2 weeks travelling advice please (1 Viewer)

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi folks, :helpsos:
plans - loose plans - want to visit Ypres/Leper, then Ulster Tower, then across to visit friends near Champenoux, then heading to Chenonceaux for a Hot Air Balloon flight experience, - belated 50th birthday pressy, then back to Calais.
I realize it is possible to drive all day and see very little. But apart from the WW1 sites, visiting friends and the Balloon flight we don't mind how long it takes between these.
Although never been before we won't mind using Aires with a wee treat of a campsite for a night or two.
I've heard the toll roads speed up journey times, but can be expensive; what do they typically cost?

And there's more!!!::bigsmile:
Arriving at Birkenhead around 7pm ish, is it possible to drive - allowing for a few comfort breaks- to Dover to get an early morning ferry to Calais?
Regards, Wee John

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi John,

Try Link Removed . This will allow you to find out for each route what it will cost. Remember to take cash - not many places take cards (if any)!!

ALternatively, If you go to Mappy - Road Guide then select France, you can plan your route and it will tell you theroad toll charges too.

Papa

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Ypers cannot be done in a day and I would allow at least 3 days to allow you to visit the War Graves, battle fields, and the Menin Gate. A day at least to tour the city and you have to be there for the last post at the Menin Gate.
This is a place of high emotion and cannot be rushed. When you stand and look at the names and ages of all those young people on the gate and grave stones you cannot help but feel the deep saddness of what went on there, all those years ago.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Papa Smurf, the Mappy site is bril
Regards, Wee John:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Papa Smurf, the Mappy site is bril

Hi
Another excellent route planner is Link Removed

Not only the best routes with toll and fuel costs but you can also search camp sites en route if you go here on the site Tourism, Hotels & Restaurants

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi folks, :helpsos:
plans - loose plans - want to visit Ypres/Leper, then Ulster Tower, then across to visit friends near Champenoux, then heading to Chenonceaux for a Hot Air Balloon flight experience, - belated 50th birthday pressy, then back to Calais.
I realize it is possible to drive all day and see very little. But apart from the WW1 sites, visiting friends and the Balloon flight we don't mind how long it takes between these.
Although never been before we won't mind using Aires with a wee treat of a campsite for a night or two.
I've heard the toll roads speed up journey times, but can be expensive; what do they typically cost?

And there's more!!!::bigsmile:
Arriving at Birkenhead around 7pm ish, is it possible to drive - allowing for a few comfort breaks- to Dover to get an early morning ferry to Calais?
Regards, Wee John

Hi John

I live in Birkenhead. We have done Birkenhead to Portsmouth in about 5 hours. Thats with a break and taking it easy (55-60) mph on the motorway. At that time of the evening the traffic will be down and so you should be ok.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi There, apxc15,
Yip we realize that it will be very emotional , when we attend and watch Remembrance Day services we see "old men" and can very easily overlook the fact that many who were slaughtered were only boys -like our own son of 17. We are particulary interested in Passchendale as our son did a rendrition of a wlifred Owne poem at a Remembrance festival in full WW1 battledress. And then on to the Ulster Tower to remember the many valiant young men of the Ulster Division.
Can you recommend any aires/campsites in either area?
We are reckoning on Sat. to Thursday to cover these places of interest.
I have mobility difficulties and can experience extreme fatigue due to mishap in surgery a few years ago, so can't pack too much into each day.

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
speedy or not

Hi madbluemad,
Thanks, just not too sure about this long drive to Calais all in one go even with a few breaks, but as you say in the evening traffic should be a lot lighter. I am not comfortable at knockin on at speeds closer to 70 as some do. 55 -60 is much less stressful and a few mpg more too.
regards

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
John
If you need any help in finding your way quickly from the ferry port in birkenhead to the motorway, give me a shout and will meet you and lead you through.

Jim :Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi WeeJohn

Have you considered using the Transeuropa ferry from Ramsgate to Ostend. Thier fares are usually quite competetive. It is a 4 hour crossing, so it gives you a good break from sitting behind the wheel.
Ostend to Ypres is about 30 miles whereas the drive up from Calais is about 60

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Brisey, just checked this crowd, but sailing dates, times no good.
Regards::bigsmile: now going to try your other idea!

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Madbluemad,
THanks for the offer, we plan to travel towards the end of June, I like to have plans - even rough ones, firmly planted in the grey cells well in advance!
Although there are officially 3 of us travelling, we take along Sally for guidance. (Sally is our Sat Nav) although like most women she isn't right all the time! was forced to say that!
We would be interested in finding out if there is somewhere suitable and quite handy to the ferry at Birkenhead to stay for the night on our way home, - night of 4th July?
Thanks again.
This is a fantastic site and have recommended it to other homers I know.
Regards, Wee John::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi John
There are only two camp sites that are very local to Birkenhead however the access is limited. How wide and long is rv and I will have a root around.

You could stop on the service area on the M56, its quiet and its an area that I would trust.

Let me now regards the size of your rv.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Size Matters

Hi Jim,
Not RV, sorry yankie lovers, hope that term was't a "Harry".
RV just toooooo big for day trip use on our twisty roads.
Home is a Dethleffs at exactly 7 meters length and width listed as being 2.35 m
Don't know why we can't use feet n inches, much easier to understand!
Regards, Wee John:thanks2:

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Try these John, The Wirral Contry Park is the biggest. Link Removed