Markb20

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
Total newbie
Hi all picking up 1st Motorhome on Friday and my 1st silly question Do I need to take a hose pipe for water or a container with a spout for filling up when I go on my first trip
Also could someone please explain what a Motorhome service point is thanks in advance

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:welco:Generally it will depend on how you fill your tank. Some have an external pump you plug in and suck the water up from a container like caravans and the mahority you have just a fill point where you will need to top you internal tank with. Majority carry hoses of various lengths - many threads on here if you use the "search" feature. Some use watering cans. Depends on how you use the MH. "Motorhome Service Point" is an area where you ditch your waste water, Toilet cassette and fill up all in one place. If a campsite has a service point, it means that they have an area specifically for MH to fill and dump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
Hi Markb20 and welcome!

We use an expandable hose pipe which grows to 3 times its length when water runs though it and shrinks back to a nice compact size when empty...don’t forget to buy some attachments if not included with your hose. We carry a watering can too which is handy for topping up without needing to move the moho to the water source. I would advise that you buy a bucket too for emptying the grey water if there’s no drive-over drain. When we first got our motorhome we made a list of bits we found we needed to buy for the next time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Markb20

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks for the advice hose/ bucket and watering can on the shopping list

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent. They might already be in one of the lockers

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I carry both hoses and a watering can to fill up with fresh water.

A motorhome service point is somewhere that has the facilities to allow you fill up with fresh water and dump your grey water (waste from basin sink and shower) and black water (from your toilet). They vary in type, ease of use and cleanliness. Found on many campsites in the UK, and on most Aires and other motorhome stops in Europe.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
Great question, and one I asked myself before our very first outing in our Motorhome last weekend. I bought a flexible hose and a collapsible watering can and used both! I filled up the water tank at the service point before heading for a pitch. Then while we were on site I topped up the water a couple of times using the watering can, although when I emptied out the water at the end the top ups may not have been necessary. We take bottled water for drinking.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For the UK (you won't be going to Europe anytime soon :() a Hozelock set incorporating a screw on tap connector and a length of hose is probably all you need if you are planning to use sites. Try and find a hose designed for drinking water, such as the flat hoses on a reel sold by ship chandlers and some motorhome accessory supplier. Be very careful of green garden hose as they can make the water taste foul if you pick the wrong one.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As DBK says use a food grade hose not garden hose and try not to let water sit in it after you’ve used it.
You may find to start with a watering can might not be used but a bucket is always useful!
It will depend on your van, some have a loo flushing tank so a watering can would be good.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Also could someone please explain what a Motorhome service point is thanks in advance
If you really are new to this, there's more you need to know. Motorhomes have built-in fresh and waste water tanks. You drive onto the service point and carefully position MH so that the grey waste outlet is over the grey waste grid. Then you open the grey waste tap. While it is emptying, there is a tap to fill up with fresh water. I have a 3m hose with hozelock push fittings, and a second 3m hose to extend it if the tap is on the wrong side of the MH. Others use a watering can or two.

Some water taps at service points on Aires have coin-operated timers, so a hose is better than watering can for them.

On camp sites, the service point is usually near a toilet block, where you can empty your toilet cassette (in the 'Chemical Toilet' point). On Aires, the toilet emptying point is usually a hole in the 'Bourne' - the multipurpose fresh water/black water/electricity pillar at the service point. Use the special tap for rinsing the toilet cassette, don't use the fresh water tap for this.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Typical service point in France

download.jpg

Upvote 0

ValkyrIe

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Is there an easy way to find service points in the UK? Just wondering what people do if they're wild camping in a motorhome.

Upvote 0

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
Is there an easy way to find service points in the UK? Just wondering what people do if they're wild camping in a motorhome.
Hi ValkyrIe.....you could download apps like Park4Night which will list some service points other than this I understand from other conversations on here that you can use the services at CAMC or CCC sites for a small charge.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back