2 questions - solar controller fuse & wiring (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Inherited with our new to us MH a Steca Solsum 6.6 X solar charge controller.

Found a half an hour today to examine the setup which is in working order and came up with 2 items in the system that are questionable, and although spent a while looking can't find any operating instructions for this exact model.

The first is the wiring between the charge controller and leisure battery is around 5.5m long, and it's 1.5 mm2 in area .
I know this is too small a diameter for the potential 4.5 A output not to lose something between the controller and battery, but by how much would that be?
I guess that as the return earth cable is the same length and diameter, the loss is doubled?

Second part I don't know is wrong, but don't understand it. There is a short glass fuse fitted at the front of the controller, it's an electronics or household type with the value of 10A at 250V. Is this right for a 12/24V DC controller?

Thanks

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I did see this page Andy but didn't think it was exactly the same model, but I could be wrong.

I also read the fuse ratings but then was puzzled as to why the fuse value was 10A at 250V and not a normal automotive ( 12V ) fuse.

Re the cable size I was wondering just how much too small the cable is.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fuse is fine its barely one strand of the wire its protecting.
I only use 4mm minimum and not just any cable it has to be solar low loss tinned copper. I have 6mm from my regulator to my batteries but I have 200 watts and I got the cable at a BARGAIN price

That page is a user manual download for all of that model and there is a data sheet download on that page too

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
10a/12v glass fuses are hard to come by i believe but as N/R said...10a is 10a.

i would also agree wire size should be at least 4mmsq

4.5amp over 5.5mtr x 1.5mmsq cable will give you around 8 to 10% power loss

4mmsq will be 3% loss

10mmsq will be 1% loss

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread