2005 Hymer step buzzer conversion? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
New to us 2005 Hymer B 680 has a step buzzer which can't help but be noticed. OK when driving off but not ok when stationary with engine running and just trying to adjust something or make a repair.

Our old S Class Hymer had a warning lamp that couldn't be missed, is it as simple as converting the buzzer cables to power a warning lamp placed on the dash?

Thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Let us know if you locate it. I find it rather annoying as well. A light would be so much better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The step buzzer on our 2001 Hymer B584 is in the front right side cabinet with the EBL unit.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
s6039a.jpg

Found it!

Yet another location from all those mentioned so far, but not good for adapting to a warning lamp.

The box above the hab door housing the interior door lamp and the control panel is where the noise is coming from.

s6036a.jpg

Not visible but was a lot louder with the panel removed...

s6037a.jpg

It's the round black drum shaped device to the left of center, but it's attached to the circuit board and not connected by wires.
Is there any way that I can remove it without damaging the board and replace with two wires or do I want to start before the board? As it's attached to the board is there other circuitry that will be affected if it is removed.

Slightly different note. I did go into the DT 201 program with the relevant PIN No. and disconnected the buzzer, it can be done so that is a bonus. I wouldn't want to use our MH on the road without some form of warning though, these double steps stick out a long way.

Had a quick look at setting up a physical on off button as use to be used as door light switch on older cars, with a small bracket there is are a couple of locations where it wouldn't interfere with the step mechanism, maybe use the older S class manual step switch which must be water/weather proof seeing where it is located.

And again totally different subject. Our Classic Hymer S 670 1992 will be coming up for sale within a few weeks. 23 years old, fixed rear bed, under 50,000 miles from new, manual gearbox, 6 new Michelin tyres and technically excellent. Interior is a little tired but not damaged or altered, all as original. The sale includes 2 new major parts yet to be fitted. A new Dometic fridge (old one works fine but takes too long to get down to temperature, but does get there). An original German air suspension set for the rear suspension, both items new and in boxes. Last used this June for a tour from central France to the UK to Ireland north to south and back to central France where Eric is now located until October, didn't miss a beat. Will be sold for £9500.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Many thanks on all the help so far, and JJ. The name of one of your beloved Hymers is Eric after a Frenchman who didn't play for City...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is not the step buzzer on the back of the control panel, I think that is low battery warning, the step buzzer is normally beside the step relay control box, ours is under the passenger seat (LHD).

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Don't know what to say Lenny, with the engine running and the step out it was where the noise was coming from. There is a hole in the center of the drum and by putting my finger over it the noise was instantly cut in half. When I cancelled the step buzzer within the control panel program the noise from the drum stopped.
My better half with better hearing confirmed the source of the buzzer too.

I have also been monitoring the 2 hab and 1 vehicle battery over the last few days. I disconnected the EHU for a day, switched the mains switch off and switched the 12v hab system off on the control panel. All the batteries read very similar values, the lowest was 12.94 V so not low battery voltage that's for sure.
I also checked the control panel voltage readings against my digital multi-meter, there was a difference in that the control panel read between 0.1 - 0.2 V higher than the MM.

I am not familiar with electronics so can't argue against you, but this is now a puzzle.

Thanks for your input

edit: ours is LHD Sprinter based too

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Much too complicated for me. I`ll just live with the buzzer going off when I forget to retract the step.
If your buzzer is integrated into the pcb, I would be very reluctant to tinker with it, you never know what your going to disturb and that looks a very expensive part if you muck it up.
Never forget the laws of unintended consequences (n)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That surprises me, but if it is the step buzzer I would leave well alone unless you are a dab hand with a soldering iron, don't try using a DIY type soldering iron or it could get expensive.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Look at the wire colour leaving the step microswitch. It will be plugged onto the PCB. Once you think you have found it disconnect it from the PCB & check that the buzzer no longer operates. If it is the wrong wire & the buzzer still operates no harm will be done. The wire is likely to be earthed by the step microswitch & could simply be extended to the cab area & used to light a warning light.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
tony, that's a good idea and I'll follow that through. Had my 1 1/2 days of playing with new camper but now have to go back to real work for the next 3 weeks, I'll post again when I get back to the problem but for now the buzzer is switched off so that will do.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back