Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi all
At present I have 15 inch steel wheels on my Moho.
And has no spare wheel just a pump and sealer.
To be honest the one's fitted look a bit lost.
I would like to fit a larger wheel the same as the maxi.
The speedo will not be an issue as it under reads by the present.
The larger wheel/tyres will be correct as per tyre calculator.
There are two sizes of pcd and I believe mine is the smaller.
How can I check.
Then I can buy five steel wheels and have a spare.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You don't need a spare. So few pumptures these days that the gloop and compressor will get you out of trouble 90% of the time. IMHO

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi Alex
You mite be right but I just don't like the idea of the spray stuff.
If I was in a roadworks I would not stop with the thought of a lorry hitting me from behind.
And many will say at that point the tyre is knackered so the spray will not work.
If it did work you still would have to have the tyre replaced due the tyre running pressure and increase due to driving heat.
And I just don't like the idea of not having one even if it was a space saver.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm glad our van came with a spare. Last time we had a puncture we were on the M6 in Cumbria, the tyre was absolutely bolloxed by the time I stopped, we were in a new MINI and had to be recovered to a garage on a Sunday night, took hours to get it fixed. Would have been on our way again in 20 minutes with a spare 👍

Deleted User
Have you ever changed a wheel on a motorhome? Could you undo the wheel nuts? When was the last time you used a jack? Have you ever tried undoing the perhaps rusted bolts securing the spare wheel and could you lift it? I haven't but I have bought an extension cable and practiced using the inflation kit supplied with mine and I think I can reinflate a flat tyre anywhere on the van quicker than changing a wheel. If the tyre is beyond repair I'll call the AA.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've had two punctures in 20years and was grateful I carried a spare. Its essential in Europe as they will refuse to supply a single replacement tyre.

You can measure the pcd using a flat rule or piece of planned wood across the rim and then a measure the the depth of the inner surface that seats normally on the brake hub.

Theres a place in Chester tyresave.co.uk ask them

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Have you ever changed a wheel on a motorhome? Could you undo the wheel nuts? When was the last time you used a jack? Have you ever tried undoing the perhaps rusted bolts securing the spare wheel and could you lift it? I haven't but I have bought an extension cable and practiced using the inflation kit supplied with mine and I think I can reinflate a flat tyre anywhere on the van quicker than changing a wheel. If the tyre is beyond repair I'll call the AA.
I`m now in your camp on this. My last Puncture Circa 2010ish. closed one lane of the M25 Friday afternoon. (I got a mention, by "Sally Traffic" on R-2!!) The RAC sent a guy to swap to the spare (on the rear duals). He point blank refused to attempt it even with one closed lane and the VOSA Guys with all the lights etc 100 yards behind. I cannot blame him. In the end I was asked by VOSA, if I would slowly remove myself off the M-way and we went to a layby off a local road, where the tyre was changed. After that experience I could see no real reason to carry a spare, although when going "foreign" I do take a spare Tyre, as they are not always easily obtainable in some countries.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a look at our wheels that are 5 x 118 PCD and it measures 69mm there about's between centre to centre of the wheel nuts.

1599807964196.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This wheel/tyre calculator will tell you the difference in speed the tyre sizes will have to your original tyres.
Your speedo is bound to be out compared to your actual road speed, so a large tyre rolling diameter may well bring your speedo nearer inline to actual road speed as it did when I went from 15" to 16".
I use both our dashcam and satnav to get an accurate speed reading.

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

If you want to go really overboard on detail, then this kiddo will give you hours to entertainment. :LOL:

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've had two punctures in 20years and was grateful I carried a spare. Its essential in Europe as they will refuse to supply a single replacement tyre.
Unsure if I misunderstood what you're saying and stand to be corrected but I believe that if a replacement tyre is an identical match (brand/type/specs etc) it can be fitted. In that case you carry a spare a tyre in your garage (not the heavy wheels) as a replacement. I certainly had no problem in France replacing a single tyre last month. What you can't do is expect a garage to turn up with a random tyre and fit that.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't need a spare. So few pumptures these days that the gloop and compressor will get you out of trouble 90% of the time. IMHO
And I thought you were sensible Alex :LOL: .
If you believe that you must be in cloud cuckoo land, our current van is the first one we haven't had a puncture in.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
a mention, by "Sally Traffic" on R-2!!)
Hi PeteH
" Sally Traffic " Radio 2..... When " Ray Moore "TOP DJ" used to introduce her he said. " Now for Sally Traffic,the truckers floosie 🚛 🚛 🚛 ". Happy days Sarrarrer Kennedy,Alex Lester, Johnny Walker.... JY Prog!! and more.
Feel better after that,you may get back to spare wheels.... Me ? Would not venture out without one,even if it meant hanging it off the back door.
Tea Bag

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
And I thought you were sensible Alex :LOL: .
If you believe that you must be in cloud cuckoo land, our current van is the first one we haven't had a puncture in.

I can only give you the benefit of my experiences Lenny.
Last time I had a puncture in any vehicle must have been over thirty years ago and can't imagine why I would carry a spare around that will probably never get used. Even the manufacturer's agree with me, there's little need for a spare wheel. Modern tyres have far much better construction and only seem to fail after many, many years of use and abuse. It seems that the majority of motorhome tyre failures is due to them still being used well beyond their maximum age.

