Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Morning all...

So, came home last weekend and ripped out the battery box as you do, increase size/make use of currently wasted space and replace one with two batterys, tidy up wiring etc. So, we have a 15.4" Grundig LCD TV/DVD/Freeview etc TV which runs off 240volt, however this is via an adaptor, 240 to, wait for it, 12volt. Ah ha, now, what's the go on running said tele of the 12 volt? Now I'm guessing with the voltage range possible, spikes from lights, heater fan etc etc some form of 'protection' might be an idea, any thoughts/sources? Obviously there is option two, install invertor and have it and the adaptor look after the tele and have the added bonus of having 240 for phone charging etc if we get caught out.

We're not heavy tele watchers when away, and frankley we don't do any real wild camping but we go to the odd show where there's no power and like it or loath it we watch the F1, and also I'm lazy when it comes to hook up, if we don't really need it I don't bother whether it's paid for or not.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Si.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Morning all...

So, came home last weekend and ripped out the battery box as you do, increase size/make use of currently wasted space and replace one with two batterys, tidy up wiring etc. So, we have a 15.4" Grundig LCD TV/DVD/Freeview etc TV which runs off 240volt, however this is via an adaptor, 240 to, wait for it, 12volt. Ah ha, now, what's the go on running said tele of the 12 volt? Now I'm guessing with the voltage range possible, spikes from lights, heater fan etc etc some form of 'protection' might be an idea, any thoughts/sources? Obviously there is option two, install invertor and have it and the adaptor look after the tele and have the added bonus of having 240 for phone charging etc if we get caught out.

We're not heavy tele watchers when away, and frankley we don't do any real wild camping but we go to the odd show where there's no power and like it or loath it we watch the F1, and also I'm lazy when it comes to hook up, if we don't really need it I don't bother whether it's paid for or not.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Si.

I have an ONN tv from asda 240v but transformed down to 12v dc like yours, so its logical to use the leisure batteries 12v ,.

Why use 12v to 240v only to be transformed back to 12v must be some energy waste there.

Having said that tv 's can be damaged if the voltage is high and i guess thats up to the tolerence of the input supply.

get a stabliser to solve this problem [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/LCD-12-Volt-Stabiliser/dp/B000ZLRXG8"]click here[/ame]

Regards

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for that.

Wastage, yup, that's what I thought dispite what the man in Maplins told me some time ago.

The stabaliser, I've looked at a number and the usual issue was power/wattage handling, ie too low. Accepting the PSU's in the van and likely the distructions or, I don't know the wattage of the beasty right now, what are the specs on the stabaliser, assuming this is what you use or was it just an example?

Amazon witters but I can't see details.....

Cheers again,

Si.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Yes there is "wastage" in using an inverter but there are advantages also......

If you use 12v direct from the battery its almost certain at some stage your battery voltage will dip under the 12 volt level, ie when you put a big load or a surge from things like, water pump, steps, groups of lights, or any kind of surge. When this happen's some TV switch off, sometimes the sound only or the screen only or both.

This does not mean that you battery is flat, just that you are taking more amps out of and coursing a surge.

You might be luck with you TV but check it first before committing. but when you test it do it on a battery that is not fully charged to make it realistic.

Doug

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks for that.

Wastage, yup, that's what I thought dispite what the man in Maplins told me some time ago.

The stabaliser, I've looked at a number and the usual issue was power/wattage handling, ie too low. Accepting the PSU's in the van and likely the distructions or, I don't know the wattage of the beasty right now, what are the specs on the stabaliser, assuming this is what you use or was it just an example?

Amazon witters but I can't see details.....

Cheers again,

Si.

maybe this will explain a little more

Product Information
The Amperor voltage stabiliser ADP-90DC-12 is designed to provide a regulated 12 volt supply to sensitive electronic equipment used in caravans and motorhomes. The typical voltage inside a caravan or motorhome can vary from 10 volts to
15 volts depending upon the state of the leisure battery, what else is being used inside the vehicle and whether the battery is being charged or not at the time.

Many electronic appliances such as TVs and Laptops are not designed for such a wide variation of input supply and cannot tolerate this level of swings in voltage. It can be frustrating when watching a favourite TV programme and the TV switches itself off, just because a water pump is operated. Worse still, manufacturers of flat screen LCD type TVs advise us that their 12 volt TVs are actually damaged by voltages over about 13 volts. Flat screen TVs that should last a number of decades are being severely damaged within a few months. Such is the problem that some TV manufacturers are saying that their warranty is void if their TVs are used on unregulated 12 volt supplies.

The answer is to use the ADP-90DC-12 which will provide a stabiliser 12 volt output even if the input varies between 10 volts and 28 volts. The higher voltage specification allows 12 volt TVs to be powered from a 24 volt supply if required.

It comes with the S1 end (2.1mm x 5.5mm), adapters for other types of power socket are available. If your not sure which one you need, contact us.

The main features of the ADP-90DC-12 are: -

• Provides a stabilised 12 volt supply for safe operation of electronic equipment
  • The stabilised supply prevents damage to 12 volt flat screen TVs due to over voltage
  • The stabilised supply prevents premature switching off of TVs due to low voltage
  • Allows 12 volt equipment to be used on both 12 volt and 24 volt systems
regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we have the same tv and it is wired straight to the tv Ariel plug -12v- from the battery.The battery acts as a v/good stabiliser and for the last 18 mths or so has been no problem :thumb:
terry

T

The Meerkat

Deleted User
I purchased one of these Amperor stabiliser/regulators last week for my Mikomi LCD1501 which has the 4 pin connection, or as Amperor term it S3U, works a treat and now thinking of getting one for my pace box now .. . . .

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back