve got used to it now. Itā€™s underpowered compared to our 416CDi, 5 cylinder . 518CDi and 318cdi V6ā€™s

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I agree about the noise , I have a Hymer B680 Starline 4.6 tonne, 2.7 litre
it's been remapped by 29 bhp and 60 NM torque but not very quick on hills, have to keep the revs up !
I have installed some insulation under the carpets I think it helped a bit.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had a 2003 AutoTrail Cheyenne "U" shaped lounge on the Merc with a sprint shift and loved it never had any problems, yes the body did roll so we nipped up to A&S in Warrington and they fitted air suspension and from then on it was a different vehicle to drive no more body roll and a much better drive.
A little bit of damp around the bottom of the hab door which was an easy fix from underneath the van.
We loved the Eberspacher diesel heater in the cab.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Can anyone offer any advice on the Mercedes 316 CDI based Autotrails?

I've been looking at Fiat Ducato's but the Mercedes has caught my eye. I understand that, like many vehicles of this age, rust can be an issue. I know I need to be mindful of damp in anything that I look at but was wondering if anyone can give me any pros or cons of this as a base vehicle? A million courier drivers seem to have made them work hard!!
Many thanks.
As others have said the engine bulletproof, itā€™s reckoned to be good for 300,000 miles before major work, properly and regularly serviced they will go beyond that some have been known to do half a million plus, I had the 416cdi Auto-trail Grande Frontier, lovely looking van, but what a heap of sh**e, nothing but trouble from the day we had it, it was not new, but only 36,000 miles, leaked like a sieve from everywhere roof joints, locker doors, roof lights etc,etc, as for the 416chassis it was a great base vehicle but the A-T conversion was really too heavy for it, it felt ā€œheavyā€ to drive, the front ball joints were worn even at that mileage cos the front felt so overweight as for Auto-trail that internal finish is excellent, but I found Auto Trail after sales back to be rubbish. Personally I would never have another A-T as a gift, but I canā€™t fault the Mercedes base apart from the ABS pump mine failed and cost nearly Ā£2600 to replace they are a known fault on the Sprinter . Just my personal experience with A-T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
gwyntaxi Thanks for the reply - doesn't sound like that ownership went well for you. I have read that the Merc base is indeed very good and have seen boht positive and negative reports about the Auto Trail conversions. Similarly though, it seems that the Fiat have equal lovers and haters!

I'm looking at a (2005) Cheyenne model and one thing did stand out for me was the payloads. It seems that the Fiat has a payload of around 400kg whereas the Merc has one of around 800kg.

I've read about being cautious about payloads and not having enough so the Fiat to me is inadequate - unless I'm not reading things correctly?

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
gwyntaxi Thanks for the reply - doesn't sound like that ownership went well for you. I have read that the Merc base is indeed very good and have seen boht positive and negative reports about the Auto Trail conversions. Similarly though, it seems that the Fiat have equal lovers and haters!

I'm looking at a (2005) Cheyenne model and one thing did stand out for me was the payloads. It seems that the Fiat has a payload of around 400kg whereas the Merc has one of around 800kg.

I've read about being cautious about payloads and not having enough so the Fiat to me is inadequate - unless I'm not reading things correctly?
I quite agree with you, I have found the Mercedes base to be an excellent base vehicle as apart from my ABS pump I've been quite pleased, as you say the payload on the Fiat seems inadequate compared to the Merc I'd go for the Merc everytime.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back