1989ish gas only truma boiler (1 Viewer)

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
i fill my fresh then starting with the furthest tap open the cold until i get continuous running water.i then repeat with the second cold tap.
my question is...how long does it usually take for the boiler to fillbefore the water comes from the hot tap?should i just be able to hear the pump at this stage?
i would be grateful for any advise?

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am a bit new to this but I have a 1999 Hymer, I fill the same way as you. The pump does not seem to make any noticeable sound once I have done the "tap thing" if I select the boiler on either hot water or heating & water the only noise I hear is a click from the boiler lighting. I then just wait until the yellow light turnes green to show the water is heated.Hope this helps.

Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i fill my fresh then starting with the furthest tap open the cold until i get continuous running water.i then repeat with the second cold tap.

I open the cold, wait 'till it's stopped farting and belching then swing to hot and wait for that. The hot will take longer because, first time, it's filling the boiler.

Then move to other taps. Now the hot should appear as quickly as the cold did because the boiler is full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
tanks.
i had given up and thought that te water heater didn't work.well it still probably doesn't.
anyway,it's being bugging me and the more i thought about it the more i began thinking that the tank wasn't filling up or maybe i wasn't giving it chance to.??..i was wondering if the tap was closed so the tank couldn't fill and so nothing would come on the board?
the only tap i have found is before the kitchen taps under a seat which i fourth in line from the fresh(fresh tank,heater,bathroom then sink)
i am going to empty the cupboard and set up a good light because i couldn't find a valve anywhere between the fresh tank and the heater tank.i will take sme photies and try to post them.our habitation guy checked the cpu and the fuse and thought they looked fine but said the system was older than even he had first thought.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
tanks.
i had given up and thought that te water heater didn't work.well it still probably doesn't.
anyway,it's being bugging me and the more i thought about it the more i began thinking that the tank wasn't filling up or maybe i wasn't giving it chance to.??..i was wondering if the tap was closed so the tank couldn't fill and so nothing would come on the board?
the only tap i have found is before the kitchen taps under a seat which i fourth in line from the fresh(fresh tank,heater,bathroom then sink)
i am going to empty the cupboard and set up a good light because i couldn't find a valve anywhere between the fresh tank and the heater tank.i will take sme photies and try to post them.our habitation guy checked the cpu and the fuse and thought they looked fine but said the system was older than even he had first thought.

Hi Pamela
The water reaching the taps should arrive when the hot tank has filled up. Some hold more than others.
Normally the pump will deliver cold water when you turn the tap on (you should hear the pump). It is exactly the same for the hot water system but the water will not arrive until the hot tank is full (you should hear the pump when you turn on the tap). Make sure there is enough water in the fresh water tank; I usually travel with it half full for the journey and fill up on arrival.
The above should always apply unless some modification has been added.
The pump is either operated by a switch in the taps or a pressure switch in the system. When the tap is turned on, the pressure drops and the pump switches on or when you turn on the tap it operates a micro-switch that make the pump work.

Good luck.

Alan

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
mh1.jpg

mh2.jpg

mh3.jpg

mh4.jpg

mh5.jpg

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
okay so above are photos of our water tank and operating board and truma boiler.
i have physically followed the water tube from the point where it comes out of the pump,along the tube and when it gets near the boiler it branches off two ways;one the boiler and the other to the bathroom/sink.there is definately nothing along the pipe to stop the flow.
i cannot get to this pipe until it appears next to the sink with a red tap along it which when pointin upwards expels water from under the mh.
the red pipe that comes out of the boiler also has no taps on it.
so when i fill up i am now assuming that the fresh water automatically goes into the boiler but why does nothing come out of the taps when they are turned to hot?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
right i think i have finally worked out how our system works,
i filled up the fresh and pumped it to the two cold taps and it also came through the two hot taps so that makes me assume the tank is filling.
i turned on the gas(and removed cover ofcourse)and checked it was coming through by lighting the hobs and then switched on the boiler and moved the thermostat around.
absolutely nothing,nada nowt!!
so if we want hot water we need to replace it unless anyone has any other ideas??!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
right i think i have finally worked out how our system works,
i filled up the fresh and pumped it to the two cold taps and it also came through the two hot taps so that makes me assume the tank is filling.
i turned on the gas(and removed cover ofcourse)and checked it was coming through by lighting the hobs and then switched on the boiler and moved the thermostat around.
absolutely nothing,nada nowt!!
so if we want hot water we need to replace it unless anyone has any other ideas??!!

Have you removed the winter cover off the boiler flue outlet outside ? I am confused by your posting as it goes on about hot taps not working ? now they are but delivering cold water meaning your boiler is not working ? which is it ?
terry

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
In the beginning i didnt think the wster was coming through the hot but now i understand more i can see that the cold was coming through no probs.yes the outside cover was off.
It is the board thats not showing anything and obviously the boiler.
Ive just been looking at propex 10 litre elec only heater.priced around ÂŁ160.has anyyone got one.there are no bad reviews that i can see??

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Dear Pam
Now I am confused.
Is water coming out of the hot and cold taps?
If so there is no problem with the water circuitry.
Is the boiler working?
Why are you looking at other boilers at this point?
Most boilers are repairable at a much lower cost than replacing them.
Other than that, you leave me very confused about what is wrong.

Alan

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
sorry for the confusion.....it's taken me a while to learn how it all works
the water does reach the hot and cold taps in both sinks.the control panel does absolutely nothing.our habitation guy had a quick look at the pcb and fuse and thought they both looked fine but without testing couldn't say for certain.
the reason we had looked at a new boiler was because the truma that is fitted at present has the year 1988 on it and we thought it would be difficult to source parts for something this age plus the propex 10 litre electric heater is ÂŁ170 and is electric.whereas the broken truma is gas only.
the project has just gone on hold for a while as we have had a bath leak and now have a big hole in the lounge ceiling.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it is as far as I know not an instantaneous water heater in which case it would take around 20 mins to heat up. Be patient.

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
it is as far as I know not an instantaneous water heater in which case it would take around 20 mins to heat up. Be patient.

do you mean the truma in there now?
if so there are no lights or sounds when we turn it on on the control board.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back