2 batteries, no solar, no b2b, 1 battery monitor (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
An update for those that may be interested (@Lenny HB @Langtoftlad @Waveski @Neckender @Minxy Girl ) and a few others......

Having been on tour now for 18 days I thought I would post my experiences with my set up.

I added the extra battery so now 2 x 95 AGM (sorry Lenny:rolleyes:) then fitted a NASA BM-1 Bluetooth (no panel display)

The van has electric fridge and this is the prime user of electricity. It generally runs for between 10 to 20 mins total time per hour @2.7a

Starting with fully charged batteries it would appear that we can sit for 3 nights before monitor shows 12.5v. If we drive every day for about an hour or so (we usually do) and only stop for one night the batteries are quite well charged by the time we get to the next Aire.

The alternator charges at around 33ah if the batteries are around 65 to 70% and around 20 to 25ah If above 75% then as they charge the rate reduces to around 10 ah for the last 85 to 90% or more.

These figures are not exact and quite honestly I think the NASA software is a little optimistic on battery percentage but is accurate on battery volts.

What has surprised me is that the alternator gives such a good output (I had worried that it might be too smart).

I have found that a 3 hour journey will virtually fully charge to a resting voltage of 13v and 100% State of charge

So, bottom line? For the way we travel we are fine with this arrangement and have saved the need and expense of fitting solar or b2b (y)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
That sounds great Grahame, but we needed our 200 watt of solar as I use a CPAP machine off 12 volt as well as compressor fridge. I just managed 3 nights at the Lincoln show and I was down to 12.4 volts with the lack of sunshine.

John.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What worried me about alternator charging without B to B was that I did not trust the alternator to provide the right charging profile/voltages to look after my battery properly, not just a matter of amps. The other factor was my Mercedes smart alternator which did seem to drop out before the leisure battery was full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
An update for those that may be interested (@Lenny HB @Langtoftlad @Waveski @Neckender @Minxy Girl ) and a few others......

Having been on tour now for 18 days I thought I would post my experiences with my set up.

I added the extra battery so now 2 x 95 AGM (sorry Lenny:rolleyes:) then fitted a NASA BM-1 Bluetooth (no panel display)

The van has electric fridge and this is the prime user of electricity. It generally runs for between 10 to 20 mins total time per hour @2.7a

Starting with fully charged batteries it would appear that we can sit for 3 nights before monitor shows 12.5v. If we drive every day for about an hour or so (we usually do) and only stop for one night the batteries are quite well charged by the time we get to the next Aire.

The alternator charges at around 33ah if the batteries are around 65 to 70% and around 20 to 25ah If above 75% then as they charge the rate reduces to around 10 ah for the last 85 to 90% or more.

These figures are not exact and quite honestly I think the NASA software is a little optimistic on battery percentage but is accurate on battery volts.

What has surprised me is that the alternator gives such a good output (I had worried that it might be too smart).

I have found that a 3 hour journey will virtually fully charge to a resting voltage of 13v and 100% State of charge

So, bottom line? For the way we travel we are fine with this arrangement and have saved the need and expense fof fitting solar or b2b (y)
For what the cost is and ease of fitting surely a solar panel would be a good investment then according to your figures you would be almost self sufficient without having to move.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
For what the cost is and ease of fitting surely a solar panel would be a good investment then according to your figures you would be almost self sufficient without having to move.

Having pretty much lived in vans of all types for around 10 years I haven’t yet bothered to fit any solar to the HYMER PIG, as our experience has been that we are actually nearly always ok for power even without any solar in summer and the few months we really need the power, solar has been next to useless.
Carry the generator as a back up along with a Ring pro 50 amp smart charger .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back