2005 Hymer B544 main skylight. (1 Viewer)

pilatesinavan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

About a month ago the main living area skylight started to leak. Took it out and resealed it using seamseal CV.

Now there is some water drops coming from the winder. Took covers off and can see water pooling in roof beside the winder.

Had a look and there is a frame that holds the winder cog and a cog on the outside that is connected to a threaded bar (see attached pictures)

I now need to take out this frame and clean and reseal. The frame is held down with SS screws and looks to have non setting mastic underneath.

Anyone do this?
If I take out all screws will the whole frame just lift up?
I found the skylight was easy enough but time consuming.

Any advice appreciated as I plan to do it next week.

Thx
IMG_20171204_115145.jpg
IMG_20171204_114902.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yeah. My B584 had the identical crap device. I threw it away & fitted a Heki which is bigger. By doing so I cut away the roof that had the 30+ holes for SS screws in it leaving a nice clean hole for the clamp fitting Heki. I don't know what sealant Hymer use but once unscrewed my old rooflight simply lifted off without any effort. Hymer obviously don't know about butyl mastic. The Heki makes the interior of the van much brighter too because it doesn't have the 'spotty' pattern that the Hymer version has.

It comes off exactly as you suggest.

OP
OP
pilatesinavan

pilatesinavan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
@tonyidle Sounds like the right job. Won't go down that line just yet.

@scotjimland That's exactly what I done a month ago. I cleaned and reused all the items. Only advise I would give anyone else is to take off the table top which makes better room for a ladder. I did not do that but I will be this time.
So you didn't have to take out the frame for the winder of the dome?
I looked at the frame and winder at the time and all looked ok but obviously the mastic is shot around the winder.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Probably repeating some of the given advice : -

The long 'L' shaped winding mechanism bracket can be removed by removing the internal winding handle and the eight (8) roof screws plus the two push/pull rods attached to the 'dome'
Better access is obtained if the plastic dome is removed first.
The whole length of the bracket needs to be sealed to stop future rust forming between the bracket and roof.
I also added a long length of Fiamma DripStop Guttering across the roof just behind the 'dome' frame which diverts most rain away from the winding mechanism bracket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back