2 year EU trip , Balkans , France and Spain (1 Viewer)

Smue

Free Member
Oct 15, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I know it will have been done to death, but we need MH insurance that will cover for a long trip, off to Cyprus via the Balkans ( Ive ridden a bike to Istanbul so I know which countries are not covered) and breakdown long term, before anyone quotes ADAC , they don't accept new members.

Ive even though about temporary residence in Belgium and buying a vehicle there to get around the hassle with a green card

Darcar

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario
Exp
Since 1975
Getting insurance for more than 1 year will be very difficult? Especially if you don’t come back for mot & tax !
Good luck darcar.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I know it will have been done to death, but we need MH insurance that will cover for a long trip, off to Cyprus via the Balkans ( Ive ridden a bike to Istanbul so I know which countries are not covered) and breakdown long term, before anyone quotes ADAC , they don't accept new members.

Ive even though about temporary residence in Belgium and buying a vehicle there to get around the hassle with a green card
Some of the Dutch 'buyback' dealers register you/the vehicle at their premises & additionally supply full EU insurance. One i saw a couple of days back stated 100€ month.

Here's one ,others do the same.

http://www.dutchcampervans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Smue

Smue

Free Member
Oct 15, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thanks Gus, they seem to deal with cheaper vans, Bundesvan can't help so I may have to be a temporary resident in Holland till Brexit , thought id fond an insurer called Heart but they do ex pat country max value £30k.

Not easy this journey

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Have you asked ADAC if they will accept you if you live in Belgium? Others here have been implying that the problem with Brits taking membership is due to ADAC having problems the AA and UK breakdown.

Another thought. French vehicles under 3.5 tonne require an MoT only every 2 years, may help if you are away for that sort of time?

OP
OP
Smue

Smue

Free Member
Oct 15, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
it will be a new MH so shouldn't need the MOT, just spoke to comfort they do an annual policy but the green card is limited to 120 days , so stuffed for getting through Turkey , although they are ringing back. Comforts breakdown policy covers EU and non EU so Turkey so may be getting somewhere at last, rather than moving to Belgium. With EU green card is sooo much easier my German mate flew through every country of the 23 we visited, whilst we were shared every time, £300 in Turkey for two days !!!!!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
About 15 years ago we had the same experience with a German couple we met waiting on the dock for a ferry at Trapani. They and we were taking more or less identical routes driving around the Mediterranean, starting in Tunis and heading east to Iran and finishing in Germany. We met up with them about 18 months later. Their's all went to plan except Iran, we couldn't get into Libya unless we bribed the right person to issue us with visas as there was currently no diplomatic relations between the UK and Libya.
On the dock and on the ferry they talked about their paperwork and how relatively simple it had been with the help of the ADAC to get all the documents they needed for the many countries they were visiting, the AA and RAC were plain hard work trying to get help for such a journey.

As an aside, there is a small town in Tunisia near to the Libyan border, we were advised to go there to a particular café where we could 'buy' a visa. The town was like the wild west, everything was possible for a price, but at $1000 US each for a Libyan visa it was too steep for us at the time so we couldn't make the journey (not all bad as other good things happened to us in Tunisia).
For insurance we intended to buy it at each border from Libya onwards if that helps.

We did get into Libya but only for 3 or 4 hours. We drove through the border and threw ourselves on the mercy of the officials there asking for a special favour if they would consider issuing us visas. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between some very helpful border control officers and Tripoli they turned us round and returned us to Tunisia. It was a real shame as while entertaining various visitors in our motorhome while waiting for the decision we were invited to a special person's birthday party which was a week later in Tripoli...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If the new MH is fiat, you get Fiat assist breakdown for 2 years and either dealer or you can pay for a third year upgrade.

Darcar

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario
Exp
Since 1975
Buying the insurance on each boarder is an option,
although it will probably keep you legal if stopped by the authorities, it’s not going to cover you “fully comprehensive” if you smash your van, trying to claim from it would be very difficult.
Darcar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back