1996 fiat ducato 2.5 Tdi cat oil leak (1 Viewer)

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
I have a well used 150,000 miles Fiat ducato 2,5 Tdi cat 1996 with a small slow oil leak, it appears to come from behind and high up by a sheet metal plate between the engine block and clutch housing and drips out along it and mainly from the bottom making a mess underneath especially when driving,then basically stopping after engine is off. The problem has been going for a year/3000 miles gradually getting worse, any ideas gratefully received.:Sad:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Can't figure out where it is from your description but it could be the rear crank seal. They generally leak when the engine is running
Is your clutch ok? A leak on the rear seal can get thrown about and end up on the clutch plate
Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the gearbox end of the cam cover gasket if it's high up.

Can't remember off hand but I think the brake vacuum pump is driven off the end of the camshaft, if it is the the oil seal may be leaking.
Not a difficult job to replace the seal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
Can't figure out where it is from your description but it could be the rear crank seal. They generally leak when the engine is running
Is your clutch ok? A leak on the rear seal can get thrown about and end up on the clutch plate
Allan

Clutch seems fine, your idea seems ok but major job to fix I would think?

OP
OP
W

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
sounds like the gearbox end of the cam cover gasket if it's high up.

Can't remember off hand but I think the brake vacuum pump is driven off the end of the camshaft, if it is the the oil seal may be leaking.
Not a difficult job to replace the seal.

Surely it means the gearbox clutch have to be removed just to start with if thats the case:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely it means the gearbox clutch have to be removed just to start with if thats the case:cry:

No.

The gasket is as far up the engine as you can get...it seals the cam cover to the cylinder head.

The vacuum pump is on the end of the cam shaft which is at the top of the engine...well above the clutch and gearbox.

No offence, But it does appear your mechanical knowledge is limited so I suggest getting someone to have a look for you.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Might be a good idea to check the engine breather system is clear, can become clogged up on an oldish engine the excess crankcase pressure could make old and possibly weak oil seals leak.
If its a turbo it will have a high pressure external oil feed to it that can cause problems internal oil leaks on the turbo are usually burnt of resulting in a smoky exhaust.

OP
OP
W

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
No.

The gasket is as far up the engine as you can get...it seals the cam cover to the cylinder head.

The vacuum pump is on the end of the cam shaft which is at the top of the engine...well above the clutch and gearbox.

No offence, But it does appear your mechanical knowledge is limited so I suggest getting someone to have a look for you.

Sorry about that got confused wth the other answer,thought you meant crankshaft. The leak is not that high and is more likely a crankshaft seal fault and the oil is being sprayedup the seal area as most comes out the bottom of the cltch housing to engine seal. Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
W

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
Might be a good idea to check the engine breather system is clear, can become clogged up on an oldish engine the excess crankcase pressure could make old and possibly weak oil seals leak.
If its a turbo it will have a high pressure external oil feed to it that can cause problems internal oil leaks on the turbo are usually burnt of resulting in a smoky exhaust.

Okay nice idea, it is Turbo checked where the pipe goes back into the i/p from main air filter area. It seemed oily in the pipe but there was a steady fairly weak phut phut phut of oily air coming out would this be normal? I looked in the wire filter box and could see an oily steel wire mesh, is this normal. Cannot see how to remove the box after taking 2 nuts off.

Any further help gratefully received..............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back