2005 Hymer roof, want to drill through it (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Need to drill through the roof of our 2005/6 Hymer B680 Starline to feed solar panel cables through, are there any strengthening ribs or frame that I should avoid?
Earlier Hymer bodies were built on a metal frame but probably not for this age of MH, anyone have the answer?

My best guess is the roof is made up as a sandwich of different materials which bonded together give the strength required, but would like to know for sure if there is any frame at all so I can avoid it.

Thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could there be cabling as well you'll need to avoid?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
When I drilled through mine for solar cables it was; carpet, expanding foam, aluminium - nothing else. Drill went right through - no bother - five minute job.

But be aware, I have an old Hymer, it might be different in newer models.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
In a 2004 S class it's GRP, 40mm insulation foam then a thin laminate all bonded. No inserts (timber or metal) even around rooflight openings.

Dick

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I drilled the roof of my 2007 B544SL to install a solar panel. Used a very fine drill above the wardrobe and gradually increased drill size carefully looking for any cable on each drill, nothing in the roof and it was an easy job.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
IMG_1502.JPG
I drilled a pilot hole from the inside then used a suitable hole cutter. The aluminium skin is very thin, maybe 0.5mm?
Hole in wardrobe so exceptionally easy to route cables.

IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1510.JPG

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any cables in the Hymer roof are in plastic trunking. As far as I know the only one in mine is to feed the lights mounted in the front rooflight. They certainly don't run cables in the roof other than to feed things mounted in the roof. Incidentally one of those cheapo cable & stud detectors, whilst rubbish for studs (wood) will certainly find cables - not needed for your Hymer though. Mine's 2005 B584.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks everyone.

The solar regulator and the Schaudt Elektroblock that the reg connects to have to be in close proximity (within 30 - 50cm accordingly to Schaudt), which is the opposite side of the MH to the wardrobe. But I will come through into an upper cupboard which also makes life very easy too. Thinking that there could be a basic frame within the monocoque made me ask. And thanks Gellyneck for mentioning cabling too.

So unless everybody who responded got very lucky it appears as though there isn't anything other than the composite sandwich in the roof. As you kaasbroodje I'll be using a hole saw but will drill 5 pilot holes around the circumference of the hole saw outline with a fine drill bit first just to be sure. Will also use the same through the roof junction box too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back