Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
20160821_155117 001.jpg
I`ve posted before about lack of power particularly up inclines, I`m never in too much of a hurry and accept it`s a heavy vehicle so put up with it.
But it does bug me rather to think something not working as it should so after doing some reading on here and Fiat Forum I`m wondering if the wastegate is stuck open ? thereby bypassing the turbo if I read it correctly.
Can anyone tell me if it`s possible to check myself if it is stuck and if it`s a retrievable situation ?
I downloaded this photo (cant remember from where, maybe on here) which is the same as mine and shows the wastegate by the red arrow
TIA

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Does it do a loud cheeerupppp after every gearchange? if not then its speaker has gone:xgrin::xgrin:

On serious note, it should be possible to see it moving if you pull that cable by the yellow arrow, but only with the engine running:xThumb:

Mine is 2002 and I had it remapped cos I was changing down on small motorway inclines, made it much better:xThumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Is yours left or right hand drive, I did hear somewhere that right hand drives have a slightly smaller turbo so don't quite have the same ooomf, but I could be totally wrong:xwink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure follow first paragraph, are you on the vino ?
The cable by the green arrow I think is the gear change linkage.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
2.8JTD struggled on power uphill.

I had to free up and lube the turbo boost actuator/wastegate (as some call them) lever, on the variable vane turbo and now I dont get the red management light come on while going uphill and pulls much better :)

Used a 12inch AJ on the bracket at the end of the shaft you have highlighted with the red arrow. Popped the van on its levelling ramps, slid underneath and had someone run the engine while I gave the lever a gentle wobble and felt it free up in a second and now works perfect. The vanes can get stuck for whatever reason. That was over 2 years ago and been good as gold since:)

Pictures for reference if they help
IMG_2332.jpg
IMG_2349.PNG

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
And you could give the gear linkage a good spraying with WD40 while your under there too:)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
As far as I know, most wastegates are vacuum operated, so cannot be checked without a vacuum pump.

ufitsy

Free Member
May 7, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Is yours left or right hand drive, I did hear somewhere that right hand drives have a slightly smaller turbo so don't quite have the same ooomf, but I could be totally wrong:xwink:
The 2.8 did come in 2 flavours 127 & 146 hp, the 146 was only available on the lhd. There was only a small increase in torque but the main difference was that max torque is available from 1500 rpm. It was called the maxi or jtd power engine

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Variable vane turbos although look similar to a fixed vane unit do not have a wastegate.
I have never had a wastegate stick open but they can stick shut causing overboost which would cause the engine management light coming on.
Variable vane actuators on the other hand are much more likely to stick but usually in the low speed high output position.
Either type can be very simply tested using a vacuum like a Mighty Vac handheld pump.
The 2.8 engine while big capacity is a very lazy engine and unless making the best available torque is a poor hill climber.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What @PP Bear said. Small shifter on the arm on turbo end & try moving it side to side. It should be spring loaded & return back. Put some releasing oil on it as well If the arm to waste gate lever is moving around 90º then it will be functioning.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
@Figaro what's it like on the level? I've had my 2004 2.8jtd remapped but it won't hold 70mph up long motorway climbs (it will hold 80mph). I think it's because of the 5th gear ratio. Try using 4th and revving it a bit more. :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You should be able to pull the rod which goes into the wastegate to make sure it isn't stuck. Can be quite hard but should move.

Joe

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Variable vane turbos although look similar to a fixed vane unit do not have a wastegate.
I have never had a wastegate stick open but they can stick shut causing overboost which would cause the engine management light coming on.
Variable vane actuators on the other hand are much more likely to stick but usually in the low speed high output position.
Either type can be very simply tested using a vacuum like a Mighty Vac handheld pump.
The 2.8 engine while big capacity is a very lazy engine and unless making the best available torque is a poor hill climber.
Thanks for input
I don`t know which type of turbo but I thought the red arrow in photo was pointing at the wastegate ?
I never had a dash light come on
Is the Mighty Vac something my garage would be familiar with doing ?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The red arrow is pointing at the rod which operates the wastegate, the left hand end of this rod goes into the small "can" type object which works off engine vacuum, the right hand end goes to the turbo wastegate. Vacuum is delivered by the small black rubber pipe just visible underneath the green arrow, these sometimes split or perish and would give these symptoms you describe.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
what's it like on the level? I've had my 2004 2.8jtd remapped but it won't hold 70mph up long motorway climbs (it will hold 80mph). I think it's because of the 5th gear ratio. Try using 4th and revving it a bit more. :)
I never had it to 80 mph. I think I`d need to be going downhill with a tail wind !

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Thanks for input
I don`t know which type of turbo but I thought the red arrow in photo was pointing at the wastegate ?
I never had a dash light come on
Is the Mighty Vac something my garage would be familiar with doing ?
They should be familiar with vacuum testing and it is a 2 minute test once connected. Of course it is possible that the actuator is fine but the control modulator is faulty (all assuming that you are actually down on power).
Not a recommendation to try unless you know what you are doing but disconnecting the pipe and then driving it to test will confirm but this can be risky if too much right foot is used and is likely to put on the engine management light.
Forgot to say that your photo does appear to be a fixed vane turbo so it is a wastegate

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Vacuum is delivered by the small black rubber pipe just visible underneath the green arrow, these sometimes split or perish and would give these symptoms you describe.
Thanks for input, I`ll certainly check that rubber pipe when the weather gets a bit better.
If thats ok I`ll probably just leave it for now.
It`s going in the garage for a wheel bearing in the new year so I might get them to look at it.
Thanks Again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back