2003 Hymer AlKo chassis rust? (1 Viewer)

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I’ve posted this in the Hymer section as well but thought my post my be seen by others as well in here,

Im looking to buy a Hymer B584 - on a vehicle I’m considering the rear bolt on section of al ko chassis is quite rusty with surface corrosion but not holed. It’s a 2003 model. Is this a major concern or can it be wire brushed and treated and if so how should I go about it? Thanks

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I have never seen galvanized go rusty before ..even old water tanks been left out in farmers fields..

Anyway if it has no holes then wire brush ..rust treatment then hammerite.
Half a day's work tho.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Are you sure it's a part of the galvanised chassis and not a steel bolt on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it’s not an al ko chassis but I think it is from the plate under the bonnet ( I have discussed the AlKo chassis or not in relation to maybe updating the weight at some me point on the Hymer forum already)

is the rear part something that can be unbolted to treat and repaint or far to difficult and should be done in situ?

The rust that I’m seeing is all over that particular part of the chassis but as I mentioned on the surface as opposed to be structurally compromised.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Lousy job but worth doing if it’s still sound
Get the most aggressive looking rotary brush you can find and stick it in a drill, you will need goggles as well
Then go for it like you hate it, especially in corners
If you can get the bolts undone and out (one at a time) then even better
Then look for a treatment, lots available, to convert the rust to a non-corrosive compound, then Hammerite as above
I think the treatments are a very mild phosphoric acid which converts the rust which is ferrous oxide

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I have never seen galvanized go rusty before ..even old water tanks been left out in farmers fields..

Anyway if it has no holes then wire brush ..rust treatment then hammerite.
Half a day's work tho.
Thanks. I don’t mind the half day of work - as long as the work is doable by an enthusiastic bodger like myself! Wire brush, stop rust treatment and then paint seems to be in my skill set!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like the chassis extention which is just painted black its not part of the Al-Ko chassis but added by Hymer to surport the garage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back