Uncle Bob

Free Member
Nov 12, 2013
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Okay, I'm about to finalise a deal on a 89 fiat swift kon-tiki 6 berth diesel with 85k on the clock... Nice looking van but do all these vehicles have rusty wings, inner wings, windscreen scuttles? This one is better than most but still has a bit on the inner....
The van is very clean but obviously 'lived in', a couple of soft spots in the flooring that apparently have been 'repaired' but apart from a few scuffs everything works, it starts on the button and although very slow chugs along merrily without a fuss. My 1st question would be is the £6.5k asking price about right? Is there anything I should be looking out for on these vehicles? Any advice is thankfully received :) cheers Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think £6.5K is at the upper end of the right ball park.

But as with most things the value is in the eye of the beholder.

Not sure what you meant about soft spots but if it is what I think you mean I would get that checked out. If it is rot caused by damp you need to find out how far it goes before parting with any of your readies.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Totally agree with gromett I'd get the floor checked first as could be a costly repair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob

Free Member
Nov 12, 2013
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ok.....

Right, what's the most likely cause of the soft floor? It doesn't feel or smell damp in the van and apparently it has been repaired before so could now be ok but it's left it with a couple of points (straight in from side door and in the centre of the mid dinette) that creaks and feels 'bouncy' underfoot.... Is it likely to have been a 'split' under the flooring or moisture ie. spillage/ door being left open that has been the cause? If the worst comes to the worst what will the cost be to replace? We quite like the van and I'm not shy at DIY as I do maintenance for a large hotel chain but I don't want to buy a 'pup' cheers for the heads up, Bob

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with a van of that age, floor delamination is normal, but if it feels soft may well be water ingress. delamination is when the layers of ply and insulation seperate due to glue failing, fixing is relatively easy and cheap. damp or water ingress will need replacing and would cost more than the van is worth

kontiki vans of that vintage were given the name "leaky kontiki" for a good reason, they were highly prone to leaks

rust on such an old vehicle is inevitable but replacement parts like the windscreen frame and scuttle are very hard to source indeed.

as for value, I believe that £6500 would buy a van built in mid 90s, its worth more like £4500 - £5000 for a good one needing no work. Its a buyers market right now as theres more for sale than people buying. personally i would look at a newer van or at least one without well documented problems

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The Talbot base vehicles rust away before your eyes. I would avoid at all costs.

If you've got possible damp in the hab section, I would be running away very fast.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back