Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Pray tell us at least, what is the fuel source? Energy cannot be created, it is simply converted so unless you are Dr Who and have access to extra-terrestrial technology that circumvents the rules of physics on planet Earth you are talking out of your bumhole::bigsmile:.

D.
a very polite post.:Eeek:
who said anything about creating energy,i didnt, what i did say was i am building a unit that can fast charge batteries nothing more nothing less,am sorry but solar panals create power by converting sunlight.no extra-terrestrial technology there, is there????
and how about nuclear power that creates power and thats old tecnology???

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
let me tell you how this all started.
the wife wanted to use her hair dryer while off ehu,i do carry a 650watt genny always,but not big enough to run her hair dryer so thought i would get an inverter,and this put me at the point i am now.
how can i replenish the batteries fast enough so the inverter dont pull all the power out the batteries.
buy a big honda genny(to heavy, to dear)
put solar panels on the roof (to unreliable and for my needs underpowered)unless i cover the whole roof with them?
so i sat and thought ,what am i trying to achieve?
i am trying to fast charge my batteries,then thought how can i do this??
then it hit me and thats were i am at today building someting that can fast charge a battery.
its not rocket science, it so simple.
its light ,its cheap to run,cheap to repair,and small.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If your idea doesn't work (perish the thought) then solar could be adequate.

Assuming your missus only dries her hair once a day. It probably takes less than 10minutes.

At 1kw 10mins use on your inverter will be 90amps/6=30amp hours.

Solar panel(s) of around 160-200w producing 10a will replace the loss in about 3 hours of sunshine. (Jim has 320w on his Hymer, though it can't take him long to dry his hair:roflmto:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
go for it

ring inverter is a superb unit but not cheap 2.1kw constant and peaks at around 3kw , the only inverter i have found that does not blow when mains is fed backwards into it , will run element type loads, inverter runs van on 240v when connected back into 240v circuit, turn off charge unit or it tries to charge batteries as well , marine batteries are a hybred unit designed for high ampage use for cranking engines and low usage for boat leisure use and we have a pair of these that have been superb for last 12 months with the big inverter , you only use the power you need but always nice to have enough to do everything, fridge runs on inverter while on ferry, chip fryer has run off inverter, wifes straightners , hair dryer and even henry hoover when needed, go for it :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Solar panels and nuclear power stations do NOT create energy they convert it from one form to another. What is your fuel source please?

D.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Solar panels and nuclear power stations do NOT create energy they convert it from one form to another. What is your fuel source please?

D.
methonol
achohol
propane
butane
methane/natural gas
nuclear
petrol
diesel
wood
coal
the sun
wave power
wind power
steam
compressed air

take your pick:thumb:

as i said it aint nothing new,but it seem's to have give you lot something to think about?
think outside the box,ok
whats the fastest way to charge a flat 12v battery,without damaging it?
come on guys its easy?
come on guys it simple?
answers on a postcard to shiffzz PO box 165 uk.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris the quickest way I know is to touch the terminals with a electric welder for a few seconds (clip on the earth to neg,and hold the rod on the live for two seconds several times)that really gets the juices flowing :Eeek:::bigsmile::winky: That would need to be coupled up to the mains so not very portable :ROFLMAO:Short of having power stored in a battery or capacitor the only other thing I can think of to give a big jolt is one of the sparky's mega things that you wind up and press the button to test circuits :whatthe: but would that give the required results ?
terry

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Chris the quickest way I know is to touch the terminals with a electric welder for a few seconds (clip on the earth to neg,and hold the rod on the live for two seconds several times)that really gets the juices flowing :Eeek:::bigsmile::winky: That would need to be coupled up to the mains so not very portable :ROFLMAO:Short of having power stored in a battery or capacitor the only other thing I can think of to give a big jolt is one of the sparky's mega things that you wind up and press the button to test circuits :whatthe: but would that give the required results ?
terry
no not it:ROFLMAO:
this is a stand alone unit that will charge 12v batteries 24/7 if needed,i think the inverter is throwing people.
the inverter is only needed so i can run 230v in the van off my batteries,it has no other purpose.
if you have dead batteries, i could connect this unit to the batteries and recharge them,no problem.:thumb:
i could do the same with a big genny,but i wanted something light(under 12kg) that is lighter than my 650watt honda suitcase genny but with more charging power.
and that is what im building:thumb:
as i say it has been done before,but not as far as i can see in the configaration that im doing it in.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
then it hit me and thats were i am at today building someting that can fast charge a battery.