Also I am well beyond jacking up 4 tonne vans and changing wheels. I paid my breakdown insurance and will be happy to make a coffee, have a read and wait for the man.
I'm positive it won't be any time soon :drinks: :drinks:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last time I had a puncture in any vehicle must have been over thirty years ago and can't imagine why I would carry a spare around that will probably never get used. Even the manufacturer's agree with me, there's little need for a spare wheel. Modern tyres have far much better construction and only seem to fail after many, many years of use and abuse. It seems that the majority of motorhome tyre failures is due to them still being used well beyond their maximum age.

Also I am well beyond jacking up 4 tonne vans and changing wheels. I paid my breakdown insurance and will be happy to make a coffee, have a read and wait for the man.
Problem with heavy vehicles is that if you get a puncture you only need to travel a hundred yards on a flat tyre and the tyre will be unrepairable. If in France of Spain if they can't get the same tyre as on your van you will have to buy 2 as they must be the same on the axle.
Our last van I had a puncture 20 miles after fitting new tyres. Daughters new car drove out of the showroom 24 hr later nail in the shoulder tyre unrepairable.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Blimey, wish I had your luck with (no) punctures or blow-outs. Your post is somewhat tempting fate.

Mine have been with mostly car tyres that were properly inflated, not overloaded, and all less than 5 years old. Causes included embedded nails, screws; or, in the latest example that blew out a MH tyre, a pipe that had fallen off a tanker lorry, lying across 2 motorway lanes. That pipe caused at least a dozen vehicles to have destroyed tyres, and for some alloy wheels smashed as well. A Beemer with run-flat tyres could go no further, needing a recovery truck. Case closed - I wouldn't buy a MH without a spare. The tanker's insurers accepted my claim, BTW.

At my age I would also call out the breakdown service to change mine.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Blimey, wish I had your luck with (no) punctures or blow-outs. Your post is somewhat tempting fate.

Mine have been with mostly car tyres that were properly inflated, not overloaded, and all less than 5 years old. Causes included embedded nails, screws; or, in the latest example that blew out a MH tyre, a pipe that had fallen off a tanker lorry, lying across 2 motorway lanes. That pipe caused at least a dozen vehicles to have destroyed tyres, and for some alloy wheels smashed as well. A Beemer with run-flat tyres could go no further, needing a recovery truck. Case closed - I wouldn't buy a MH without a spare. The tanker's insurers accepted my claim, BTW.

You broke a mirror recently?
Or as we say on Yorkshire-. Fook your luck :Eeek: :Eeek: :drinks:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Problem with heavy vehicles is that if you get a puncture you only need to travel a hundred yards on a flat tyre and the tyre will be unrepairable. If in France of Spain if they can't get the same tyre as on your van you will have to buy 2 as they must be the same on the axle.
Our last van I had a puncture 20 miles after fitting new tyres. Daughters new car drove out of the showroom 24 hr later nail in the shoulder tyre unrepairable.
Not having much luck then? :(. But seriously like many others at 77 and counting, I am personally not going to jack and change anywhere on the UK/European Road system anytime soon, hence why the only thing I do carry is a matching spare tyre and that not everywhere. Yes I have a Gloop Device and the compressor and I might give that a try. Otherwise I only ever "do" wheels on my drivway at home where I have access to time, jacks, (big ones) and axle stands up to 5 tonne each, plus all the other bits like air tools, torque and breaker wrenches etc. Any thing mobile I would/will leave to the Recovery people. Which is largely what I pay for annually.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi PeteH
" Sally Traffic " Radio 2..... When " Ray Moore "TOP DJ" used to introduce her he said. " Now for Sally Traffic,the truckers floosie 🚛 🚛 🚛 ". Happy days Sarrarrer Kennedy,Alex Lester, Johnny Walker.... JY Prog!! and more.
Feel better after that,you may get back to spare wheels.... Me ? Would not venture out without one,even if it meant hanging it off the back door.
Tea Bag
A whole Lifetime ago, I`m afraid, Haven't listened to R-2 since they brought in that Vine bloke. I used to love being on "Earlies" or Night Trunk. Ray Moore Cracked me up. Hatt Transport?. Gatport Airwick?, The annual "bog eyed jog". J-Y was a better interviewer than any of the current rash of aggressive "bullies" who pass for interviewers to-day. Sad to say ALL the good ones have now gone, mostly to the big Radio Station "up there".

As for Spares, when I bought this last motorhome, there was one taking up space in the under-bed locker. It had the OE tyre, a good 7 years out of date!, on it, and no sign it had ever been on the coach!. So Obviously the Vehicle had never had a puncture in it`s life. And none since either. which make me question the need?. I suppose it is what the individual feels comfortable with?.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
This link from the "outandaboutlive forum" discusses swapping from 15" to 16" tyres. Might be useful to the OP.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi. SpeedyDux.
OOOOooo. Eeeeeeerrrr Mrs...At my age..... Your not...." Kin " to that Sally Traffic...aka... " Truckers.... ? " :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:🚛🚛🚛(y):rolleyes:....... Are you.?;)
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back