1999 Ducato 2.8 jtd gearbox (1 Viewer)

DavidUK

Free Member
Aug 14, 2018
Funster No
Hi all, wish I was joining under better circumstances, but feeling rather deflated.

We have a Hymer, driving home at the weekend, dropped down from 5th to 4th gear, and it made a strange tone, tried third, similar, like a bit more 'grindy/noisy than usual'. So went back up to 5th and it seemed ok. Managed a couple more miles in 5th, then needed a lower gear, so back to 4th, same noise, then some clunking noises. :/ Tried 3rd, same thing and clunky, so pulled over. Had it towed home.

Trying to sort out what to do now, diagnosis isn't totally clear yet, sounds like the gearbox has got a problem though! It also seems like they don't make the gear/parts for these anymore. I suspect I'll need to find a refurbished one, has anyone else managed to locate one? Or any other ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sorry to hear of the gearbox problem, you dont say where you are , are you back home or in the middle of the trip?
Mike

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm sure the 2.8jtd didn't come into production until 2000.

1999 should be the 2.8 idTd and a different gearbox.
John is almost correct except the jtd came in 2001.
Not that it makes any difference to your gearbox problem.
D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Regardless of being IdTi or jtd, it should be a straightforward repair.
@DavidUK where are you located, as it will help members suggest recommended repairers?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It'll make a difference to getting a gearbox or parts though Dave.
If the o/p is looking for a JTD box or part and it's actually fitted with an earlier one.
I'm fairly sure that the early jtd engines were mated to exactly the same box as the previous idtd lumps. In fact the jtd was simply the idtd with electronically controlled common rail injection.

D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I'm fairly sure that the early jtd engines were mated to exactly the same box as the previous idtd lumps. In fact the jtd was simply the idtd with electronically controlled common rail injection.

D.

Makes sense. They only made the idtd for a couple of years before the jtd came out. Fiat would hardly throw away the idtd gearboxes they had in stock and would use up any they had left over.

OP
OP
D

DavidUK

Free Member
Aug 14, 2018
Funster No
Sorry to hear of the gearbox problem, you dont say where you are , are you back home or in the middle of the trip?
Mike

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

We got recovered home, to Nottingham.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Glad that the worst may be over and you can take your time to sort out the repair.
Let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Parts are still about but pricey as new old stock.. The description suggests the 4th synchromesh gear has failed or its bearing collapsed. Should be repairable without a total rebuild

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back