2 week road trip with 2 small kids (1 Viewer)

Gaz88

Free Member
Feb 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello all,

I was looking for some advice and help regarding planning a 2 week trip with kids.

My wife is desperate to do a 2 week road trip from Surrey where she wants to visit France, Switzerland and Italy. While I love the thought of being on the road visiting these countries, we have 2 small children of 5 & 3. My first thought was hiring a Motorhome while having the freedom of stopping off anywhere, but I’m having concerns of how stressful it would be with having the four of us in such a tight conditions for 2 weeks.

Other option would be, just hiring a normal vehicle then staying a different locations for 3-4 nights then moving on again.

Our normal holidays have been booking 10 nights in one location and staying there, so we have never experienced anything like this before. Has anyone else been in the same boat?

Cheers,
Gaz

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We had 2 small kids and 2 grandparents with us for 3 weeks in Canada and it really wasn’t an issue and the kids loved the “adventure” . Looking back (it was 20+ years ago) that was the first time I’d ever driven a MH with out any issues but the roads are of course bigger .

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
When we first started motor homing our kids were 1, 3 and 9. our first trip was to Lake Garda and the kids loved the adventure, as did we. From then on we went to Brittany in France and then Spain.
We did start with a caravan but prefer the Motor home for the added freedom and versatility it brings.
We still travel abroad every year and I actually miss having the kids with us. The middle child and her boyfriend do fly over and join us if we plan on stopping in one place for a week or more which we do some years.
I would totally recommend doing it, you wont regret it and your kids will love it and hopefully catch the travel bug has ours have.
My only advise would be, to not be to adventurous in how far you go on the first trip, don't travel for to long each day so that you get plenty of family time on different sites as you travel and allow a few days in one spot now and then to chill out and enjoy the experience.
My kids are now 21, 23 and 29 and still talk about our many adventures in a motor home. My wife and I are still travelling all over Europe and love every trip.
Just go for it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You will be absolutely fine.

Our daughter was 4 when we started and she loved the adventure.

Just go for it(y)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I agree ... go for it. Try not to spend too long driving ... and perhaps don’t move on every day. Choose stops with whatever the kids love ... water (could be a river rather than a water park), ice creams etc.
Why not stick to France?

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Agree with all the above.

When we had grandkids last two years we booked onto family friendly holiday parks (Biarritz and Deauville) for a few days, they loved every minute and so did we.

Nov 11, 2019
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Hymer tsl708
Exp
A while now
We explored most of Europe with 5 children, 2-3 weeks every summer in a caravan, amazing adventures and memories. However I have to agree re distances, keep them short and stay as long as the family are enjoying it. Children remember the experiences not the scenery in our experience. Enjoy it, they were our happiest holidays.

OP
OP
G

Gaz88

Free Member
Feb 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Wonderful replies. You have all made the wife happy now ??. This trip will be for sometime later in the year, so we have plenty of time to plan.

The next step is rentals.. Any recommendations?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
far too much driving visiting three countries, with 2 children find one area and explore that you dont say when but mix beach and city if it warm

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Wonderful adventure but I would never consider touring through France, Switz, to Italy and back in two weeks, especially with two wrigglers. Definitely be too much time on the road, plus you won't see much of the countries other than through the windows.
Obviously, you don't intend going during school hols.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wonderful replies. You have all made the wife happy now ??. This trip will be for sometime later in the year, so we have plenty of time to plan.

The next step is rentals.. Any recommendations?

I wouldn’t rent for a two week break - too expensive.

If you have to rent for a weekend

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would be worth looking at hiring a motorhome in France. A Google throws up several companies who speak English. You could go across in the car with your luggage and hopefully leave it at the hire place while you tour.
Downside will be cost if it is in the French holiday period.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you dont own a motorhome and are looking at renting then costs become relatively high.
Then you might want to look at how much milage youre allowed to do or even if youre allowed abroad in it.
Different companies different costs.
I would be more tempted to rent a cottage for a week in 2 different places and have the car to travel from there.
Daughter just got 10 days in Tuscany at a really decent campsite (one of the huge ones with 5 swimming pools) including flights for 4 and hire of a motorcar (Ok a Panda) for just over 400 pounds (grand total not pp) by using "The Sun".
Easyjet flights were 180 return, car hire was a tenner a day, and I dont know exactly but the rental took over just over the 400 mark. She has to pay a fine to the school for taking the eldest out of school for that period as well.

I just think thats better value for money for doing that with young kids.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back