150hp X290 Euro 6 - low oil warning light on dash (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i am occasionally getting an amber low engine oil warning light multi function display area of the on the dash (that shows open doors info etc) - i'm certain the engine oil isn't low - the light seems to come on if the van has been parked sideways on a slope for a while (and not a very big one (e.g the road camber outside our house was enough to cause it on Friday)
I've checked the oil on the flat and its at MAX on the dipstick and on the oil level gauge normally, and i don't want to over fill it. once the lamp is lit, it stays on when driving (even after an hour of driving, which is disconcerting) and doesn't turn off even when the van is sitting on the level until the van has been off for about 20 min. Once it goes off, in and then i get a "normal" display with the multi-bar oil level showing max bars illuminated.

does anyone else have a similar issue? is it a @feature of the x290 engine or is it something to get looked at by the dealer? perhaps a faulty sensor? The van is still under warranty....

thanks
G

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
maybe wrong but i think it may come on if it is over full

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
the multi function display indicates the oil is full and a dipstick check it is not over full on the dipstick, but only comes on when the van has been lying at an angle - that suggests either a sensor has been exposed (or immersed). there is nothing in the handbook that illustrates the symbol - the only discusstion is a low oil level light - which is what i presume i would see after the oil bar levels were below low on the multi-function display.
the light is an oil can with drips and a downward arrow, which i take as a low oil warning - but as i say, the manual is very weak in this topic.
it is "odd" that it seems to take a while to clear.... you would think that it would clear after a couple of minutes when parked on the flat , but its 20min or more.
both times i've had it come on, the van had been left over night / all day leaning over to the driver side.... FWIW
as it is an amber light, the convention is a "inspect" rather than a red "stop" warning... but i'd rather understand what it really meant in case it is an underlying issue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
I don't have the oil light coming on but, if I'm parked 3 deg over on drive it shows 4 lights not 5 on the display. On checking the oil on dipstick it shows its on or near max. If parked somewhere on route and there is any incline one or two dots go out. Moving to level ground it immediately shows 5 dots and is OK. Now I do a check before a long journey on the dipstick and to some extent ignore the dots now. I think it's the design flaw rather than an actual fault

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If it’s under warranty,why not get it checked out?
The only time I’ve had oil warning lights come on with modern vehicles it’s been due to sensors playing up. At one time mercs and bmw were known for it.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I popped into our local Fiat Professional garage this afternoon and had a chat with the Ducato mechanic, who said he than't come across this before - and doesn't know the answer - but he suspects it is a low oil level warning - perhaps because of where the oil level sensor is in the sump - and if it is tripped, it needs a while on the flat for the oil level to drain back into the sump and get to a level high enough to re-set the switch and make the low level light go out.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If the sensor is on one side of the sump can you test by parking the other way round so instead of being out of the oil it will be submerged?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
On vehicles fitted with a DPF you should keep the oil level in the middle between max and min.
Otherwise if a dpf regeneration is carried out the oil level could rise due to dilution of the oil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back