2.3 Auto Ducato (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a 2016 with 150hp and it pulls well and also with Kia Rio on tow.
I prefer a proper auto box which is much smoother , the Fiat auto at times hesitates , not as smooth but ok once used to it (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We are on our first overseas trip in an X290 130hp Ducato with comfortmatic - it's a 6.4 m xlwb pvc, 3,500 kg.

Loving it! Yes, the gearbox takes a little getting used to, but so relaxing to drive compared to the manual gearboxes we've had in previous vans. Just occasionally it gets confused, but absolutely no regrets at this stage.

The engine is a euro 5+, whereas previously we had a euro 4. I have wondered if on relatively long steep motorway inclines 5th has been necessary on this van, when 6th would have been fine on the old van. However, it may just be that the engine is so new (only just ticked over 1k miles), that it needs to loosen up a bit. It might that we are travelling a little more heavily loaded, or it may just have been headwinds. Whatever, I don't think it's anything to do with the comfortmatic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Box is poor for slow speed manoeuvering, especially on a slope, but otherwise great. Personally, I prefer it to the manual overall. Very relaxing in normal driving. I have the 150hp in a 3500kg PVC.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The 2.3 litre Iveco engine is a good unit, mine has done 210,000 miles (yes two hundred and ten thousand) and is still going strong. I don't have the Comfortmatic box but I have driven plenty and on the open road it is superb, low speed manouvering isn't so great as has been said but overall if I were in the market for a new van I'd tick the auto option.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back