Morning Chris..

I admire anyone who thinks outside the box..

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say it's not possible without damaging the battery ..
Advice from all major manufacturers of FLAs give the maximum SAFE charging current as: C/3 where C = capacity in ah

For example .. you have a 90ah battery , the safe max current is 30A , this would take a theoretical 3 hours to fully charge ..

If you are suggesting that you can charge the same battery in minutes .. ( for the sake of the argument lets say 5 mins) you would need to pump in 450 A ..

Not only would this destroy the battery.. but lets assume your device can do this safely .. where do you supply this power from ? ( At 14 v x 450A = 6.48kw ) to put this into prospective this is more than twice what a 16A EHU can provide

So.. two issues

It's not safe and you need a large power source .. you say you can do this ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Morning Chris..

I admire anyone who thinks outside the box..

I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say it's not possible without damaging the battery ..
Advice from all major manufacturers of FLAs give the maximum SAFE charging current as: C/3 where C = capacity in ah

For example .. you have a 90ah battery , the safe max current is 30A , this would take a theoretical 3 hours to fully charge ..

If you are suggesting that you can charge the same battery in minutes .. ( for the sake of the argument lets say 5 mins) you would need to pump in 450 A ..

Not only would this destroy the battery.. but lets assume your device can do this safely .. where do you supply this power from ? ( At 14 v x 450A = 6.48kw ) to illustrate this is more than twice what a 16A EHU can provide

So.. two issues

It's not safe and you need a large power source .. you say you can do this ?
jim
you know and i know its not possible to charge a battery in five mins.
but nobody has answerd my Q.whats the fastest way to replace lost charge out of a 12v battery?without damageing it.
i dont know if you read this but its what im sort of trying to do?:thumb:

1. Will the fast charge rate also put more into my batteries? One can clearly see that on the 13.3 volt charge only 21 amp hours were put into the battery as opposed to 60 amp hours with the 14.8 charge. An improvement of about 300%.
  2. Did this 300% improvement actually go into the battery or was it simply lost in heat and gas etc? The inverter discharge test clearly shows that the 13.2 volt battery ran the inverter for 48 minutes, whereas the 14.8 volt test ran the inverter for 114 minutes, a clear 230% improvement. So yes, the extra amps were being stored in the battery and were accessed by the inverter and used.
  3. Will the high charge rate boil my batteries? One can see the rise in the battery temperature at 14.8 volts was from 18C to 32C, which is still well below the manufacturers recommended temperature limit of 50C. Also bear in mind that this test was charging a 100 amp hour battery at 150 amps, in real life with 4 x 100 amp hour batteries you would need a 500 amp alternator or battery charger to be able to reproduce this test run.
  4. Is it possible to put a lot of power into a battery in 1 hr? The graph clearly shows that the bulk of the power absorbed by the charger was in the first hour. So obviously the battery was comfortable with this as the temperature rise was well within the battery's limits.
  5. Does a 100 amp hour battery give 100 amps of useful power? Simply not true; even with the best charger, at least 40% or 40 amp hours tends to be no use in a battery.
  6. Are there any other benefits from this fast charging? Yes, you also de sulphate the batteries, dramatically increasing the life of them. You will also reduce the running hours of your engine and fuel costs, associated with the charging of the batteries. In fact there are no down sides to this process.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris, so to sum up (if I have it right )it is portable, small and lighter than a genny :thumb:charges a flat battery in under 5 mins :thumb: yet does not have battery's or capacitors :thumb: yet can produce power 24/7 to charge battery's :thumb: and produces more than 30 times the power of the genny ?
If the idea works I will buy one but I fear I have summed it up wrong :Eeek::winky: if not I am sure mr Toyota and Honda would be very interested :thumb:
It is a bit like I cannot understand why they put a inefficient petrol engine in hybrid cars instead of a small diesel -but what do I know :Doh:
terry
edit I see I have one bit wrong on your last post you say it is not poss to charge a flat battery in five mins -sorry got crossed over in the time of writing and posting

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Chris, so to sum up (if I have it right )it is portable, small and lighter than a genny :thumb:charges a flat battery in under 5 mins :thumb: yet does not have battery's or capacitors :thumb: yet can produce power 24/7 to charge battery's :thumb: and produces more than 30 times the power of the genny ?
If the idea works I will buy one but I fear I have summed it up wrong :Eeek::winky: if not I am sure mr Toyota and Honda would be very interested :thumb:
It is a bit like I cannot understand why they put a inefficient petrol engine in hybrid cars instead of a small diesel -but what do I know :Doh:
terry
no,no,no,no,NO:ROFLMAO: it cannot charge a battery in five mins the battery would get to hot and gas, which could lead to a big bang:Eeek:
mr toyota and mr honda already have the(almost) same tecnology,as i said its nothing new.
it will suit my needs,and most inportant it's light(under 12kg).
it might need a very small battery of it own but i will find that out when testing it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i dont know if you read this but its what im sort of trying to do?:thumb:

yes, I have read it..

