2001 Hymer B544 12v electrics problem (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer, Ducato 2.8jtd
Exp
Since 2009
Our Hymer was working perfectly on our last outing in late October. After the recent cold spell I tried to start the engine but battery level was too low. I charged up the engine battery with a battery charger and topped up the habitation battery with the 240v link-up lead. Both batteries now show 14v.
The engine starts up easily but when I switch on the habitation 12v switch on the control panel above the rear door the green light only comes on if either the engine is running or the van is linked up to a 240v supply. The Electroblock (EBL 99) is switched to "ein" and the EBL clicks when you turn on the green 12v habitation electrics switch.
Is there any way a layman can test the EBL? I am reluctant to send the unit away for repair / replacement if there is something less serious causing the problem.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Leisure battery main fuse failed. It's likely to be next to the battery. Alternatively the leisure battery + or - connection has failed (loose clamp or corrosion on either battery terminal).

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
When you connect with EHU it should charge both the starter and leisure battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for your suggestions. I located a big yellow 20A fuse beside the leisure battery under the driver's seat and sure enough it had blown. I haven't been able to get a replacement fuse over the holiday so I bridged the fuse with a piece of 15A fuse wire. Unfortunately this hasn't cured the problem. I've checked the battery connections and they seem ok. Is there anything else I should be looking at until I can get the correct replacement fuse after the holidays?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Your Hymer handbook should confirm the correct value, but I thought the standard main habitation battery fuse was 50 amp; it is in mine, which also has an EBL 99. The fuse between starter and habitation batteries (normally next to the starter battery) is also 50 amp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Was able to get out to Halfords today and get a new fuse - all is now working ok. Philip, I checked our Hymer handbook and fuses to both the batteries on the B544 are supposed to be 30amp so I have replaced the blown 20amp fuse with the correct 30amp fuse - not quite sure what the 20amp fuse was doing there in the first place!
Thanks to everyone for your help with this thread

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Philip, I checked our Hymer handbook and fuses to both the batteries on the B544 are supposed to be 30amp so I have replaced the blown 20amp fuse with the correct 30amp fuse - not quite sure what the 20amp fuse was doing there in the first place!

Maybe you should double-check the fuse location and amperage value. You may be looking at the wrong fuse in the manual.

There are two starter battery fuses on my Hymer.

1. A 50 amp fuse, which allows the alternator, while charging the starter battery, to charge the leisure batteries also. Since the alternator current could be quite high, a 50 amp fuse is required.

2. A 20 amp fuse, which is dual-purpose. On EHU it allows the EBL charger to charge the starter battery. While engine is running it allows the alternator/starter battery to power the fridge on 12V. Since the EBL charger is 18A max, a 20amp fuse is fine. The fridge takes about 15 amps on 12 volts. A couple of relays inside the EBL take care of all the switching.

Note there is also a 50 amp fuse for the leisure batteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back