Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

I'm going to be replacing the brake discs, pads and handbrake shoes on my 2004 2.7 Sprinter. I also have (picked up as advisory last MOT), rusting on offside brake pipe. I'm considering removing this myself and having a replacement made up whilst doing the other work on the brakes.

Have done this kind of work in the past often, but are there any peculiarities with the Sprinter braking system with regard to bleeding?

Cheers Dave

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
My worry with all vehicles when bleeding brake systems is that pumping the pedal puts undue stress on seals and the like. If you can borrow a bleed kit that pumps fluid gently without depressing brake pedal it's worth while. I'll ask around and see if any one can help and will p m you.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
My worry with all vehicles when bleeding brake systems is that pumping the pedal puts undue stress on seals and the like. If you can borrow a bleed kit that pumps fluid gently without depressing brake pedal it's worth while. I'll ask around and see if any one can help and will p m you.

Many thanks, I've seen a couple of bleed kits on Eurocarparts reasonably priced, along with all the other parts I need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi just bought rapdio on a merc 316 2.7 I genuine parts from agents all diss pads handbrake shoes and ware senders cost £289 with the rear let off handbrake ajusment also iner drum ajusment fit shoes new diss pads make sure all the pad carrier are clean pads go in very freely same in front use lm grease not copper grease ajusment of the shoes lockup let off 1or2 clicks till free then bring handbrake back to ajusment then use pressure bleeder they will be sponge for a while merc brakes are not great any way I am a mechanic of some of 50 years Andy

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Re handbrake shoes in rear disc if its that type set up use gen MB shoes as aftermarket shoes have a job getting good readings in MOT .

Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
I would use gen comes as a kit with all the fittings as well but there aren’t great brakes on the merc hope that helps

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi just bought rapdio on a merc 316 2.7 I genuine parts from agents all diss pads handbrake shoes and ware senders cost £289 with the rear let off handbrake ajusment also iner drum ajusment fit shoes new diss pads make sure all the pad carrier are clean pads go in very freely same in front use lm grease not copper grease ajusment of the shoes lockup let off 1or2 clicks till free then bring handbrake back to ajusment then use pressure bleeder they will be sponge for a while merc brakes are not great any way I am a mechanic of some of 50 years Andy

Many thanks Andy. Could I enquire from where you obtained your parts? I was going to order from Euro car parts who supply various brands, but I was going to go for Bosch parts hoping they would be fine? Dave

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the comments.

I've had a look at the rusty brake pipe. It's over a two inch run where moisture looks to collect. I've cleaned it up and it doesn't look so bad. Will have a better look when home though and have just greased it for now.

Interesting on the general brake performance comments; I thought the pedal felt somewhat spongy, OK but when applying the brakes if you lift the pedal and go a second time it's much firmer. As for handbrake...totally naff really! Have trouble just keeping on the front ramps when I need it, and being a Sprintshift I don't want to be leaving it in gear as this seems to be unwise! Have two Sprinter chocks that I used on the ferry that seems to help!!! This is really why I want to overhaul the brakes and see if I can improve them a bit. Handbrake doesn't entirely surprise me though, tiny couple of brake drums to hold over 4 tons!

Cheers for all the advice, most gratefully received, Dave

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If a second push on the brakes firms up the pedal there is air in the system. Bleeding & fluid change would be well worth doing when changing shoes / pads.

Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi Dave I got genuine parts from Mercedes-Benz but I got trade prices euro car parts do ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT PARTS

Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Tony get pressure bleeder go right round all wheels there mite be nipple on load Sencer valve on back axle that were the air gets trapped

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back