1990 kontiki questions (1 Viewer)

Tonymark

Free Member
Aug 19, 2010
Funster No
Hi, I have recently taken the plunge and bought a 1990 Swift Kon-tiki on a Fiat Ducato 2.5 non turbo. As I try to familarise myself I have a few questions if anyone can help? 1. I want to fit new glow plugs but cannot figure how to remove the 4th plug ( Extreme left as looking at the engine). 2. There are 2 waste tanks, the one which discharges from the passengers side only seems to be piped to connect to the sink drainer. All other outlets to the rear tank, is this correct? 3. The gear stick has been welded at some point, it works fine and gear change is good, should I be concerned that it might break again? any spares out there? 4. Lastly I read that the rear axle need regular greasing. There appears to be grease around the nipples so that is promising!! However I am confused as to whether both sides have to be lifted together or if you can raise one and grease and then repeat on other side. While on this, is it acceptable to use a quality general grease as the recommended ones are proving difficult to obtain. Appreciate any advice there might be out there. TMark

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hello and welcome Tonymark. Can't help re glowplugs but someone who can is bound to be along in a moment. Re the AL-KO rear axle, I've read somewhere on here that it's fine to do the greasing one side at a time so long as the wheel is completed suspended off the ground.

Pretty sure that any decent grease will be fine, too. It's something I ask our local MoT place to do for me each year and they only charge an extra £5er.

Enjoy your new motorhome and here's hoping it gives you many miles of fun and pleasure.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Tonymark,

I've always greased my Al-Ko axle one side at a time, with any old grease that comes to hand.

For the other questions, you might ask here:

Preloved Talbot Express

The Fiat Ducato, Talbot Express, Citroen C25 and Peugeot J5 are all the same base vehicle and there are a lot of knowledgeable people on the above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just to throw a spanner in the works I had to have a new axle fitted on my Kontiki 640 this year as the old one was never greased and I didnt know. The cost was £2600. The general opinion through the several posts on the forums was that that both wheels need to be off the ground at the same time so there is no load. Im no expert but this was the general opinion. I dont think it just applies to Kontiki's but any Alko axle.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
The general opinion through the several posts on the forums was that that both wheels need to be off the ground at the same time so there is no load. Im no expert but this was the general opinion. I dont think it just applies to Kontiki's but any Alko axle.

Agree am sure I have read this also, to release the tension to help grease penetration.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Check this out, a bit more info.

Link Removed

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I took a look at a cutaway diagram of an Al-Ko axle and decided that one unloaded
wheel at a time was sufficient.

No problems so far for me, but follow a counsel of perfection if you feel better. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back