Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Is there a motorhome that is 16' (4.9m) long or less? This is all our driveway will accommodate. The alternative is storage, which If needs must then that's the way we will have to go. Prepared to compromise on space to see if anything available. Not really keen on poptops but flexible, and prepared to consider all options. Only two of us, and a dog. Thanks.

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks @Stretto Boy. Some things to think about there. The below five metres is not anything I can change. This is the measurement from garage door to the end of our driveway. Anything above that and the back end would be sticking out onto the pavement. Will look at some mentioned in that link.
Definitely looking at used.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The Autosleeper Trident range are nice little campers but they don't have a washroom, just a portapotti. These are on VW T4 base.
I think anything on a VW T5 short wheel base would also be ok.
The VW California is ok but it is a pop top without a washroom.
Depends on your needs.

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Maybe the shower would have to be the compromise, but would still like a proper loo.

How do you find out when models start/ stop production. For instance the Vantage Lux new is way out of our price range, but an Autosleeper Symphony all look older that I am looking for. £25/£30K budget

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Vw autosleeper trophy or vw autosleeper topaz both have washrooms and are around the size you seek
Be prepared though they aren't cheap I sold my 1997 vw trophy in March for £12k the topaz your looking at £15+ but they are excellent vans and incredible use if space

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Vw autosleeper trophy or vw autosleeper topaz both have washrooms and are around the size you seek
Be prepared though they aren't cheap I sold my 1997 vw trophy in March for £12k the topaz your looking at £15+ but they are excellent vans and incredible use if space
Will certainly look at the Topaz. The Trident is just a tad too long. Thanks.
Or that might be the other way round

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The trident is a swb the trophy is a swb with a 450mm extension and the topaz is a lwb
There's only 400mm of difference between the swb vw and the lwb

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Sorry I don't know what swb and lwb means. Google found me a website with lengths on It says Trident is 4.75m and Topaz (I didn't make a note of as it was too long) is 5.18? I think. Don't know how accurate these figures are. There really is no flexibility on length, 5m is absolute max, if we are to keep it at home, which is a pain.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry I don't know what swb and lwb means. Google found me a website with lengths on It says Trident is 4.75m and Topaz (I didn't make a note of as it was too long) is 5.18? I think. Don't know how accurate these figures are. There really is no flexibility on length, 5m is absolute max, if we are to keep it at home, which is a pain.
Put van nose as far as possible into garage - might gain a metre if you're lucky?

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Put van nose as far as possible into garage - might gain a metre if you're lucky?
I wish.Believe me, I left 2" from the garage door and 2" from sticking out on to the pavement. Really can't do anymore.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
long wheel base,short wheel base.
Maybe find somewhere to store it?

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
long wheel base,short wheel base.
Maybe find somewhere to store it?
Ha ha. Still have no idea what that means. True newbie. Storage is plan B, but hoping not to have to. Exploring all options for my mini driveway first.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The vw trophy is 5182 that's the length of a school ruler more than your limit unless the pavement is really narrow I'm sure you'd be fine, there aren't many vans smaller than that unless your going in to bongo territory

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ha ha. Still have no idea what that means. True newbie. Storage is plan B, but hoping not to have to. Exploring all options for my mini driveway first.
The VW transporter base is manufactured in two bases. SWB short wheel base is the one you will be looking for. LWB long wheel base is as you say too long for your drive.
We had the Autosleeper Topaz and loved it but, no good for you. The Trident however would fit.
I am sure that there are other conversions out there based on the SWB but I suspect they will not have a washroom.
Everything in the MH world is about deciding on what you are prepared to compromise on. I think the convenience of having it on your drive might outweigh not having a washroom. Our friends have managed for 10 years with a Trident and go away abroad for 6 weeks at a time. Of course they stay on sites and use the facilities there.

We had the Topaz because we could fit it on our drive. We were very happy with it for 8 years but eventually our desire for something a bit bigger drove demolishing the front wall and cutting down 3 trees in order to fit a Ducato LWB on!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It seems a terrible choice to make the limitations of your driveway turn a joyous holiday into a cramped apology of a holiday.

Wot Brian sed.............. Your needs are more than the size of your drive............

...................Van before driveway(y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We had a VW T4 Westfalia California for 10 years and loved it. It took us on many camping trips to Europe, as far away as Venice. Under 4.8 meters long. Never had a problem with the pop top roof so don't dismiss that automatically in favour of a high top. The pop top has one big advantage that it goes under the dreaded 2m height barriers. When raised in very hot weather it also helps keep the van cool. It was a great starter campervan and could be parked just about anywhere. I still miss it.

Drive length is not my problem, but I don't have a car any more, so opted for a 5.4m Ducato van conversion which still more or less fits a standard parking space if you allow for a bit of overhang. There are a few 5m Ducato conversions around which gets you a room with a loo but their weak area tends to be the beds.

OP
OP
Rosies21

Rosies21

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
It seems a terrible choice to make the limitations of your driveway turn a joyous holiday into a cramped apology of a holiday.

Wot Brian sed.............. Your needs are more than the size of your drive............

...................Van before driveway(y)

You're not wrong. All part of the research process though. Pros and cons. If what we can keep at home doesn't meet our needs, we will move on to other options.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My Eribacar is 5.5m and I could probably cook breakfast while sat on the toilet......... well turn the kettle off - you will now realise I travel alone - you really do need to find a van that suits you not your drive............good luck

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
WildAx Pulsar is 5m - but actually if you look at Citroen's specs for the L1H1 variant, the precise measurement is 4963mm !

It's a fully featured Motorhome rather than a "Camper", 2 or 4 berth.

The only problem is likely to be price (?) if buying new, and the long wait time to be built - or finding one if wanting a used one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You're not wrong. All part of the research process though. Pros and cons. If what we can keep at home doesn't meet our needs, we will move on to other options.

What you do not say is what you wish to achieve with your MH. It's a huge difference between a day at the seaside and weeks on tour with "Only two of us, and a dog.". There's no "only" in it when touring and weather turns nasty, stuck in the space of a car with a wet dog does not bare thinking about.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
WildAx Pulsar is 5m - but actually if you look at Citroen's specs for the L1H1 variant, the precise measurement is 4963mm !

It's a fully featured Motorhome rather than a "Camper", 2 or 4 berth.

The only problem is likely to be price (?) if buying new, and the long wait time to be built - or finding one if wanting a used one.
That's hilarious.... I'm 6ft 3 my head would be out that skylight if I was standing in that shower, the shower head is almost level with my nipples...... You would have to shower sitting on the toilet, and wardrobe is good for two jackets and that's it to claim it has motorhome fittings is a little exaggerated it's a camper van and totally in practical.
My opinion motorhomes are self sufficient camper vans rely on campsites with shower facilities and awnings to live in.

Personally if I had to choose between something I could park on the drive but be really uncomfortable camping in or having comfort and storing elsewhere it's no contest.

I'd move house

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back