12v TV ( not Avtex ) recommendation (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
At the End of last week the TV in our Kitchen decided it was time to be going to the great TV in the sky and stopped producing a picture. its been ill for a while now :Doh:

Anyway i want a replacement that i can also use in the van. we currently have an Avtex in the van that is about 5 years old and it has all the bells and whistles but not that impressed with the picture or sound.

there was a few threads over a while back recommending a suitable low priced 16" - 19" TV and i cannot seem to locate the threads in the search. probably not searching the correct words.:Doh:

can anyone either point out the thread or recommend a TV.

Cheers.. oh and before i get the comments about not needing a TV in the motorhome "I have BEEN TOLD we do need on"!:Blush:

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
12v tv

Hi, we have got a luxor 19in tv with dvd. Bought it from asda for about £100 then purchased a 12v cable of ebay for £12 eveything seems to work fine for us. In the booklet, it says it uses 47 watts. hope thats some help.

oozzie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
there is a company on ebay called pc customiser and they are selling a 16 inch 12/24v tv that boasts a low 13watt [1amp] power usage complete with a stabilised power lead for about £150 . this would be ideal for periods where no ehu was available .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have got a tevion, aldi special in my van. good picture and sound quality and has been going strong for coming on 5 years now. the majority of cheap 19" tvs are 12v but not sold as motorhome accessories so much cheaper. look in your local tesco, currys or other retailer at their tvs. if it has a "brick" transformer in the power lead, it will be 12v 99% of the time. just pick up a 12v stabilised supply off ebay for about £10 - £15

mto

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
a newbie
We have had a Meos for about 3 years now, combined TV & dvd which, from memory, was less than £200, and it is fine.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have a cracking Finlux 19 inch TV/DVD/freeview combo, has a cracking picture quality on all methods including memory stick replaying.

The sound quality on its own is not 10 out of 10, however one of the best we have heard from a small, flat screen TV - we connected ours to the van speaker system and now have sound surround - 12 volt powered.

Highly recommended, bought from Finlux direct, though I am led to believe they are pretty scarce now - the 22 inch is even better though a tad too big for the area in our van so opted for the 19inch which is spot on.
:thumb:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Cello with freesat and DVD, 12 & 240 volt, low power consumption and wide viewing angle. Picture quality is superb. Bought ours from RoadPro on a show deal :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
polaroid for 89 quid from asda . make up a 12v lead they work really well. i bought a bright pink one in asda last year 49 quid . i can live with the colour for a 40 quid saving . i use a 4 way jack plug at the tv and a lead with a fused cigarette lighter plug .made it up from bits i had kicking around ..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have a cracking Finlux 19 inch TV/DVD/freeview combo, has a cracking picture quality on all methods including memory stick replaying.

The sound quality on its own is not 10 out of 10, however one of the best we have heard from a small, flat screen TV - we connected ours to the van speaker system and now have sound surround - 12 volt powered.

Highly recommended, bought from Finlux direct, though I am led to believe they are pretty scarce now - the 22 inch is even better though a tad too big for the area in our van so opted for the 19inch which is spot on.
:thumb:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:
Finlux 12v for us too - have this one http://www.finluxdirect.com/led-tvs...dm/invt/22f6072-dm&bklist=icat,3,shop,tvcombi
Good value for money (was on offer at £139 just after Xmas), great picture & dvd playback, ok sound, light for hanging on a tv bracket, low energy consumption, built in Freeview & PVR function so no digibox needed & have optional extended warranty - 22" (in stock online) is only slightly bigger case than 19" (not showing on their website at the moment oos?) as very slim frame. We have just bought a lead to plug it in to cab speaker system but not tried yet so don't know if it will be an improvement.
Tried Avtex combi tv & dvd playback was appalling picture quality so returned but do have Avtex aerial & their hard sided storage case & both are excellent. This is a great bracket for easy removal of tv when travelling Broken Link Removed :thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
This is the first time I have heard negative views on Avtex TV's just very surprised, we have two and cannot fault them bought them on recommendation from others, the cheap ones we have tried the sound was tinny, but guess each to their own as long as it works for you is the main thing.

Sorry didn`t mean to highjack the thread.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This is the first time I have heard negative views on Avtex TV's just very surprised, we have two and cannot fault them bought them on recommendation from others, the cheap ones we have tried the sound was tinny, but guess each to their own as long as it works for you is the main thing.

