1994 Hymer fridge wiring (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
So this us how it started , bought hyma and fridge did not work on 240 v even though 240v switch worked , also would not work on gas , now the 12 v light came on as supposed to when engine was running , because the fridge was not working I purchased another electrolux fridge (different model), now when connecting the wires , I noticed the electronic ignition did not work on fridge , and the 12 v switch lights up without engine running , (could a relay be stool open ? ) now if I swap the wires over to the other pair , the gas electronic ignition works fine , but the 12 v switch light dies not come on , even when engine running , I know that hyma used blue & brown wires , blue been the live , one pair of the two seems thicker wire ( same colours ) ime guessing this would be the 12 v supply and the slightly smaller wires are the electronic ignition, I can here the on board charger running too , seems fine , now I was wondering on my 1994 Hymer b534 where the fridge relay is likely to be situated , in the dash of the fiat with the other relays and fuses , or internal in the blue charger box under seat where 240 v breaker is , the fridge works fine on 240 v , ( now if the relay can't be fixed or got at , would it be possible to join the two feeds together onto the two wires that have power , as not used at same time and will make sure the 12 v is only used when driving , ? In affect by passing a faulty relay , thanks in advance nunny

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Sorry on my phone mean relay stuck open , and when I say under the seat I mean under the u shaped lounge seat , where the blue charger box is , and 240 v breaker

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So this us how it started , bought hyma and fridge did not work on 240 v even though 240v switch worked , also would not work on gas , now the 12 v light came on as supposed to when engine was running , because the fridge was not working I purchased another electrolux fridge (different model), now when connecting the wires , I noticed the electronic ignition did not work on fridge , and the 12 v switch lights up without engine running , (could a relay be stool open ? ) now if I swap the wires over to the other pair , the gas electronic ignition works fine , but the 12 v switch light dies not come on , even when engine running , I know that hyma used blue & brown wires , blue been the live , one pair of the two seems thicker wire ( same colours ) ime guessing this would be the 12 v supply and the slightly smaller wires are the electronic ignition, I can here the on board charger running too , seems fine , now I was wondering on my 1994 Hymer b534 where the fridge relay is likely to be situated , in the dash of the fiat with the other relays and fuses , or internal in the blue charger box under seat where 240 v breaker is , the fridge works fine on 240 v , ( now[HI] if the relay can't be fixed or got at , would it be possible to join the two feeds together onto the two wires that have power , as not used at same time and will make sure the 12 v is only used when driving , ? In affect by passing a faulty relay , thanks in advance nunny[/HI]

bad idea.. :thumbdown:

the 12v permanent supply to the fridge is for the electronics, it is a low power (amps) supply with light cable and small fuse , probably 3 amps.

If you use that supply to power the fridge's 12v heater, which draws about 7 amps it will likely blow the fuse or overheat the cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Cheers scottjimland , so I take it the smaller set of brown / blue wires are just for the electronic ignition on the fridge , and the larger pair of brown / blue wires is for the 12 volt supply to fridge ? Thanks in advance , I shall have to find out why no power on the larger pair of red / blue wire feeding the fridge then

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
At least I can now use on 240 v and gas , just need to sort pesky 12 v out , if the larger two wires are the 12 v feed

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Stupid phone adding letters , ( cheers scotjimland )

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
At a guess and it is just a guess their maybe a blown fuse lurking somewhere from alternator wires to the ones that feed fridge ? As it should only come on when engines on

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cheers scottjimland , so I take it the smaller set of brown / blue wires are just for the electronic ignition on the fridge , and the larger pair of brown / blue wires is for the 12 volt supply to fridge ? Thanks in advance , I shall have to find out why no power on the larger pair of red / blue wire feeding the fridge then

that is correct..

have you checked the fuse supplying the fridge/split charge relay ..?

it is generally under the bonnet near to the alternator .. usually in line fuse .. 20A ..
can be tucked away and maybe taped/tie wrapped to the vehicle wiring loom..

if it's blown it also means you probably won't be charging the habitation battery .. can you check that ?