when I read your early posts I may have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.. perhaps you could clarify exactly what that is .. and throw in a few meaningful numbers

if I am not mistaken you are going to attempt to use a large capacitor to flash charge ...

good luck..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
never said you had a jump pack:ROFLMAO:
why would i build something that needs a battery to charge a battery:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
i would have you up and running in five mins.
when it's built i will offer a challenge you line up all the genny's as big as you can carry and see who can bring a battery up to fully charged faster without damageing the battery.
i will offer £1000 if you beat me.
only condition your mrs must be able to carry said genny in one hand.:thumb:
the unit im building my mrs could carry across a field in one hand.
mind you she is sixteen stone of pure english,could play rugby if she wanted.:thumb:

a very polite post.:Eeek:
who said anything about creating energy,i didnt, what i did say was i am building a unit that can fast charge batteries nothing more nothing less,am sorry but solar panals create power by converting sunlight.no extra-terrestrial technology there, is there????
and how about nuclear power that creates power and thats old tecnology???

let me tell you how this all started.
the wife wanted to use her hair dryer while off ehu,i do carry a 650watt genny always,but not big enough to run her hair dryer so thought i would get an inverter,and this put me at the point i am now.
how can i replenish the batteries fast enough so the inverter dont pull all the power out the batteries.
buy a big honda genny(to heavy, to dear)
put solar panels on the roof (to unreliable and for my needs underpowered)unless i cover the whole roof with them?
so i sat and thought ,what am i trying to achieve?
i am trying to fast charge my batteries,then thought how can i do this??

?????????????? thought I summed it up OK
terry

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
fast charge yes ,but not in five mins:ROFLMAO:
right let's sum it up:Smile:
a 3000watt kipor/honda turns out 8.5(i think) amps on 12v and is heavy.
the charger on the van turns out 15 amps but needs 230 volt,so run it off the genny then,i hear you say,that puts us back to a kipor/honda being to heavy.
if my batteries are flat i could plug a genny in and wait for them to charge anough so i can start the motorhome and let the alternator take over
i could, if i needed, get a jump off another camper if my batteries are flat, and run the motorhome for an hour to recharge the batteries.
but my little unit does away with all that and is light(less than 12 kg):thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is it self powered or does it need power from either a genny,s or hook up ? batts or capacitor?
terry

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Is it some sort of portable fuel cell? :whatthe:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I sneaked past Chris's garage earlier and spotted him drooling over this....

Could I have stumbled upon his answer?????

Attachments

• dynamo.jpg
    dynamo.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I sneaked past Chris's garage earlier and spotted him drooling over this....

Could I have stumbled upon his answer?????

Nice try .... but Chris has already posted on Youtube.. :Eeek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQMMu0oMnM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQMMu0oMnM[/ame]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Did you notice this was a deliberate explosion caused by reverse connection on the electrolytic.

no, missed that.. but rewatching still can't follow the polarity of the cables from the welding set .. how did you determine ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
still can't follow the polarity of the cables from the welding set .. how did you determine ?

The first second or two he zooms on - then across to cap +, then later a further view shows more of the cables but I must admit there is a tiny uncertainty because we can't see all of the cable.

That is standard failure for a revered cap, though I refuse to tell you how I know this.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The first second or two he zooms on - then across to cap +, then later a further view shows more of the cables but I must admit there is a tiny uncertainty because we can't see all of the cable.

[HI]That is standard failure for a revered cap, though I refuse to tell you how I know this.[/HI]

No worries.. when the proverbial hits the fan Chris will be along to tell us .. :roflmto:

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
I am intrigued but this post.

I await something supeb to be revealed at some stage.

This is very interesting as I have been looking at fuel cells but just cannot afford one. Sound like you may have come across something similar.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am willing to give Chris the benefit of doubt :thumb: after all he says he made one before only not as good ::bigsmile:Still cannot think which is the fastest way of charging a battery (inc out of the box) except a big charger :Smile: but these come inside a box :Doh:
terry
come on Chris put us out of our misery :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back