19 year old 'new' spare tyre (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
18 years and never neaded? That has just confirmed the reason why I have never carried a spare wheel. How many others are wasting their time and money?

After all the discussions about spare wheels that and because I've just bought a spare set of four off here. I thought I'd throw one under the bed for our latest 5 week trip to France. What a waste of time and money that was - never needed it once in over 3,000 miles:Eeek:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had two wrecked tyres within a short time a few years ago. A blow out near Inverness in the summer and then another back in Spain the following autumn. Both newish tyres on different motorhomes and both for different reasons. We were so glad of a spare wheel both times, and especially on the second occasion when we were totally "on our own"! Luckily that wheel is kept in the garage. The first one, changed by the breakdown guy, was underneath and a pig to access, but still necessary in the circumstances.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
19 year old tyre running at 80 psi in hot temperatures that you get in places like Spain. I wouldn't risk it. Not even as an emergency tyre. I have seen a tyre take out a large section of the wheel arch plastic surround when it exploded which would cost a lot more than a new tyre.
I don't have a spare on my current van mainly due to weight issues, but I do make sure my tyres are at the correct pressure and no older then 6 to 7 years and are the correct rated tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back