Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
We are looking to travel as above . Thought at the moment are Northern Germany ( Northern France we have been to so are looking for a change ) Cities such as Cologne spring out .
Any help with general information about parking and other worthy places to visit would be greatly appreciated . R

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Cologne is good we were there last week. Try and visit on a weekend its a
big busy town, try and park near the railway station, its petty central.
I would recommend Monchau - Cochem and Bernkastel Kues on the Mosel. Boppard and Rudesheim on the Rhine. There are many Camperplatz, although it is common to have to pay maybe 10 Euro, we always find free overnight parking.
Also recommended is Ypres in Belgium for the 8.00 0clock service at the Menin Gate, easy free overnight parking.
What kind of thing do you like to do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
I don't know how far north you are heading but in northern Germany at that time of year 1st take Cilfan's advice and 2nd take snowchains - you will probably need them.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Cologne has a camper stop in the city centre with power on meter . the City is walkable from there, but Coblenz was better for us. The Knaus Campsite has a Stellplatz attached, the City is lovely and you can meander down the Mosel from there. It will be cold in December.

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Thanks for all the responses . I am looking into Snow and mud tyres .The expense of the tyres will be an issue . The Wife an I are interested in architectural history / Industrial History . The walks around the ww1 front lines are also of interest . Shopping is low on the list . Cold is not an issue though warmth is always nice! The only other consideration is we are 9m long and weigh 7.5 tonnes

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
This is the itinerary we used last Christmas covers South West Germany could be combined with Cologne also.

Saturday December 26th - Groombridge to Han Sur Less
Overnight Han Sur Lesse -
Han-sur-Lesse welcome you

Sunday December 27th - Han Sur Less to Baden-Baden
Visit Grotto Hans sur Lesse
Baden-Baden Christmas Market

Monday December 28th - Baden-Baden, Overnight Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden Christmas Market

Tuesday December 29th - Baden-Colmar via Gertwiller
Obernai
House of Gingerbread in Gertwiller
Chateau Haut-Koenigsbourg

Wednesday December 30th - Colmar
Visit Colmar

Thursday December 31st - Colmar
Day Trip to Basel

Friday January 1st - Colmar to Strasbourg, Overnight Kehl

Visit Strasbourg

Saturday January 2nd - Kehl to Han Sur Less/Namur/Luxembourg

Sunday January 3rd - Han Sur Less/Namur/Luxembourg to Gravelines/Wissant

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Thank All . We have the ww1 book and will be in the itinerary Beginning to get excited by the prospect .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have you got your Umvelt? Worth getting one if going into Germany just in case. If you already got, fine. If not then loads on here to tell you how to get.

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Thanks EX51SSS Hadn't taken on board the emission zones . Our old girl was about before emissions where an issue . All zones are no go for us

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You can get to the stellplatz in Cologne avoiding the umweltzone - route from north I believe.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks EX51SSS Hadn't taken on board the emission zones . Our old girl was about before emissions where an issue . All zones are no go for us
At least you know the heads up now. Close call but I think you'd have found out soon by the guys and girls on here.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Personally I do not think you need to worry about an umwelt zone sticker, most german towns that have them have routes in and out that are umwelt free zones and the stellplatzes etc tend to not be right in the city centre anyway even Cologne you can get in and out no problem. It's not a blanket zone per town/city and does not appear everywhere.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I was once told by the wife of a German police officer that they had better things to do than check/chase unweltzone breakers.
Might be different if you had an "incident" mind.

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Bit belated I know but we had a fantastic time touring around the Arden Forrest and Moselle valley over Christmas .
We went with the forecast trying to avoid rain as much as possible which apart from 1 morning was achieved . The down side is stying in the high pressure areas which are known for fog and low temperatures necessitating a late starts and hope that the sun would burn off the mist . Again apart from the Moselle Valley all was good .
Christmas day was spent on a wonderful Airs Nice and flat with hookup ( Needed for the electric oven ) Only down side was the loo's shut for the season .
9 other couples on site all celebrating nice an quietly . I was surprised so may of us where about in the cold of winter .
IMG_5156.JPG

Our return was just after the new year so I thought a nice quite Airs in the middle of nowhere would be appropriate for new years eve
I know we where only 30km fro the old WW1 front line but the din at 00:00 and for the next hour suggested time travel back to the great war.

The trip had a couple of niggles
1: A blow out on the M3 en route for the tunnel . Trying to convince ATS, I had a spare tire and no it wasn't on a wheel . Just the tire and I needed it fitting . No I haven't a puncture It is a hole the size of you fist . No you don't need to send out a tire so asking for sizes and speed rating is irrelevant. I don't care what you computer says . If you have to fill it in make up some numbers Just send a van!!!!
2 and this was the easy one . Why is it when it gets to -10 C the diesel night heater decides that it will take sympathy action with Souther Rail staff and refuse to work . The gas heaters weren't quite up to keeping the living space up to temperature so and early night was the only option . At least it help getting an early start sorting out the diesel heater . A bit Heath Robinson with the wiring and it fired up again . ( Once home I found a break in the control wire 10' down the loom )
Would we go away over Christmas again Defiantly but I would put a cool box in the garage so we could have a proper turkey rather than just turkey breasts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back