1998 Starfire fridge installation (1 Viewer)

avhation

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Funster No
I am surprised to find that when I switch on the Electrolux fridge (RM4201 I think) to 12v, it is powered directly from the leisure battery, such that when the engine is not running the battery is quickly discharged. Does anyone know if this is by (poor) design, or does it mean that a relay is not working? If the latter, any ideas as to where the relay might be located on the vehicle (Boxer)? On another matter, the fridge appears to be ventilated only through one vent panel whereas caravans I have owned have always had two, as stated in the manual. Could this explain the poor cooling performances on both gas and mains electricity? Has anyone tried to improve the performance by adding a lower vent panel?

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi

I am sure there is a fault, some manufacturers switched the relay when the ignition was switched on so it was possible for the fridge to run on 12v without the engine running but the ignition would need to be on, so it is likely that the relay has stuck on.

Normally the relay would be under the bonnet, next to the main battery will be some wires which will lead to three fuses and a couple of relays.

There should be a vent under the fridge through the floor so cool air is drawn up then hot air dispells out the top, you may find that the lower vent is quite small and that you don't get good flow like you do with two side vents, you could fit a fan to the top vent to increase air flow these are quite cheap and fairly effective

nick :Cool:

OP
OP
A

avhation

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Funster No
Thank you. I have fitted a computer fan which has definitely imroved the performance on both gas and 12v.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back