R1C 4RD

Free Member
May 11, 2016
Hamilton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hi folks, just put a deposit on our 1st motorhome after ascending through the ranks via a tent, trailer tent and caravan. It's a relatively new van and from posts I've read it seems that an alarm may be an essential- why didn't it come with one? Seems mad. Anyway- what else do I need? Looking for any tips you have- what would you do differently if you were just starting out? Looking forward to your replies
Thanks

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:hiya2:

We came along the same upgrade route as you Motorhome has been the best by far. Not all insurers demand an alarm but we got one through vanbitz.

You could use most of your caravan bits for your motorhome. After you have used it for a bit you will know what you need. Maybe leveling ramps if you didnt have them with your caravan.

What motorhome did you buy :)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
You've now arrived at the premier league of camping. We had caravans for years & never thought we'd change but we finally bit the bullet & just love the pure freedom that a motorhome gives.

OP
OP
R1C 4RD

R1C 4RD

Free Member
May 11, 2016
Hamilton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
:hiya2:

We came along the same upgrade route as you Motorhome has been the best by far. Not all insurers demand an alarm but we got one through vanbitz.

You could use most of your caravan bits for your motorhome. After you have used it for a bit you will know what you need. Maybe leveling ramps if you didnt have them with your caravan.

What motorhome did you buy :)
We've gone for a roller team zefiro with fixed bunks- difficult choice- so many variations!!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome! May you have lots of fun with your new toy.

If it doesn’t have an alarm, that suggests that one is not essential. Insurers tend to require an alarm to be fitted if the market value exceeds £50k. I’d spend my spare cash on something other than an alarm unless I had to and you only need enough to satisfy the insurers unless you feel at risk. Your van will already have an immobiliser.

Don’t rush to buy extras. Spend the money on your adventures instead. Having been a camper, you will already know what you can get away with so carry on in that vein and wait for experience to tell you what extras are really needed.

OP
OP
R1C 4RD

R1C 4RD

Free Member
May 11, 2016
Hamilton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Welcome! May you have lots of fun with your new toy.

If it doesn’t have an alarm, that suggests that one is not essential. Insurers tend to require an alarm to be fitted if the market value exceeds £50k. I’d spend my spare cash on something other than an alarm unless I had to and you only need enough to satisfy the insurers unless you feel at risk. Your van will already have an immobiliser.

Don’t rush to buy extras. Spend the money on your adventures instead. Having been a camper, you will already know what you can get away with so carry on in that vein and wait for experience to tell you what extras are really needed.
I like the sound of that. Ok- what about awnings? Less space in this than my caravan but it doesn't have an awning or rail fitted- any advice?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m not bothering with an awning on my next m/h because I’ve rarely used the ones I’ve had before and they’re quite heavy. Before you go wild and add loads of extras in your excitement, I’d suggest that you temper your enthusiasm and buy only what’s really needed in the light of your own experiences. You will become aware of payload – the amount of spare capacity for your personal stuff. Payload is limited and best ‘spent’ on the items that are important to you. Only you can decide that, once you tried it a bit.

When you go somewhere that might require shade, you can always take a garden umbrella with you (with water-filled base). Then leave it behind and save weight during the seasons when it won’t be used.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Awnings on motorhomes can be a nuisance since you can't nip off to the supermarket to restock, without dismantling it or at least rolling it in if it's a roll-out one.

If you know you are going to be on one place for X amount of time, and not want or need to move, then fine. However if you need to empty your 'grey' water tank - then you will have to move to drive to the drive over drain probably! Or use a bucket repeatedly. (Unless of course you have kept your Waste hog and you use that.)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
On our new motorhome we took the decision not to have any awning. We had a roll out sun shade on our ladt one and used it rareley. So bought a tiltable umberella for £23 :). We are having an alarm and reversing camera fitted though.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Extra Hab battery if your kids are into there electronics :D:D:D:D, and getting the weight limit re-plated by V-tec if you licence will allow.

PS welcome

OP
OP
R1C 4RD

R1C 4RD

Free Member
May 11, 2016
Hamilton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Extra Hab battery if your kids are into there electronics :D:D:D:D, and getting the weight limit re-plated by V-tec if you licence will allow.

PS welcome
Ah that's not an option- I'm a young thing you see- post 1997 licence so 3.5 max or it's a c licence test for me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back