2005 Ducato jump lead attachement. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I always keep (but have never needed) a set of jump leads in the van, should I or someone else gets stuck. Whilst putting them in the locker ready for our upcoming jaunts I thought I'd have a quick look where I would put them in the event where I did need them..........

Where the hell do you put the positive lead on a 2005 2.8 JTD Fiat Ducato?????? The positive on the battery is buried way back yonder and covered by loads of bits and bobs - hideous.

Any photos of where the positive can be connected? Knowing Fiat (bless them) it's remote but hidden from everyone all bar a technician that would fleece me...:Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from memory theres an insulated terminal near the radiator. unclip the cover to use but be careful not to short anything from it to earth

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Pretty sure there isn't one. The jump terminal appeared on the X250
This was only because the starter battery is not in the engine bay but under the cab floor
CA_01161421303636-L.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be VERY CAREFUL if you ever offer to give someone's vehicle a jump start - you can do SERIOUS DAMAGE to your OWN vehicle's CPU if you do ... even if you do it correctly! :whatthe:

We were told this by an AA man last year who came to get the next door neighbour's car going as her battery had gone totally flat, fortunately he arrived before hubby had a chance to get our jump leads out so we avoided any problems, but the chap said it is very common for someone to fry their own vehicle's electrics by doing so! :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Be VERY CAREFUL if you ever offer to give someone's vehicle a jump start - you can do SERIOUS DAMAGE to your OWN vehicle's CPU if you do ... even if you do it correctly! :whatthe:

We were told this by an AA man last year who came to get the next door neighbour's car going as her battery had gone totally flat, fortunately he arrived before hubby had a chance to get our jump leads out so we avoided any problems, but the chap said it is very common for someone to fry their own vehicle's electrics by doing so! :Eeek:

yes, the ecu can be spiked but if the ign is off on the 'invalid' car when connected and the 'doner' car is run for 5 or 10 minutes to put some charge in the dead battery before attempting a start then all should be fine.

Its the sudden power surge from the doner car into a flat battery while the ign is on which causes the damage.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've had this problem in the past Kev,if yours is the same as mine you can unclip the offending cluster over the positive lug.
It is awkward as there still remains a bundle of wires you have to manhandle out the way.An easy solution to this is to fit a Spare tail off the positive to aid any jump starts in the future.

Vlad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a Mercedes so this may not help, but we needed a jump start and had to call the RAC, our battery is under the floor so I wondered where the connection would be made

On our engine we have a red and black plastic round disc that both push back to leave a pillar, I would never have thought to look or even know what they were till I saw them used

You might be as lucky on your Fiat hopefully

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

I have the same set up as you I think, and yes there is a common positive 'rail' under a plastic cover. Be very carful as there is little room.
And as has been said above and others NOT a good idea anyway because of the damage it can do. Due to the (back emf) when putting on, or more so taking off the leads.
Steve

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I've had this problem in the past Kev,if yours is the same as mine you can unclip the offending cluster over the positive lug.
It is awkward as there still remains a bundle of wires you have to manhandle out the way.An easy solution to this is to fit a Spare tail off the positive to aid any jump starts in the future.

Vlad

Hi Vlad,
cracking idea - will be onto it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone else too - why can't vans be like the good old days, I just had a look in the handbook and it is full of 'don't do this, as this could happen - don't do that as this could go', etc etc etc.........
:Angry:
It looks like the only safe way (should you ever be stuck with a flat battery) is to connect up and build the charge up.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I park my van at the side of the house with its arse nearest the road.Cant get another vehicle close enough to jump it,if I have any trouble I disconnect the battery from my work van carry it to the front of MH connect jump leads to tail and hey presto.
No running engine,alternator,power spikes, simple :thumb:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back