EDIT

cross posted .. yes again ..

also.. the split charge relay is usually under the bonnet ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Hi , I will look for it after work tonight thanks , hmm so if the engines running I should be able to hear the blue charge box working just like when on 240 v , ? Thanks for this advice , much appreciated , I would think if theirs been a problem in past before I got the vehicle a fault should blow a fuse before damaging a relay , ( only if right size fuse installed though )

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no the mains charger wont work when the van engine is running but you seem to of got the rest right. the thick pair of wires can be followed back towards the engine battery to find the relay and fuse, which will be close to the battery. the relay will be powered by a thinner wire fed from an ignition live. nothing complicated about it

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Yep sorry the big 1 I didn't word right I mean when engine is not on and ime hooked up to 240 v I can here a slight buzz from inboard charger box , so am I right in thinking that when 240 v in in hooked and I turn engine on the on board charger would make same buzz or is it just the alternator that takes over and charges both batteries , new to this mh thing , bit Ike getting of it , thanks again

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yep sorry the big 1 I didn't word right I mean when engine is not on and ime hooked up to 240 v I can here a slight buzz from inboard charger box , so am I right in thinking that when 240 v in in hooked and I turn engine on the on board charger would make same buzz or is it[HI] just the alternator that takes over and charges both batteries [/HI], new to this mh thing , bit Ike getting of it , thanks again

Highlighted..

that is correct.. the alternator charges both batteries directly ..

The onboard charger is only for mains use.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
That's great , right now I have something I know I need to be looking for , so already progress made , thanks to you guys pointing me in right direction , my old boss said , it's not what you know but where to find out then remember it , cheers folks , let you know if I find out tonight

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's great , right now I have something I know I need to be looking for , so already progress made , thanks to you guys pointing me in right direction , my old boss said , it's not what you know but where to find out then remember it , cheers folks , let you know if I find out tonight

you're most welcome.:Smile:

I'd put money on it being the fuse feeding the relay that's blown. ..:winky:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You refer to the 'blue charger box'; is this a Schaudt EBL99 or 100? I am not sure when Hymer began fitting these - mine from 2003 has one. If you do have one of these, the fridge relay and the charging relay are built into the EBL.
I think there is an EBL99 instruction manual in the Fun downloads section should you require it.
Also, if you need technical advice regarding Schaudt equipment, give these guys a call.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You refer to the 'blue charger box'; is this a Schaudt EBL99 or 100? I am not sure when Hymer began fitting these - mine from 2003 has one. If you do have one of these, [HI]the fridge relay and the charging relay are built into the EBL.[/HI]
I think there is an EBL99 instruction manual in the Fun downloads section should you require it.
Also, if you need technical advice regarding Schaudt equipment, give these guys a call.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

Not having a Hymer wasn't aware of that ... thanks for info.

all my previous vans had them under the bonnet..

hopefully I didn't throw the OP off track.. searching for ever in the wrong place. :Blush:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not having a Hymer wasn't aware of that ... thanks for info.

all my previous vans had them under the bonnet..

hopefully I didn't throw the OP off track.. searching for ever in the wrong place. :Blush:

You're welcome.
On the back of the EBL (which many people will not see due to typical location - under seats etc.) there are three big 12V terminals: + Leisure Batt / + Starter Batt / - Common.
Under the bonnet there are high capacity fuses of course but not the relays.
On the front of the EBL is a plug-in 'kettle-lead' socket where the 230V ac enters and many people probably think that is the only power input.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
I can only find this 5 -amp inline fuse at moment still looking under bonnet tho

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any chance of a better photo showing the wiring to the battery terminals?

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Yes just a mo it's started raining very heavy lol , typical , I took this photo these fuses are in the glove box area of the fiat hyma along with a bank of relays , then I have a bank if bullet type fuse down the left side of drivers area next to 12 volt isolator

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Just to clarify I would of thought the fridge wires should be wired up as in photo I e larger wires to larger wire if wired up like this my 12 volt that should only run when engine is on lights up on fridge without engine running , and I have no electronic ignition for gas . If I swap feeds over but keep colours as shown I get electronic ignition but no 12 v switch lighting up ,

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Any more advice or theories I would be very greatfull , thanks , so it would seem if I wire it as should my 12 v lights up without engine running , but no electronic ignition , if I swap wires round I getvelectronic ignition to run gas but 12 volt Disney light up with engine running or not running , weird eh, thinking their must be a fuse somewhere it's the smaller of the two wires that has power to run things in fridge but the bigger ones no power at all , yet it seems on my fridge it's the larger wires that feed the electronic ignition if that makes sense , I would of thought the wires on fridge would be bigger to run the 12 v , just seems strange

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My blue charge box is an electromatic la 110

That is an earlier Schaudt charger. For advice on how it works I suggest you contact AandN as linked in my first post above. They understand them and can repair if there is a problem with it.

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Sorry for all these questions so if my charger unit is this
My blue charge box is an electromatic la 110
Is their still a fridge relay insude it or seperate , ime hoping seperate so long as can find it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back