2003 Ducato 2.8 Electrical Problem (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Can anyone offer some advice. Swapping headlights for continental ones this afternoon and I have shorted / screwed something up. I no longer have indicators or hazards. When I turn the ignition on fuel guage and temperature guages shoot left ie to empty/cold then return to normal. Dash shows "batt" message initially then clears, van starts and all other lights seem to work. Fuse for direction indicators seems ok?
Ideas?
Thanks
Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
2003 is pre canbus though isn't it?

all too easy to disturb old wiring an damage a connection. probably an earth connection near one of the light clusters has been disturbed. may take a bit of finding

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nope mine is 2003 and CANBUS, (remember my temp gauge issues)
that would be an ecu fault, not canbus, surely as the x250 was as far as i know the first canbus model. so after 2006 basically:thumb:

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the comments. I have now sorted the problem as simply as replacing a fuse although identifying the fuse was a challenge and it was 7.5 amp should have been 10. This did not help! Strange things tho all dials on dash went reverse when first turned on. Clock zeroed itself . Very odd but all seems to be sorted now..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the comments. I have now sorted the problem as simply as replacing a fuse although identifying the fuse was a challenge and it was 7.5 amp should have been 10. This did not help! Strange things tho all dials on dash went reverse when first turned on. Clock zeroed itself . Very odd but all seems to be sorted now..
pleased to hear its sorted:thumb:
a floating earth will cause all sorts of weird things to happen as circuits like gauges and clocks need to have a fixed point to reference from. the circuit with the blown fuse was likely to be wired in such a way that it gave a reference voltage to the display binnacle through the lighting circuit. remember, switching on the lights also lights up the dashboard. and not all circuits are positive triggered or indeed fused on the positive feed

CHUBBY

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile bessacarr
Exp
25 yrs
Hi Peter just had same fault with my 53 Ducato 2.8 Utd yesterday and cut short my hols in Devon to limp home,could you possibly tell me where the mystical fuse was that caused the problems...I,m a newbie first post so hope this I'm many thanks Brian

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It's possibly not related in the slightest, but my throttle revs problem last year on my 2002 2.8 jtd was all down to dirty/corrosion/damp connections on ECU.

CHUBBY

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile bessacarr
Exp
25 yrs
Thanks Dave and ginny I did check that yesterday and all other connections ,but I was away in Devon with very limited toolkit and due to go further west but bottled it and headed home,I have exactly the faults listed by forester so I reckon must be the same fault,I checked all fuses but obviously I,m missing something.in a bit of a panic yesterday to get off one site and head off to next..less haste I guess .hope forester is still a member and can help

CHUBBY

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile bessacarr
Exp
25 yrs
Thank you leftlegger did a quick check yesterday but hoping to get back to van(now back in storage) tomorrow morning and do further checks

CHUBBY

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Low profile bessacarr
Exp
25 yrs
Can anyone offer some advice. Swapping headlights for continental ones this afternoon and I have shorted / screwed something up. I no longer have indicators or hazards. When I turn the ignition on fuel guage and temperature guages shoot left ie to empty/cold then return to normal. Dash shows "batt" message initially then clears, van starts and all other lights seem to work. Fuse for direction indicators seems ok?
Ideas?
Thanks
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back