OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Really hoping my relay is not inside the charge unit and also the problem is say a fuse I havnt found and my leisure battery charges when engine running

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am sorry but I know nothing about the earlier Schaudt charger that you have. Looking at a couple of photographs of one, I could not see the same 'beefy' 12V terminals on the back as the EBL99 / 100 have, so maybe the relays are not inside. Call Atlantic (my earlier link) - they will be able to advise I am sure.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Pretty sure they are for habitation area as the isolator next to them turns the habitation are 12 v off I believe

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Cheers guys I contacted the guys at a & n got this reply - Hello the LA110 is just a charger unit. See a auto electrician to trace fault.must say very quick reply , so ime now back to trying to find external relay or fuse , which I am happy about , just need to find it lol , thanks again all fir your input on this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cheers guys I contacted the guys at a & n got this reply - Hello the LA110 is just a charger unit. See a auto electrician to trace fault.must say very quick reply , so ime now back to trying to find external relay or fuse , which I am happy about , just need to find it lol , thanks again all fir your input on this

shouldn't be too difficult.. says he sipping a coffee , lovely day for a barbie.. :roflmto:

good luck..

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Yes wish I was at home trying to find relay and or fuse scotjimland instead if putting soil and waste pipes in this mill at Hebden bridge , very nice day here

Last edited:
OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Can you guys think of an easy way if tracing the right relay and fuse ? Thanks again in advance , shall be looking again when finish work

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
This is the shape of my b534 if anyone can point me in right direction of the split charge relay I would be great full

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
This grey box is just above battery looks to have circuit board inside this is what's on cover

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Which just looks like some sort of joint / junction box to me

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
I have found what the grey bitron video box does and by sounds of it nothing to do with my split charge / fridge relay ime trying to find
As I now understand it there are two starting scenarios above zero deg / below zero deg and this cross over point could be plus or minus three or four deg.

The very cold start system is controlled by a Bitron Video unit a grey box usually mounted above the battery. This controls a flame glowplug ( different to a normal glowplug ) and a solenoid both situated on top of the inlet manifold. The solenoid is used to inject diesel onto the flame glowplug, a description of the flame start plug can be found here.

For above zero deg the flame glow plug is not used, the light will just flick on for a fraction of a second when you turn on the ignition and the engine relies on fast turn over, good compression and good atomisation to start, a worn engine, faulty starter motor, bad battery or clogged injectors will make it harder to start.

For below zero the glow plug light will come on and if you wait long enough ( about 15 secs) before cranking the engine the light starts to flash and you can here the relay clicking in the control box, this I believe is to operate the solenoid, each time squirting a small amount of diesel onto the flame glowplug, igniting the fuel which then drips burning into the engine helping it to start. In very low temperatures (-10) this flashing carries on for about half a minute whilst the engine is running.

During the initial start and for 2 or 3 mins whilst driving off, a lot of smoke will come from the exhaust as the engine burns off this excess diesel.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
see the red and brown wires coming from the battery and going into the conduit? follow them

they will take you to the relay, which is probably one of those behind the dashboard if its not under the bonnet in the engine compartment. done properly, there should be a fuse on the red wire near the battery. have seen a few installs where the fuse is next to the relay though

the other way to do this is follow the live wire back from the leisure battery as the 2 relays (charge and fridge) are normally placed together

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
That's great the big1 I shall check it out and let ya know buddy

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Looking at it their is a 3 amp fuse off the alternator which protects both the fridge relay and split charge relay , this is of the vullet type thought and looks intact , it could be the connection on this wire that is dodgy as I have read reports about it , so maybe that's worth changing , either soldering or new type connector

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
I think these may be the relays ime looking for , what's bestcway of testing to see if it's working ? Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
use a multimeter set to 20v range. each relay will have 2 thick wires and 2 thin. the thin wires energise the relay so check them first. put the probes one on each terminal with the engine running. it should read around 13.8volts. if not find the fuse.
assuming the first test is ok, check the thick wires. place the black probe on an earth point and check the big wires one at a time. with the engine off, you should see 13.8v on one wire of each relay. if not there is a fuse blown between relay and battery. start the engine and test the thick wires again, but now you should see 13.8v on both terminals

should be simple enough:thumb:

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Thanks for the advice . I am getting 12.55 on one large wire with engine off , but on other large wire I get 0 but can't see a bludy fuse anywhere

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sorry dyslexic fingers again :Doh:with engine off should read about 12.5 on one thick wire terminal. this will jump up to 13.8 when the engine is running.

the trigger wire will only go live with the engine running

most likely only one relay is duff if either, try swapping them over and see if your getting power to the fridge with engine running. if it does you know its only a £5 relay, which is available anywhere:thumb:

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Cheers had to go out earlier soon as I try it and find out , ile let ya know if cracked it buddy

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
So for anyone who has hyma b534 age 1994 and need the split charge relay and fridge relay it is not in the blue la 100 charge box , tgat us just a stand alone charger , the relays are to the left of the vehicle at front behind the bullet fuse box , on a fiat Ducato b534 , along with an inline fuse

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
My inline fuse holder was melted as it had a 30 amp fuse in a 20 amp holder which prob nakerd the 4 pin relays off to Halfords tomoz

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
well done:thumb:

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Celebrated too early lol , took the relays to auto electrical place , they tested them , and said seem fine , ok I thought could be intermittent , so bought two new aswell , also new in line fuse holder , but the problem is still their , so here I go again lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back