Sorry didn`t mean to highjack the thread.
We bought the latest model Avtex & the picture was good & sound ok but it was playing back dvds that let it down both on picture & sound quality so we had to return it. Being able to watch a good film at the end of a busy day when away is one of our favourite family things to do (especially in areas with poor tv reception) so an essential function for us.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Cello for me. I am very impressed with the pricing, sound and picture. Plays DVD and has a USB port too. Bought from Amazon. Decided Avtex was too expensive as don't watch too much tv anyway.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Akura for us, have 2 work on 12v or 240, first one a 16" is still going strong and is several years old now, bought a new one a couple of years ago with built in freeview and dvd player which is 18.5/19", they came with a 12v cig plug connector as well as the 240v they are multi frequency so can be used to pick up local tv broadcasts in europe, pc connection etc

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought the Cello 20234f, it is a 20in screen but in a small package, we had been looking at the AVTEX L186DR, but this fitted in the same spot and in theory is a 1.5in bigger. Had to buy a seperate 12v adapter 13.00 off ebay though.

Broken Link Removed

Picture good, easy to setup, EPG nice and quick.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yup lots of people bought Finlux on my advice :roflmto:

CA_02261422075189-L.jpg

Big enough to watch in bed too
CA_05201423011154-L.jpg

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I know you said not an avtex but yours is 5 years old and models and technology has significantly changed since then.
Our new one has excellent picture, so it may be worth looking at the new ones before dismissing

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
I bought a Cello also a few months ago when Ebuyer had a special daily deal on them. Works fine so far great pic and sound ! Only time will tell :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I had an Avtex that went kaput, so I bought a Finlux. Very pleased with it.their customer care service has been excellent. I had a problem, my own fault, and they picked tv up next day and returned it sorted within a week! I'd definitely get another.
Cheers
Dai

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for all the replies, have decided to go for the Cello 12 volt, DVD 20" at £169 delivered. lets hope ive made a good choice.

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
while talking of TVs I have seen some 12 tvs with free view built in, now does this mean that they can receive free view through a sattalite dish or will they still need a freeview box?

just a dish is cheaper than a kit so may be worth buying a TV with built in free view?

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
while talking of TVs I have seen some 12 tvs with free view built in, now does this mean that they can receive free view through a sattalite dish or will they still need a freeview box?

just a dish is cheaper than a kit so may be worth buying a TV with built in free view?

all tvs come now with freeview channels for uk ( ariel needed ) but you can get some with freesat built in also, so just need sat dish

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
thanks for all the replies, have decided to go for the Cello 12 volt, DVD 20" at £169 delivered. lets hope ive made a good choice.
Why are you paying such a high price for this? where from?

example
Broken Link Removed

even cheaper
Broken Link Removed

just needs a 12 volt lead

Last edited:

Vanyasha

Free Member
Aug 1, 2017
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425 2005
Exp
Started May 2016
At the End of last week the TV in our Kitchen decided it was time to be going to the great TV in the sky and stopped producing a picture. its been ill for a while now :Doh:

Anyway i want a replacement that i can also use in the van. we currently have an Avtex in the van that is about 5 years old and it has all the bells and whistles but not that impressed with the picture or sound.

there was a few threads over a while back recommending a suitable low priced 16" - 19" TV and i cannot seem to locate the threads in the search. probably not searching the correct words.:Doh:

can anyone either point out the thread or recommend a TV.

Cheers.. oh and before i get the comments about not needing a TV in the motorhome "I have BEEN TOLD we do need on"!:Blush:

Hi Phil
I am looking at Falcon TVs. Check the wattage/Ah as these seem to vary. Falcon seem reasonable and lightweight. 16" with satellite is 1.25Ah/15W and less than 2K without stand. A lot cheaper than Avtex. Soundbar available for better sound

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Phil
I am looking at Falcon TVs. Check the wattage/Ah as these seem to vary. Falcon seem reasonable and lightweight. 16" with satellite is 1.25Ah/15W and less than 2K without stand. A lot cheaper than Avtex. Soundbar available for better sound[/QUOTE
phil bought his new tv 3 years ago, this is an old thread

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have a Cello with freesat and DVD, 12 & 240 volt, low power consumption and wide viewing angle. Picture quality is superb. Bought ours from RoadPro on a show deal :thumb:
We have one too but very disappointed with the sound quality so bought a little sound bar that is fantastic. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back