2002 Hymer Classic Front Lens (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I need to get at the front indicator bulb and as far as I can make out it appears that I need to gently lever it off from outside :eek:

From inside the engine compartment I can make out what appears to be lugs on the inside of the lens. I cant' push from inside though so looks like it a case of trying to gently pry off from outside.
Feels like a disaster waiting to happen with a broken lens to replace, made worse by my googling spares and drawing a blank!

Can anyone advise on removing these lens covers and should one break where spares may be obtained?
Cheers Dave

P1020768.JPG

Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer, Ducato 2.8jtd
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Dave

Did you have any luck sourcing a supplier of the Front Spacer Lamp Lens for your 2002 Classic?
I now need a replacement for the left hand side and am reluctant to pay £65 inc carriage for a bit of frosted plastic!

Regards

John

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi John
I've never replaced them, my post was about trying to learn how to remove the indicator lens cover which I have now managed. It's held in place by a spring from the inside! Mind you, both my spacer lens could do with replacing but I've never tried to source them! Where did you locate them?
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Dave

There is a new left hand lens on Ebay at the moment for £63.41 + carriage - I was hoping to find one at a more reasonable price!

John

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have one if you are talking about the left hand side when in the driving seat, rather than the left hand side when outside and looking at it from the front.

My right hand side one was destroyed by hitting a bird and I bought the pair, but never used the left hand side one and have now sold the Hymer.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
How do they remove @Whitebirdyman? The indicator lens are a nightmare with the odd Spring arrangement, getting them off is not so bad but refitting is almost impossible!

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
The indicator unit comes out once you release the spring, I released it from the rear point not from the lens end. The spacer bit we are talking about then just comes out, mine was fairly easy as the bird I hit had done a good job on smashing it, so I was only really removing shards from around the edges. I can't remember any specific difficulties with fitting in the new spacer and the indicator lens unit then went back in place and locked it in.

The real difficulty for me came in refitting the spring as I was not strong enough to pull it back to its original attachment point after I had refixed it to the lens unit. What I had to do was fit something else to attach it to, I figured that having the spring less taut it would still be strong enough to hold in the lens. I fixed a ring from key ring to the original mounting point and could stretch the spring to attach to that. That worked OK and the lens and spacer piece stayed in place for a number of years with no problem.

If my ring idea had not worked I was going to pull the spring by attaching strong string and placing that around something to act as a pulley, then I would have needed a second person to pull on the spring while I fitted it into the hole.

I have the spare left hand spacer piece as I had thought that having one old and one new would look odd, but in the event it looked OK to me and so I never fitted the left hand one, just kept it for when the next bird hit me. I have now sold the Hymer and the spare bit is somewhere in the garage and available if anyone wants it.

I do have a few other spares, eg a new water pump in its packaging and a whole new shower/tap assembly for the bathroom and a security lock for the drivers door, all for the Hymer Classic A-class, mine was a 2002.

I got the spare bits via Premier Motorhomes at Chichester, their spares person was very helpful. I can't remember the exact price but I think I paid around £120 for the pair of spacers.

Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Whitebirdyman

I would be interested in your lens if you can find it in your garage. Just to clarify what I mean by left hand side = the nearside if you are driving on UK roads. If this is the lens you have I would be interested. Perhaps you could email me directly at john@emeraldflyscreens.co.uk

Kind regards

John

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Yes, that is the correct one. I will have a look for it later and then get in touch directly.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
My 544 is LHD so not sure if RHD is any different under the hood...probably not!

Facing the vehicle, I found the LHS lens reasonably easy to release and refit the spring. The RHS is a pig as you can barely get your hand in behind and I think I ended up with cuts all up my arm! In the end I attached a couple of cable ties to give me an additional loop to help pull it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back