13 amp switched socket with USB charger (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Funsters,
this isn't a motorhome question but I'm sure someone out there can help -
I have just installed a 13amp socket with USB charger.
After I plugged in a 'phone and an iPad I noticed it buzzed and got quite hot - hotter than I would have expected. The ordinary plug-in USB chargers don't seem to get hot.
Is this to be expected or should I maybe take it back?
The socket is from Screfix and is BG (British General).

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have installed several of these around the house. None buzz or get hot. I think I'd contact screwfix (I've always found them very customer friendly)

I think they are the future rather than plug in chargers.

Wyn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
iPads & iPhones take a higher charging current than most USB devices, the standard for USB outlets on a computer is 500ma, Ipad & iPhones need a 1amp charger.
If the the USB outputs are built to the standard they won't cope with charging an ipad. Nothing wrong with the socket just iPads & iPhones not conforming to the standard.
You need to find one with at least 1 amp output on the USB sockets. If the ones you brought are at least 1 amp you probably have a faulty one.

I have looked at them but decided against them, as we are away more it would be something else powered up permanently another fire risk in the house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have seen these for sale and wonder why anybody would bother to change, if doing a full room change then it might make sense, but why not just plug in the adaptor? even it that means using a multi plug

As for your fault, I would get it checked or changed, could it just be a loose connection when fitted rather than a component issue

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
  • We use this, from Argos, in the house and in the MH.
  • Good little gizmo, does the job.
    • 9368640_R_Z001A_UC953353
    • By Masterplug, Surge protected.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think they are the future rather than plug in chargers.

Wyn

I don't. A socket will last 100 years. The complex tiny charger circuit, crammed in, might well not survive the first thunder storm or electrically noisy old vacuum cleaner.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours are supposed to be 2.1 amp shared over two USB outlets. I would not charge ipad and iphone at the same time, too close to the max load. They do charge one unit fine with no heat or buzz.

I think I would send the unit you have back and get a replacement. They should not get hot or buzz.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi Funsters,
this isn't a motorhome question but I'm sure someone out there can help -
I have just installed a 13amp socket with USB charger.
After I plugged in a 'phone and an iPad I noticed it buzzed and got quite hot - hotter than I would have expected. The ordinary plug-in USB chargers don't seem to get hot.
Is this to be expected or should I maybe take it back?
The socket is from Screfix and is BG (British General).
It is a motorhome question because we have several of them in our van :)
Iphones and some of our tablets charge slowly but none of the sockets get warm or buzz.
Sounds dodgy!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
some things are designed to 'buzz and get hot'.. ;)

that's not one of them.. take it back
Hmmmmmm, your lass uses one that plugs into a USB? What a good idea, where did you get it from I'll pass the info on to SWMBO :LOL:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've had a few of these installed around the house for a while & have had not trouble. Certainly not getting hot or making noises.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I phoned the company BG help line and their comments were worse than useless. They suggested that they can get hot and the buzzing could be from somewhere else, resonating through the socket - where did they find the bloke? Do they even pay him? He even spoke English - proper English!!o_O
I think I will take them back and use an adaptor like johnp10 suggested(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fitted 2 no problems no buzzing I think screwfix do another make also could give them a try

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you are using it to charge Samsung phones or tablets they draw up to 2 amps for fast charging. I burnt out a usb charger designed for an iPhone in no time at all.

Dick

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I have just read the leaflet that came with the socket. It says it delivers 2.1A divided between the two USB sockets, so I was overloading it, hence the heat! But buzzing?
And why couldn't the guy from technical support have told me this?
And why are they making something like this that doesn't properly support ALL common devices?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I have just read the leaflet that came with the socket. It says it delivers 2.1A divided between the two USB sockets, so I was overloading it, hence the heat! But buzzing?
And why are they making something like this that doesn't properly support ALL common devices?

The issue seems to be that USB connections & chargers run at different rates & amperages. Its totally weird, you'd need a slide rule & a ready re conner to know which ones to use.

Then you come across two different types of USB connectors on some PCs etc. My notebook has two different types, an old type & a new type apparently. The difference is the speed of data transfer!!

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Have fitted 2 in the house, after a bit of research and asking an Electrical retailer was advised to purchase Deta USB outlets, not the cheapest at around £17 to £18 a pop but as in life you get what you pay for. The two usb outlets have differant ratings and as such are marked up "phone" and "Tablet" Data sheet attached. Broken Link Removed

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just to add we have been charging an Ipad Air and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet both 10.1 inch models from the same Deta socket with no overheating, buzzing or whatever for over 6 months now

?

Deleted User
Aldi sell them now and then. Double and single sockets. Are you sure the iphone does not want lots of amps and the socket only pumps out a handfull?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oooo ... you'll be in trouble now ... suggesting that Apple devices are COMMON!!! I can hear the teeth of iPads owners etc grinding their teeth from here!!!! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't. A socket will last 100 years. The complex tiny charger circuit, crammed in, might well not survive the first thunder storm or electrically noisy old vacuum cleaner.
I used to tell them at work that when they shut down their computers etc to turn them off at the wall socket, and not to use the switch on the machine itself ... a 'bust' socket was much easier to have replaced and cheaper!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
What you need is one of these

41h59EcJQvL.jpg

The most fantastic thing in the world ever,..........

OK no quite , but its good

You can get all your charging in one place, we moved everything to one worktop

Got mine from amazon, they are the best selling charger in the USA

If you go abroad you just get a new lead/plug

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe one of these would do?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You have to be very careful about the total power draw from the device.

I can charge my tablet from some (not all) multi-devices as long as it is the only item drawing power. I can charge phone, camera, mp3 player all at the same time as they don't pull so much power. Still worth having the multi-charge device as I can charge several low pull items or a single big power puller - rather pack one device than several.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back