2004 Sprinter Service Recommendations Nottingham (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Would anyone have any recommendations where I might get a good vehicle service, excluding the habitation, on our 2004 Mercedes Sprinter S680 in the Nottingham area?

Many thanks
Dave

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all

Would anyone have any recommendations where I might get a good vehicle service, excluding the habitation, on our 2004 Mercedes Sprinter S680 in the Nottingham area?

Many thanks
Dave
2004, well out of any warranty or anything, have you thought of having it done right and do it yourself probably a quarter of the cost(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
2004, well out of any warranty or anything, have you thought of having it done right and do it yourself probably a quarter of the cost(y):)

A few years ago maybe, worked in a garage for a couple of years, apprentice until I decided to join the RAF. So what we talking about, engine, gearbox and back axle oils, filters etc. It would be getting wheels on and off for brakes that would be a challenge I reckon. Tempting, quite enjoy getting my hands grubby!!! Need to find some service schedule etc.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I wouldn't want to guesstimate. Ive paid £400 and Ive paid over £1000 but the higher price included brake fluid change, coolant drained and changed. Dont forget Merc parts are not the cheapest. Best bet is give them a call and ask for the cost of the relevant service.

@DavidG58 can probably vouch for the benefit, or otherwise of using the main dealer as opposed to 'third party experts'.

PS - I would never take my van to a Motorhome Dealer for engine servicing, or fitting of ancilliary equipment. Appreciate that new MH's have to have Hab checks done by MH dealers to maintain the warranty.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
A few years ago maybe, worked in a garage for a couple of years, apprentice until I decided to join the RAF. So what we talking about, engine, gearbox and back axle oils, filters etc. It would be getting wheels on and off for brakes that would be a challenge I reckon. Tempting, quite enjoy getting my hands grubby!!! Need to find some service schedule etc.

Sprinters aren't that easy to work on and access is much worse with an A class body, even the air filter is awkward on a sprinter but the fuel filter is an absolute nightmare and they dont self bleed generally. As a guide for cost we charge £135 plus parts for a chassis service which includes all filters, oil and wheels removed for brake inspection, parts are generally around £100 but can be up to £150 for some vehicles .

Hope this helps, D.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As Ken suggests above, I have had very good service from our local Mertrux at J28 M1, my initial encounter was to sort out a botched turbo repair, (botch by an independent) it cost a small fortune to sort, but involved removing the gearbox for access, the independent couldn't cope with that and tried to reach round blind

Mertrux supported me no end by holding the maximum labour to double what is booked for a standard Mercedes turbo swap, in the end it took nearly 4 times as long

As for service, not cheap, nowhere near as cheap as Dave above (y) a full service for under £250 inc VAT is a bargain for a Mercedes, mine has 10 litres of oil

Ours is 3.0l on an 05 chassis but is on a 24 month 20,000 mile service interval, you may not even need a service yet :)(y)

Mertrux will quote you for the service, then probably curse when they see it :) access is really hard as you will probably know yourself just for screen wash, let alone filters, my services have always had other work done at the same time, but my last one done on return from Norway was around £340 inc VAT included new oil and filters and some time looking for my failed D+

that was interesting and slightly disappointing, they declared the problem to be in the MH after checking, when I found it was a chassis fault they sorted it for free and also only charged me for parts when they also found front brake issues

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Sprinters aren't that easy to work on and access is much worse with an A class body, even the air filter is awkward on a sprinter but the fuel filter is an absolute nightmare and they dont self bleed generally. As a guide for cost we charge £135 plus parts for a chassis service which includes all filters, oil and wheels removed for brake inspection, parts are generally around £100 but can be up to £150 for some vehicles .

Hope this helps, D.

Many thanks, that sounds like pretty good value for money to me Dave. Your about 70 miles from me, shame not a bit nearer!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
You have a motorhome and there's a campsite 400 yds from our workshop. ☺

D.

Thanks Dave, along with a service can you also do MOT testing? Van is not due until July? Sounds like a good plan, stop at campsite and book van in with you the following day.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back