2 weeks in to our very first winter tour... (1 Viewer)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Morning fellow funsters, I'd like to share with you some thoughts and observations on our first MH tour so far....
1. Whoever invented microfibre towels should be knighted with immediate effect
2. Ditto the inventor of the double skillet
3. If (when) you lose all internal habitation power whilst in a Spain, find a local garage and say "POOF" loudly whilst looking surprised and clapping your hands together. Spanish mechanics understand this to mean "blown fuse".
4. The natural division of labour between a couple in a MH means that one person's job will always involve poo (emptying the loo and clearing up after the dog)
5. Size isn't everything. It's surprising how little you need in terms of room and stuff to still live comfortably
6. Too much driving and not enough stops makes Jill a dull (and grumpy) girl
7. The rain in Spain falls mainly on.....me.
8. Wine and chocolate are universal panaceas for everything

What were your first experiences of touring? Did you have any disasters and how did you overcome them? We've surprised ourselves so far with our resourcefulness and looking forward to more adventures.
Happy holidays everyone

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We learned very quickly always keep a good supply of wine and beer in the garage and you don't have to keep moving everyday you have to chill and enjoy the trip its not a 2 week holiday.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Before we took up motorhoming properly we were supplied with one, on hire, following an accident in our Caravan. The CC Red Pennant Insurance provided it so we could complete our holiday. When we collected it from the dealer they were still removing the plastic covers from the seats and there were only 8 miles on the clock.

During the second week I opened one of the three overhead cupboards on the off-side and the whole cupboard front, including the three doors came away in my hand.:xeek:

A quick trip to Mr Bricolage gave me a supply of "Conti-joints" (other makes are available) which I used to secure the frontage in place.

On returning the vehicle I showed the hire company what had happened. They apologised and said my repair was stronger than the original fittings. I told them I had found that out the hard way!x:-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
When you hurriedly buy the cheapest hose pipe to fill your fresh water tank on you first outing.
Check and make sure it isn't an irrigation hose first....nonchalantly connecting to water supply on the first camp site and washing everyone else's motorhome can be quite embarrassing :xdoh:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Barsteward you arnt the only one, i must be your twin
i did exactly the same in 1971 on an C& C site that at that time didn't accept motorhomes in Scotland,
we had crept on late at night and just wanted to put some water in the tank for our ongoing travels,
very red faced and you have never seen a hose rolled up so quickly,
we left the site sharpish as you like!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Every trip we do there will be some minor disaster, like leaving the dogs tick treatment behind,sat nat throwing a wobbly and having to reverse half a mile to turn around but that's all part of the experience and you always get over it somehow.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Localdave

Free Member
Dec 6, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 400RL
Exp
Since 2016
Whilst in France on first trip looked in mirror to see loo door swing open!!!!!!
On Aires this year in Spain habitation door locked it self with keys in side, spare in wife's hand bag and yes thls was also inside!!! Wife outside with me!!!!!
And the best for last stopped in Calais, left in morning to go along coast with 3 days left got about 20 miles outside Calais and heard loud banging from behind and then yelling!!!! Yep had a new traveller under motor home!!!!

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Yes did the same. I don't know what the people in the caravan parked in front of the hook up bollard thought as the cable flew out, I was 25 meters away:)

I was driving away from the pitch and then noticed this woman running along side the mh banging on the window, ooooooops in my case the plug stayed in and the cable broke

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Never unplug some one else's electric cable . instead of mine. Very mad man said some rude words to me.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I shouted very loudly as I saw a MH start moving with the cable attached. He then stopped and reversed back up his ramps. When I saw him move again still connected I didn't bother shouting I just stood and watched as he drove off down the site with the cable attached to his MH.

Our tip is to start looking early for an Aire just in case you don't like the first one you find. As SWMBO says it's like internet dating there is always a better one round the corner.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Just like being on an aeroplane , check your overhead lockers before opening! . First night of trip with friends round for drink . Opened cupboard and first aid kit fell on his head and cut it. Assaulted by first aid box !
Still bears the scars 12 months later

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Never put bottles of red wine on your bed during transit, no matter how well wrapped and protected you think they are:xdoh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back